• Recent Article Comments Widget

    Curtis

    Enemy Number One

    No. And Ray did plea 'not guilty' in his pre-trial intervention. I'll say there is probably an in... Go to last post

    Curtis 07-28-2014 05:48 PM
    iwatt

    Enemy Number One

    There is an echo chamber effect going on with Ray Rice now. Not sure if the NFL can backtrack and... Go to last post

    iwatt 07-28-2014 09:35 AM
    SpartaChris

    Enemy Number One

    I don't think they're getting a pass. I was commenting more on the general outrage expressed when... Go to last post

    SpartaChris 07-28-2014 08:55 AM
    Patrick Sullivan

    Enemy Number One

    Has anyone seen the video of Rice actually punching his fiance? Go to last post

    Patrick Sullivan 07-28-2014 08:01 AM
    hobbes27

    Enemy Number One

    Do you honestly think Ray Rice and the NFL is getting a pass here? I haven't heard one person... Go to last post

    hobbes27 07-28-2014 12:28 AM
    SpartaChris

    Enemy Number One

    The larger point that I didn't articulate well enough is that I feel like acts of violence should... Go to last post

    SpartaChris 07-27-2014 08:48 PM
    Nancy

    Enemy Number One

    Great article, Rich. NFL players (and former players) being charged with domestic abuse is nothing ... Go to last post

    Nancy 07-27-2014 08:30 PM
    Curtis

    Enemy Number One

    I really don't understand why people defend the players using and/or getting arrested for weed. It... Go to last post

    Curtis 07-27-2014 01:44 PM
    SpartaChris

    Enemy Number One

    Unless he's pointing a gun to someone's head and pulling the trigger, I think saying housing... Go to last post

    SpartaChris 07-27-2014 12:06 PM
  • Contributors


    Cris Collinsworth

    Former Pro Bowl wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals and Emmy-winning analyst from Sunday Night Football and Inside the NFL.
    Dave Lapham
    Has called game for the Bengals radio network for 25 years. Analyst for Big 12 games on Fox Sports Net. Played 10 years in the NFL for the Cincinnati Bengals.
    Turk Schonert
    NFL quarterback for 10 years with the Bengals and Falcons. Has served as quarterback coach for the Buccaneers, Bills, Panthers, Giants and Saints and Offensive Coordinator for the Bills.
    Phil McConkey
    Played 6 years in the NFL as a WR, punt returner and kick returner for the Giants, Packers, Cardinals and Chargers. Played college football at the Naval Academy and served in the U.S. Navy before joining the NFL. Best remembered for his oustanding game in Super Bowl XXI.
    Josina Anderson
    Josina "JoJo" Anderson is contributing reporter on Showtime's Inside the NFL and is a weekend co-anchor/reporter/producer for FOX 31 Sports in Denver, Colorado. Josina produces the nightly sportscasts and covers the Denver Broncos, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, and the Colorado Rockies.
    Jerry Jones
    NFL Draft Expert, has published the acclaimed Drugstore List since 1978.
    Russell S Baxter
    Researcher, writer and editor covering the NFL for over 30 years.
    Andy Freeland
    Statistician and researcher for NBC's Sunday Night Football.
  • Rex and the Jets Are Good and Have Made the NFL a Lot More Fun to Cover

    Rex Ryan and the New York Jets are probably the most interesting team to cover. They are not afraid to say what they believe to be true, that they are the best team in the NFL. After years of head coaches teaching their players to say nothing, the Jets are allowed to say anything. Ryan’s only stipulation is that they back it up on the field. I know that people in New York are disappointed that the Jets haven’t won a Super Bowl yet under Ryan, but look at what they have accomplished. Before Ryan the Jets were a very ordinary team, Ryan made them believe that they were special. His defense creates pressure without great pass rushers, and the hated Patriots are now trying to figure out a way to beat the Jets. Think about the power of that statement.

