• Recent Article Comments Widget

    DaBearsFan

    Mock Draft 5.0 - Round 1

    I feel like Aaron Donald has been penciled in for Chicago for a while (since it seems like... Go to last post

    DaBearsFan 04-23-2014 08:32 PM
    wxwax

    Mock Draft 5.0 - Round 1

    That seems to pass the smell test, assuming nobody moves up or down.

    I keep seeing Aaron Donald... Go to last post

    wxwax 04-23-2014 08:19 PM
    mkocs6

    Mock Draft 5.0 - Round 1

    You know, I didn't even notice that, but it certainly looks like a mistake. Go to last post

    mkocs6 04-23-2014 07:41 PM
    Patrick Sullivan

    Mock Draft 5.0 - Round 1

    This is mock draft being run at SBNation's Lions blog.

    Pride of Detroit's 2014 Community Draft... Go to last post

    Patrick Sullivan 04-23-2014 06:34 PM
    wxwax

    Mock Draft 5.0 - Round 1

    One name glaringly absent from that list is Auburn OT Greg Robinson. It's thought that Atlanta... Go to last post

    wxwax 04-23-2014 04:27 PM
    wxwax

    Mock Draft 5.0 - Round 1

    I agree. However, he has a poor draft history with big men, Peria Jerry being the biggest whiff. I... Go to last post

    wxwax 04-23-2014 04:23 PM
    mkocs6

    Mock Draft 5.0 - Round 1

    If we're re-posting mocks here (which I don't think is a bad thing), try this one on for size from... Go to last post

    mkocs6 04-23-2014 02:50 PM
    mkocs6

    Mock Draft 5.0 - Round 1

    If the Texans are looking to trade, I agree that Atlanta is a decent dance partner. They can still... Go to last post

    mkocs6 04-23-2014 01:59 AM
    wxwax

    Mock Draft 5.0 - Round 1

    It might be, although that particular writer hasn't been obsessed with Clowney. He thinks if the... Go to last post

    wxwax 04-23-2014 12:21 AM
  • Contributors


    Cris Collinsworth

    Former Pro Bowl wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals and Emmy-winning analyst from Sunday Night Football and Inside the NFL.
    Dave Lapham
    Has called game for the Bengals radio network for 25 years. Analyst for Big 12 games on Fox Sports Net. Played 10 years in the NFL for the Cincinnati Bengals.
    Turk Schonert
    NFL quarterback for 10 years with the Bengals and Falcons. Has served as quarterback coach for the Buccaneers, Bills, Panthers, Giants and Saints and Offensive Coordinator for the Bills.
    Phil McConkey
    Played 6 years in the NFL as a WR, punt returner and kick returner for the Giants, Packers, Cardinals and Chargers. Played college football at the Naval Academy and served in the U.S. Navy before joining the NFL. Best remembered for his oustanding game in Super Bowl XXI.
    Josina Anderson
    Josina "JoJo" Anderson is contributing reporter on Showtime's Inside the NFL and is a weekend co-anchor/reporter/producer for FOX 31 Sports in Denver, Colorado. Josina produces the nightly sportscasts and covers the Denver Broncos, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, and the Colorado Rockies.
    Jerry Jones
    NFL Draft Expert, has published the acclaimed Drugstore List since 1978.
    Russell S Baxter
    Researcher, writer and editor covering the NFL for over 30 years.
    Andy Freeland
    Statistician and researcher for NBC's Sunday Night Football.
  • Playoff Certainty? You Would Be Lion

    Five weeks into the season, they were one of the trending topics per say around the league. But sometimes when the “F” in NFL stands for Fickled, it’s suddenly getting a little harder to get a gauge on those Detroit Lions. And after the dust clears per say Sunday night at the Superdome, it may or may not be even harder to figure if this franchise is ready to end their long postseason frustrations.

    But back to early October, when a 24-13 Monday night win over the visiting Bears gave Jim Schwartz’s team a perfect 5-0 record--the team’s best start since 1956--matching the defending Super Bowl champion Packers as the lone unbeatens in the league. But it’s been a little rocky ever since as the Lions have dropped 4 of their last 6 games, including a 27-15 setback at home on Thanksgiving afternoon against these said Packers in which the Detroit squandered numerous opportunities via penalties and/or ejections (DT Ndamukong Suh) and turnovers, all of the latter courtesy of 3 interceptions by QB Matthew Stafford.

