Only four of our Upset Special Possibilties came in last week (Titans, Seahawks, Broncos & Raiders). I was stunned to not see anyone riding the Cryptkeeper's Gang. They have been a hot pick this year in this contest.
Congratulations to msclemons for holding onto the top spot and putting some distance between himself and the rest of the field by correctly picking the Seahawks (+7) last week. Clem isn't doing bad for a guy who, to quote Turk Schonert, "couldn't pick his nose in this competition last year". He is sitting at 8 wins and a whopping 42 points. Afrocomb, darvon, cml, and red13 are parked in second place at 6 wins each. As always, full standings will be posted by the professor in this thread.
Now, welcome to Week #11 of the FP Upset Special. Let's get busy.
You can join us every week. You can join mid-season. If you miss a week, so what? Come back next week. We're just glad you're here. Talk smack if you want. Keep it clean and be prepared to back it up. There are some folks here at FP that really know football.
- One pick per week
- Your chosen team must be at least a (+3) underdog
- Your chosen team must win the game outright (no 'pushes' or 'covers')
- Season winner is the one with the most upsets correctly chosen between Week #1 through the Conference Championship Games (20 weeks all together)
- There will be a points system to determine a winner in the event of a tie
- Points will be accumulated by adding the game spreads for your correct picks (if you take Carolina (+4.5) and Carolina wins, you will be awarded a win and 4.5 points). Be careful making picks based on the number of points possible. Points only count if you are tied for the total wins lead when the whole contest is finished.
- The No Upsets Option: Predict correctly that 'No Upsets' will occur in any given week and you will be awarded one win and a point total equal to the sum of all the spreads in that week's Upset Special. If you wish to exercise the 'No Upsets' Option, that prediction is due by 5 minutes prior to kickoff of the first game of the week in question. This includes Thursday Night Football and Saturday games. The 'No Upsets' option is confined to the Upset Possibilities listed in this article.
- Picks are due no later than 5 minutes before the scheduled start of the broadcast time for your game. The FootballPros.com time stamp on your post is gospel.
- Spread lines will be posted Thursday and will remain static throughout the week. This isn't The Sports Book at Caesar's Palace, after all.
Prizes to be determined but may include a cool icon denoting your status as *ahem* Upset Special Top Dog, a hat or t-shirt or possibly tickets to the Super Bowl (NOT!!).
Let's. Get it. ON!!
Week #11 Upset Special possibilities (odds by OddsShark). Underdogs in bold. All times Eastern.
Thurday Night Football (8:20 PM)
- Jets @ Broncos (+6.5)
Sunday 1:00 games
- Bengals (+7) @ Ravens
- Panthers (+7) @ Lions
- Buccaneers (+14) @ Packers
- Cowboys @ Redskins (+8)
Sunday 4:15 games
- Cardinals (+9.5) @ 49ers
- Titans (+6.5) @ Falcons
- Chargers (+3.5) @ Bears
Sunday Night Football (8:20 kick)
- Eagles (+4.5) @ Giants
Monday Night Football (8:30 kick)
- Chiefs (+14.5) @ Patriots
Biggie's Week #11 Upset Special:
Lots of big spreads this week. If the wiseguys have it right, Week #11 will see some blowouts. Of course this means that we are in for a weekend of ugly, low-scoring contests and a couple real headscratchers. I'm looking at the slate and I see one game that features a team that played a night game on Sunday and now must play another night game on TNF a mere 92 1/2 hours afterwards. While the Broncos are very tempting, I can't see that Jesters defense letting Saint Timothy get the better of them.
I can't believe I'm gonna do this. Gimme the Panthers (+7) @ Lions. Detroit can't run the ball and they can't stop the run, either. The Lions' defensive line has a bad tendency to overpursue when going after the quarterback. Cam Newton should have a vintage Cam game with some nice runs to keep the chains moving. Matt Stafford has a broken finger. Not just any broken finger, either. It is his index finger. On his throwing hand. Bad Juju? Bad Juju.
The Council of the.... ummmm, errrrr.....Learned? has made its pick for the TNF game this week. By Polishguy00
NY Jets at Denver 8:20 PM- A couple red-flagged games last week did cost the Council some wins. I think this is another red flag game. The Jets lost to a rival at night and have to play four days later across the country. New York should complain about this scheduling. Again, though, how does Eli incite so much debate in the Big Apple when Sanchez is playing so much worse? PICK: NY Jets (5-2)