    No discussion of the Jets can start anywhere but on defense. Ryan, like Dick LeBeau, creates blitz like pressure without blitzing. He walks people around and the quarterback and offensive line has to guess who is coming. Often the offense gets it right and the pressure is picked up, but on those occasions when they make a mistake, it unsettles offenses.

    The Jets front seven is basically interchangeable in their run defense. Their strength is the ability to cover four gaps with three guys. Only the Jets, Patriots and Ravens can get away with that.

    The other major factor is Darrell Revis. The Jets rarely send more than five rushers allowing them six in coverage. But with Revis taking away the other team’s best receiver, the other five defenders are often left covering two or three of the offense’s lesser threats. Ryan’s zone blitzes scare offenses into leaving backs and tight ends in to help protect, exacerbating the situation. David Harris is a star and Bart Scott is a combination of Rex Ryan and Ray Lewis for the Jets. If the Jets’ CB Kyle Wilson lives up to expectations in his second year and Jim Leonhard returns to direct traffic, the Jets are going to be really tough to handle on defense. I keep trying to imagine the Jets with a top end pass rusher, it wouldn’t be fair.

    Offensively, the Jets are a running team built around a first class offensive line. The right side of Brandon Moore and Damien Woody provides the power and Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson provide the athleticism. Shonn Greene is a powerful guy that I really like, but needs work as a receiver. LT fills that roll.

    The passing game is a work in progress even though Santonio Holmes was incredible last year with his big plays. I still don’t know who will play opposite him this year, but that is a very important decision. With the way that the Jets can run it, the passing game has a great advantage. Mark Sanchez is always the story, but Ryan has done a great job of bringing him along slowly. I thought the Colts playoff game last year was the most confidence Ryan had ever shown in his young quarterback. If Sanchez keeps moving in the Phillip Rivers direction, the Patriots will have their hands full this year. But remember, the Patriots defense is young and growing up with Sanchez. Whoever takes the bigger jump this year may well decide the AFC East.

    Nothing will replace the Patriots-Colts game as the marquee regular season game, but the Jets-Patriots and Steelers-Ravens games are getting close. Rex Ryan has players lining up to play for him in New York, and that is an advantage that you simply cannot downplay. Don’t be surprised if the Jets make a big splash in free agency. NYC and Rex Ryan is an attractive combination for NFL players.

    Comments 49 Comments
    1. FrzzerBwler's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
      I posted this back in January. But it bears a look regarding this discussion. The Jesters really need to start drafting well or their window is gonna slam shut in a hurry.

      GoBig is your chart a sympton of bad drafting or the result of a good scouting staff? ie: number of free agents
    1. GoBigOrGoHome's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by FrzzerBwler View Post
      GoBig is your chart a sympton of bad drafting or the result of a good scouting staff? ie: number of free agents
      Probably a bit of both. I think its importance lies in the fact that the two teams with the most home-grown talent (Packers/Steelers) advanced to the Super Bowl. The Jets have some scary talent at the top of their roster. If they can keep all that talent on the field, they could be scary good. But their cupboard gets pretty bare when guys go down to injury. I don't think the Jets value depth as much as the Packers or Steelers. Lack of depth is going to be their Achilles heel. Whether or not they can avoid taking the proverbial arrow...
    1. MachoMenos's Avatar
      So now that Favre has retired the move is on to replace him with Rex "It's a personal matter" Ryan. Let me tell you a cold hard fact Chris: nobody outside NY cares.
    1. SpartaChris's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by MachoMenos View Post
      So now that Favre has retired the move is on to replace him with Rex "It's a personal matter" Ryan. Let me tell you a cold hard fact Cris: nobody outside NY cares.
      If I were a betting man, I'd wager to guess fewer people outside of San Diego care about the Chargers.