    To say the Lions have been even more erratic as of late would be an understatement. In their last 3 games, Schwartz’s club has coughed up the ball a dozen times, a shocking numbers considering this club gave up the football just 5 times in their first 8 contests. The setback to Green Bay was preceded by 6 turnovers and a 37-13 loss at Chicago, then a 49-35 win over the defensively-challenged Panthers in which Detroit rallied from a 24-7 deficit. All told, the Lions have given up 99 points in their last 3 games (after giving up 147 in their first 8 contests) and Stafford has been less than sensational--serving up 9 of his 13 interceptions during the current 3-game stretch.

    Now it’s a date with the Saints, who have not only won all 5 of their home games this season but all in convincing fashion courtesy of a combined 208-93 score, including a 49-24 blowout of the reeling Giants on Monday night. And Schwartz’s team will face QB Drew Brees and company sans Suh, who has been suspended for the next 2 games for his infamous actions on Thanksgiving Day. And considering harassing Brees is your best option for a victory over the Saints, Detroit’s pass rush certainly won’t benefit from Suh’s absence.

    Regardless of what happen on Sunday evening at New Orleans, the Lions are still very much in the hunt for a playoff invite. But can they close the deal and reach the postseason for the first time since 1999 (tied with the Bills for the longest current drought in the league)? There are home dates with the Vikings and Chargers and trips to Oakland and to Lambeau Field remaining on the horizon. But as we all know that in this league it’s not necessarily who you’re playing but how.

    So can the Lions regain their footing and make good on their promising start? We’re starting to learn that with this team, win or lose, it’s not going to be easy as some perhaps thought.

    Comments 19 Comments
    1. msclemons's Avatar
      Looking at the schedule going forward the Lions have a real good shot at going 10-6. They're better than the Vikings, Raiders and Chargers. The question is, will 10-6 get a wildcard in the NFC?
    1. JerryMac's Avatar
      I think the Lions have a tough road ahead....the hot Saints next and a tough schedule the rest of the way. They were a great early season story while it lasted but I think Mo-Town is looking like No-Town...as in NO playoffs this year for the Lions...
    1. Russell S Baxter's Avatar
      This will be interesting if they don't close the deal. Remember they were 6-2 in 2007, then lost not only 7 of their last 8 games but 25 of their next 26, including 19 straight. Not saying that would happen again but since that 5-0 start, 3 of their 4 losses at home to 49ers, Falcons and Packers. Likely need at least 3 wins in last 5 games to snap that playoff drought...
    1. JerryMac's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Russell S Baxter View Post
      This will be interesting if they don't close the deal. Remember they were 6-2 in 2007, then lost not only 7 of their last 8 games but 25 of their next 26, including 19 straight. Not saying that would happen again but since that 5-0 start, 3 of their 4 losses at home to 49ers, Falcons and Packers. Likely need at least 3 wins in last 5 games to snap that playoff drought...
      Exactly...I can see them losing 4 out of 5 with the only win coming against the Vikings...
    1. msclemons's Avatar
      The Lions' 4 losses have been against really good teams. They aren't blowing games to bad teams like the Giants are.

      I think they can pull out 10-6. If they don't the fans are going to be vicious though. Nothing is worse than having your hopes raised and then dashed.
    1. GoBigOrGoHome's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
      The Lions' 4 losses have been against really good teams. They aren't blowing games to bad teams like the Giants are.

      I think they can pull out 10-6. If they don't the fans are going to be vicious though. Nothing is worse than having your hopes raised and then dashed.
      Nah. Remember, this fanbase endured (0-16) just three season ago. This season has been frustrating at times, sure. But I'll take this over the garbage my guys put on the field for 8 years any time.
    1. msclemons's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
      Nah. Remember, this fanbase endured (0-16) just three season ago. This season has been frustrating at times, sure. But I'll take this over the garbage my guys put on the field for 8 years any time.
      No, you will be vicious and write things like THIS. I need entertainment.
    1. brauneyz's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
      Nah. Remember, this fanbase endured (0-16) just three season ago. This season has been frustrating at times, sure. But I'll take this over the garbage my guys put on the field for 8 years any time.
      Yeah, I agree. Lions fans should be optimistic. Chargers fans should be suicidal. For so long, so much talent, so much wasted potential ...
    1. DannyMilk's Avatar
      JerryMac, I don't think that it's a tough schedule. Oakland is average, SD is horrible, Minnesota is horrible. Even with the injuries, Suh, and everything else going on, this is a good team. My Bears are, well, yeah, and ATL is tough to figure out. Giants may go away soon, so that doesn't leave much but to just take care of business. Bears own the tiebreaker though, correct?
    1. BuckeyeRidley's Avatar
      I certainly want my Saints to win tonight. They are at home, where no team has lost this season, & they have Drew Brees bein' his typical self. The work they've done this season has been pretty good & will afford them the #1 seed in the NFC South when all's done by end of Week 17. Lions on the other hand are playing to be #2 in the NFC North. They will battle Chicago despite their QB sub made. The Lions will end up winning the division but they ain't cake walkin there. This SNF match-up will still be fun without any legal play from Suh. They will find themselves working for everything they get in this last month of games. It will be fun to watch them; I don't expect a BUF like collapse from them.
    1. mikesteelnation1's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRidley View Post
      I certainly want my Saints to win tonight. They are at home, where no team has lost this season, & they have Drew Brees bein' his typical self. The work they've done this season has been pretty good & will afford them the #1 seed in the NFC South when all's done by end of Week 17. Lions on the other hand are playing to be #2 in the NFC North. They will battle Chicago despite their QB sub made. The Lions will end up winning the division but they ain't cake walkin there. This SNF match-up will still be fun without any legal play from Suh. They will find themselves working for everything they get in this last month of games. It will be fun to watch them; I don't expect a BUF like collapse from them.
      Buckeye,

