PDA

View Full Version : Preseason week 1- Bears @ Chargers -8/14/10

Colts01
08-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Chargers-25
Bears-10

SAN DIEGO -- Ryan Mathews had an impressive debut and the San Diego Chargers got along fine without holdouts Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill in a 25-10 preseason victory over the Chicago Bears on Saturday night.

Mathews, the first-round draft pick who will replace the departed LaDainian Tomlinson, gained 50 yards on nine carries and caught two passes for 11 yards. Philip Rivers threw a 28-yard touchdown pass to Legedu Naanee, one of the receivers the Bolts will depend on in Jackson's absence.

It was the Chargers' first game since a 17-14 playoff loss to the New York Jets, which was Tomlinson's last game with San Diego. He was released in February and signed with the Jets. The Chargers were 13-3 last year, winning their fourth straight AFC West title.

Docta
08-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Daniel Manning, Earl Bennett, and Brandon Manumaleuna aren't going to be playing.

Can't wait to see Peppers play.

msclemons
08-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Cutler to Knox looked like a winning combo. The Bears' 1st teamers held up very well against the Chargers' 1st teamers. The Chargers started gaining steam when the scrubs hit the field.

The biggest concern I saw for the Bears was the running game. It still looked anemic like last year. 2 yards and a pile of suck.

Colts01
08-15-2010, 01:50 AM
2 yards and a pile of suck.

that is the type of quote they need to have on broadcasts! that adult filter only cant be too far in the future!

Polishguy00
08-15-2010, 09:15 AM
I will give a more detailed analysis here once I watch the game tomorrow. It is playing on NFL Network tonight at 9pm.

From what I could tell from the limited hightlights and the play-by-play I had on my phone last night, the Bears are a work-in-progress which is not good in a make or break year for the regime. I will be looking at the depth of the team and take from that what I can.

DannyMilk
08-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I DVRd, so like you Polish I'll watch and then review...I was working but caught a little of the game...LOVED the pass protection so far...it wasn't flawless, but Cutler had all day on a couple of those passes to Knox...didn't like the running though...2 yards on every play it seemed...at least the 4 I saw haha...and I didn't like the injuries...I don't know if they're serious, and I think it's better to be cautious, but I just feel like that's a bad omen haha

ReaderM
08-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I was impressed at how decent the Bears Back-up QB Hanie played fine last night,surprised me with his play. Also Aromashodu shined as well. If i was a Bears fan however, I would highly worried about the O-line and how they played last night. They got no push upfront at all in the run game though Taylor ran hard and while they did decent pass protection, it was still no where near how it will have to be in the regular season. On the chargers end.. Penalties, Penalties, nothing more needs to be said

ElShay
08-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Ryan Mathew breaking tackles was a beautiful thing to watch. Cam Thomas and Dombrowski played pretty well. Although i'm concerned about Jammer, he's always been solid but looked a little slow against Knox.

Polishguy00
08-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Well, I watched the game. Other than the penalties called and the injuries to Bears players, here are a few things to take away from the game:

-Caleb Hanie was going to be a good back-up until his shoulder got crushed.
-Let's hope there are no key injuries to the line, although I liked the size and attempted hand-use by Webb.
-A shame that Major Wright got hurt already. It's only a busted finger, but he will sit out now and was making a lot of plays.
-Greg Mathews has a lack of hands, but I could have already told you that from watching a lot of Big Ten games.
-Ryan Matthews has that sneaky speed that Matt Forte showed in his year one. Without injury, he is absolutely as advertised.
-Urlacher looked like he still has speed, but ask me again in 12 weeks.
-It was against the Billy Volek crew, but Henry Melton may just develop into something. He used more than one move to get penetration.

Again, the only things you can get from preseason games is technique and see if guys play well against guys they should be playing well against.

DannyMilk
08-17-2010, 02:30 PM
The things I really took away is that Major Wright is for real, legit. Urlacher needs to tackle better, but yeah, absolutely does have the speed still, and you could tell he still has the passion...Ryan Mathews absolutely trucked Urlacher and Briggs on separate plays...I think he just moved up my fantasy board. Lastly, the defensive scheme for the Bears still bugs me. Still way too much cushion, and no pressure on the QB, and it drives me nuts. 3rd and 12 shouldn't be an easy conversion for the opposition, yet it seems like they get 13-17 consistently in that situation. I really hope it's not like this again this year, because I'm not sure myself, nor my TV which will be smashed, can handle the laid back Tampa 2 again.

Polishguy00
08-17-2010, 06:44 PM
The things I really took away is that Major Wright is for real, legit. Urlacher needs to tackle better, but yeah, absolutely does have the speed still, and you could tell he still has the passion...Ryan Mathews absolutely trucked Urlacher and Briggs on separate plays...I think he just moved up my fantasy board. Lastly, the defensive scheme for the Bears still bugs me. Still way too much cushion, and no pressure on the QB, and it drives me nuts. 3rd and 12 shouldn't be an easy conversion for the opposition, yet it seems like they get 13-17 consistently in that situation. I really hope it's not like this again this year, because I'm not sure myself, nor my TV which will be smashed, can handle the laid back Tampa 2 again.

Being a guy who once actually threw his shoe at the TV during a Bears game (Giants-Bears- 2004, I think), I think my TV needs one of those baseball nets in front of it. Right now, I've got at us 7-9 after I did my first take on the full NFL schedule. I always stew for a few days before looking again.

DannyMilk
08-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Our end of schedule is absolutely brutal...in order to be the best, we have to beat the best, and looking at it now we are in deep doo doo hahaha