      Just sayin.
    1. mikesteelnation1's Avatar
      Sparta you are correct sir!! SD doesn't matter as long as smith is the gm. He's divisive and turns players off. Add to that norv turners bumbling playoff ways and you have total apathy for the chargers outside of SD. Tons of talent and it will never be realized. As a steelers fan all I can say is I hope the chargers make the playoffs and I hope we get to play them. We have good success!! On the jets.. Rex has been nothing short of awesome. He's done an incredible job but until sanchez matures and can be a weapon and until they cultivate their own talent I'd love to play them in the champ game every yr. I'm just sayin!!!
    1. GoBigOrGoHome's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by MachoMenos View Post
      So now that Favre has retired the move is on to replace him with Rex "It's a personal matter" Ryan. Let me tell you a cold hard fact Chris: nobody outside NY cares.
      This comment is germane to the conversation in what manner?
    1. GoBigOrGoHome's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
      Sparta you are correct sir!! SD doesn't matter as long as smith is the gm. He's divisive and turns players off. Add to that norv turners bumbling playoff ways and you have total apathy for the chargers outside of SD. Tons of talent and it will never be realized. As a steelers fan all I can say is I hope the chargers make the playoffs and I hope we get to play them. We have good success!! On the jets.. Rex has been nothing short of awesome. He's done an incredible job but until sanchez matures and can be a weapon and until they cultivate their own talent I'd love to play them in the champ game every yr. I'm just sayin!!!
      We get it, Mike. You are a proud Steelers fan. But, dude, stop being that guy. There is not one person here that is not cognizant of the Steelers' success in recent years (decades, really). Become part of the conversation, man. Don't be the guy on the mountain-top shouting into a megaphone. No one listens to that guy. Ever.
    1. Trumpetbdw's Avatar
      {You know, I'm in agreement. Why do the Steelers get no love on this site? How are the Jets more fun than Pittsburgh? How many Super Bowls have they been to over the past 6 seasons?}
    1. Trumpetbdw's Avatar
      {Look. I love the Steelers. I just... I got excited. I just wanted to shout it from on top of a mountain. But I didn't have a mountain. I had this forum, and you people.}

      {sarcasm, for those unaware}

      I love the Steelers as much as anyone, and will defend Roethlisberger (on the field) as vigorously as I'll fight against Dan Marino. But there's a time and a place for homerism. This isn't it. I go out of my way NOT to be that guy, because I fully understand that Steeler Nation is full of "that" guy. It doesn't play well, and I'm tired of the fact that I'm automatically associated as being "that" guy the second people realize I'm a Steeler fan. We're just trying to help you, Mike, but the over-the-top homerism doesn't make any of us look good. Keep it dignified, brother!


      Now, this is a Jets post, right? I agree with what GoBig posted. The Jets haven't had the success drafting, and don't worry too much about depth, which was blatantly obvious during last year's Hard Knocks. They have to be careful, because there's a fine line between arrogance and wisdom. Arrogance on the field, and to the press has played well for them, and I have no problem with it. But they seem to carry that arrogance over to the way they field their roster, and when you become too reliant on FA, just ask the Skins how that plays out. They seem to be teetering on that bubble.
    1. Cris Collinsworth's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by YankeesJets View Post
      During the Rex Ryan era, the Jets have moved picks pretty often. They traded away their first and second rounders in 09 along with a few players to the Browns to get Mark Sanchez. After helping the Jets get to back to back AFC title games, I'd say the gamble paid off.

      As far as the other picks, they gained a third from the Saints for Vilma but lost a third to the Packers to complete the Favre deal. The Jets sent their remaining 3rd, 4th, and 7th round picks to the Lions to move up in the 3rd to pick up Shonn Greene. Greene has not lived up to the expectations following his 2009 playoff run.

      The Jets also traded away their 5th and a conditional pick in 2010 for Lito Sheppard. The Jets used their remaining pick on Matt Slauson in the 6th round.