      SERIOUSLY? "Your saints"???!!!! How many teams do you have? This is the 3rd post this week about "your" team and all 3 of those were different from the team avatar in your profile! Which is it? NFL football is like highlander "there can be only one".

      Biggie, please amend your "buckeye 6" to the "buckeye lucky 7"...

      Now back to the post.. 10-6 is possible and probably enough after the lions get dismantled by the saints. The roadblocks are the falcons and bears. However, even if its 10-6 and no playoffs that's a monumental step forward for this franchise. No one could have expected that this quickly after a winless season..
    1. BuckeyeRidley's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
      Buckeye,

      SERIOUSLY? "Your saints"???!!!! How many teams do you have? This is the 3rd post this week about "your" team and all 3 of those were different from the team avatar in your profile! Which is it? NFL football is like highlander "there can be only one".

      Biggie, please amend your "buckeye 6" to the "buckeye lucky 7"...

      Now back to the post.. 10-6 is possible and probably enough after the lions get dismantled by the saints. The roadblocks are the falcons and bears. However, even if its 10-6 and no playoffs that's a monumental step forward for this franchise. No one could have expected that this quickly after a winless season..
      Nope; I got 7 total. Deal With It.
    1. iwatt's Avatar
      The loss to the Falcons hurts the Lions given the potential need for tiebreakers. Also, I think all of their losses are inside the conference, which also hurts the tiebreaker
    1. darvon's Avatar
      It's going to be hard to get to 10. We are just a middle level team that peaked for a couple of games early. I think the Chicago loss was the diff between 9 and 10, but Big thinks we can win the week 17 GB game.

      It's gonna be real close. And Lions fans will be reasonably happy either way, although best team not making the playoffs will be frustrating for a week.

      It has started to give us the taste that we are actually in the game this year.
    1. Pruitt's Avatar
      regardless of what happens here on in, Lions fans can go into the off-season in a better mood than they have been in for a long time. Another year of maturity, and another good draft and you could be looking at a powerhouse.
    1. Dave Lapham's Avatar
      The Lions biggest problem in their recent struggles is a loss of poise. Suh's antics on Thanksgiving serve as the poster child moment, but Suh didn't play vs. the Saints. The loss of composure and poise by the Lions that resulted in self destruction penalties were crippling. They have to take themselves off their schedule and start playing smarter football. Schwartz needs to regain control of the ship....it is rudderless right now. They need to take care of their own business first. It would be a hell of a lot easier to take care of opponents then.
    1. iwatt's Avatar
      Shwartz created the bigger discpline issue with handshake-gate
    1. GoBigOrGoHome's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
      No, you will be vicious and write things like THIS. I need entertainment.
      If we're going to be that way about it....

      I have been a staunch supporter of The Schwartz. But my patience is wearing very thin. To quote Dom Raiola "Grow the **** up." Yes, mister I flipped off the fans is the sage voice of reason in the locker room for the Lions. Yikes.

      At this point I'd be happy to see the Laydowns miss the playoffs this year. That would make one less opportunity for them to embarrass themselves on the national stage.

      And in other news, Ndamukong Suh just picked up another personal foul penalty for spitting on the parking meter he just ran over.
    1. Trumpetbdw's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
      Shwartz created the bigger discpline issue with handshake-gate
      Absolutely. That whole incident began their downfall, and has become the defining moment of their season, leading to the newest production of "STOMP". A team is a reflection of their coach, and no incident better illustrates that fact than Schwartz's reaction following their first loss.