PDA

View Full Version : Preseason week 1- Browns @ Packers -8/14/10

Colts01
08-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Browns-27
Packers-24

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Jake Delhomme's Cleveland Browns debut was a smashing success, just like what the Green Bay Packers have come to expect from Aaron Rodgers.

Delhomme led the Browns to a touchdown in his only drive and Rodgers threw one of his own in Cleveland's 27-24 win on Saturday night in the exhibition opener decided on Phil Dawson's field goal as time expired.

Delhomme went 6 of 7 for 66 yards, including a fourth-and-1 flick to Mohamed Massaquoi for 12 yards that set up Jerome Harrison's 4-yard TD run. Backup Seneca Wallace added two touchdown passes.

Rodgers was similarly efficient, reading a corner blitz for a 25-yard TD pass to Greg Jennings. He finished 12 of 13 for 159 yards, but the Packers lost starting running back Ryan Grant after a hit to the head.

bluestree
08-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Green Bay's defense was dissappointing to say the least. They were vanilla, but also failed to play fundamentally sound. Mental mistakes, missed tackles. The starters were sharp on offense. Interestingly, the Browns were throwing a lot of blitzes at Rogers, perhaps trying to build some cohesion in the unit. Unusual for preseason. ARod and the rest of the guys handled the blitz and made the Browns pay. All in all , it was a learning experience. I look for the Packer's D to answer the call and play better next week.

GBPKS
08-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Whoops - did a post in the Packer forum and forgot about the Game Threads set-up...

I did peg the Browns as my surprise team for 2010, so maybe I shouldn't get all worked up about them jumping out to a 14-0 lead in the first preseason game, but the performances of the defense and special teams coverage units certainly were not encouraging. Obviously, Dom Capers didn't open up the bag of tricks in this game and we were playing without Clay Matthews, but I am hopeful to see a little more out of the defense next week at Seattle.

bluestree
08-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Actually, there were some good things going on for the Packers reserves. Guys were making plays here and there. Not too worried about how the defense played. The Browns were good but a fumble, a muffed punt and a 58 yd. fieldgoal set them up. I thought the Packers reserves were stronger. Also, as heard on NFLN, ARod was in midseason form. The offense looks unstoppable.

KevinG
08-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Agree with pretty much everything posted. The D looked unimpressive and the ST looked like more of the same. The 1st team offense appeared well oiled. Still, I take everything with a grain salt in the preseason games. I remember last preseason the Packers didn't give up a sack of ARod who emerged with a QB rating of 140+, then the season starts and the OL turns into turnstiles.