      In 2010 it was more of the same, as the Jets traded away their 3rd and 5th rounders along with a few players to the Browns for Braylon Edwards. Their 4th rounder went to the Eagles to complete the Lito Sheppard deal. They also packaged a 4th they received for Kerry Rhodes along with their 6th rounder to the Panthers to move up in the 4th round to pick up Joe McKnight. And finally they traded Leon Washington and their 7th rounder to the Seahawks for the 5th rounder that became John Connor.

      The Jets entered the 2011 draft without a 2nd round pick which went to the Chargers for Cromartie, and without a 7th, which went to the Lions for Kevin O'Connell. They also swapped their 5th and 6th rounders with the Eagles for the Eagles 5th and 7th rounders.

      My head hurts,lol.
      Wow! Thanks. Are you new to Football Pros? That was really impressive. That is exactly what I love about this site. When I don't know something, I just throw it out there and fans that know that team have detailed answers. So cool. Thanks.
    1. Cris Collinsworth's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by MachoMenos View Post
      So now that Favre has retired the move is on to replace him with Rex "It's a personal matter" Ryan. Let me tell you a cold hard fact Chris: nobody outside NY cares.
      Not true....I care and I live in Kentucky...which is certainly NOT New York.
    1. Cris Collinsworth's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Russell S Baxter View Post
      Dating back to 2008, the Jets have adopted a "win-now" philosophy. They missed the playoffs in '08 but reached the AFC title game the last 2 years. But they have been constructed via free agency and trades and eventually, without a solid corps of young homegrown players, that will catch up with them. Of course, if they can finally close the deal and win a Super Bowl, it will all been worth it. Still, they have yet to unseat the Patriots in the AFC East and haven't won a division title since 2002. In some ways, they are like the current Ravens, a team that reaches the playoffs via the wild card and enjoys some postseason success but haven't been able to get to the Super Bowl. Funny enough, Baltimore has lost in the playoffs to the last 3 eventual AFC champions, as have the Jets the last 2 years. Perhaps some home playoff games would do the Ravens and Jets some good...
      Never thought about comparing the Jets and Ravens. Two really good teams in a division against great franchises. Really true except the Jets did beat the Pats in a playoff game. Ravens haven't gotten the Steelers yet I don't think.
    1. Cris Collinsworth's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by FrzzerBwler View Post
      Has there ever been a HC that had players wanting to go there to the degree that Rex has?

      To what extent has Rex's brash style hurt his brother's chances of becoming a HC?
      I think Bill Walsh and the 49ers had a little of that, but as much because DeBartalo was paying second stringers first string money.
    1. Cris Collinsworth's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
      {Look. I love the Steelers. I just... I got excited. I just wanted to shout it from on top of a mountain. But I didn't have a mountain. I had this forum, and you people.}

      {sarcasm, for those unaware}

      I love the Steelers as much as anyone, and will defend Roethlisberger (on the field) as vigorously as I'll fight against Dan Marino. But there's a time and a place for homerism. This isn't it. I go out of my way NOT to be that guy, because I fully understand that Steeler Nation is full of "that" guy. It doesn't play well, and I'm tired of the fact that I'm automatically associated as being "that" guy the second people realize I'm a Steeler fan. We're just trying to help you, Mike, but the over-the-top homerism doesn't make any of us look good. Keep it dignified, brother!


      Now, this is a Jets post, right? I agree with what GoBig posted. The Jets haven't had the success drafting, and don't worry too much about depth, which was blatantly obvious during last year's Hard Knocks. They have to be careful, because there's a fine line between arrogance and wisdom. Arrogance on the field, and to the press has played well for them, and I have no problem with it. But they seem to carry that arrogance over to the way they field their roster, and when you become too reliant on FA, just ask the Skins how that plays out. They seem to be teetering on that bubble.
      Good point. I once preached that older teams were not as good, but I saw statistics in the 90's that the Packers, Cowboys, and 49ers all had rosters that were filled with older talent. I don't know where that stands today with a cap.
    1. SpartaChris's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
      This comment is germane to the conversation in what manner?
      Probably bitter because Rex Ryan got more out of Cromartie and Tomlinson last season than Turner did the season before.
    1. GoBigOrGoHome's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Cris Collinsworth View Post
      Good point. I once preached that older teams were not as good, but I saw statistics in the 90's that the Packers, Cowboys, and 49ers all had rosters that were filled with older talent. I don't know where that stands today with a cap.
      I remember watching Rickey Jackson celebrate like a wild man once the 49ers had the 1994-95 NFCCG in the bag. At age 36, he earned a $2 million bonus for helping San Fran make it to the Super Bowl. There was a lot of that going on in the early years of free agency (older guys chasing rings).
    1. MachoMenos's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Cris Collinsworth View Post
      Not true....I care and I live in Kentucky...which is certainly NOT New York.
      Last time I checked there are no pro football teams in Kentucky and don't you frequently have to go back and forth to the Big Apple for NBC and Showtime? Makes you an adopted New Yorker in my eyes.

      All kidding aside, I truly respect your opinions on the NFL. I just cannot understand why you would devote more space for yet another article on Ryan. I understand how the NFL has certain story lines that they try to exploit. But, just how I got tired of the ceaseless barrage of "Will Favre come out of retirement again?" stories, I am already completely tired of having Ryan's every word treated as if it were gospel. I mean for how many years will I have to hear that Ryan is yet again guaranteeing a Jets Super Bowl victory? Let me guess: for as long as he coaches the NY jets.

      (BTW, I respected Peter King's opinions too until he actually had the gall to put Mark Sanchez in his top 5 for NFL MVP last year after a few late winning drives against a few very mediocre teams in the middle of the season. Just another example of a bone thrown to a NY team.)

      All I am saying is that there are more than the 4 or five story lines in the NFL. If those stories were exploited as well as the ones on heavy rotation on NFL Network, etc. the NFL would be even bigger than it is now.
    1. SpartaChris's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by MachoMenos View Post
      Last time I checked there are no pro football teams in Kentucky and don't you frequently have to go back and forth to the Big Apple for NBC and Showtime? Makes you an adopted New Yorker in my eyes.

      All kidding aside, I truly respect your opinions on the NFL. I just cannot understand why you would devote more space for yet another article on Ryan. I understand how the NFL has certain story lines that they try to exploit. But, just how I got tired of the ceaseless barrage of "Will Favre come out of retirement again?" stories, I am already completely tired of having Ryan's every word treated as if it were gospel. I mean for how many years will I have to hear that Ryan is yet again guaranteeing a Jets Super Bowl victory? Let me guess: for as long as he coaches the NY jets.

      (BTW, I respected Peter King's opinions too until he actually had the gall to put Mark Sanchez in his top 5 for NFL MVP last year after a few late winning drives against a few very mediocre teams in the middle of the season. Just another example of a bone thrown to a NY team.)

      All I am saying is that there are more than the 4 or five story lines in the NFL. If those stories were exploited as well as the ones on heavy rotation on NFL Network, etc. the NFL would be even bigger than it is now.
      Since you're not paying attention, he's covering all 32 teams, in the (Relative) order they finished. It's not just another article devoted to Rex or the Jets.

      Please, don't be that guy. Your team will get their due as well, and when they do, you can chime in and discuss all things powder blue.
    1. msclemons's Avatar
      I'm rather impressed by how well Cris plastered over my Wes Welker imitation. Very smooth.
    1. mikesteelnation1's Avatar
      Gobigorgohome,

      I'm no homer. A homer is a fan who shows blind allegiance and trumpets nonsense that isn't based in reality. Not a single thing I posted was not accurate, intelligent, and well thought out. I'm a proud fan and I like to talk about it, but I won't do it based on homerism. For instance I will never say I'd love to face the pats in the playoffs. They are our kryptonite. We have not had success playing them when Brady is in the lineup.. and when the lions win a playoff game in the next few years, as I know they will I'm sure you'll be just as proud of your team as I am of mine. I love what Schwartz has done there..