Penthouse to Outhouse - Week 15
Sunday Bloody Sunday was the catch phrase this week for the favorites. Too many teams failed to take advantage of their opportunity in this playoff race. Aaron Rodgers has attained "Elvis" status (even with a slip up) and gets his own Penthouse floor (just like Elvis in Las Vegas), so he doesn't qualify for a suite. Here are my Penthouse Sweets and my Outhouse Stinkers for Week #15. Any other nominees?
(Suite 1A) KC Chiefs Team - With an interim coach, the Chiefs took the field against the undefeated GB Packers, few gave them a chance. All they did was dominate the game on their way to a 19-14 upset win. They also stopped GB's 19 game winning streak. The defense held MVP candidate A. Rodgers to below 50% completion for the first time this season. The offense was efficient and ball controlling. This Sunday, KC looked like the playoff team.
(Suite 2A) Matt Stafford/Calvin Johnson - These two have to go together, they were unstoppable in a very important game on the road against a team fighting for their playoff lives. Down by 13 with 7:47 left in the 4th qtr, Stafford rallied his team, including big throws to MegaTron. The final laser came with just 39 seconds left in the game (a 6 yard TD pass to Johnson), completing a 98 yard drive in 1 min 35 sec. Stafford went 29-52 for 391 yds and 4 TD's while his partner had 9 catches for 214 yds and 2 TD's. Talk about a "Dynamic Duo".
(Suite 3A) Drew Brees - Drew is lobbying for "Elvis" status, and he is getting closer and closer to that status every week. I know that he went up against a bad team (Vikings) but he was spectacular!! Brees was 32-40 (80%) for 412 yds and 5 TD's. Dan Marino ... move over, there's a new sheriff in town ... and his name is Reggie Hammond
... I mean Drew Brees.
(Suite 4A) Donald Brown - Talk about making people feel good again, and during Christmas week to boot. Staring at an o-fer is a sick feeling, winning is the only elixir. Brown provided good times in Indy again by rushing for 161 yards on only 16 carries, finishing it off with a game clinching, electrifying, 80 yd reverse the field TD run. Thanks for playing Santa Donald, a lot of folks in Indy had a win on their Xmas list.
(Suite 5A) Reggie Bush - Reggie has been changing peoples perception of him as a running back the entire season. Sunday's performance didn't change those thoughts. His performance put a stamp on his growth as an every down back who has the ability to run inside, as well as outside. Bush ran through and around the Buffalo Bills defense for a career best 203 yds and 1 TD on a cold day in Buffalo. I didn't think someone could be that elusive in long underwear. I'm impressed!!!
(Special Weekend Stay Suite) The Sack Masters - You need at least 3 sacks in a game to get into this Suite. This week we had four. John Abraham (Atl) had 3 1/2 sacks plus 2 forced fumbles, Antwan Barnes (SD) had 4 sacks vs Baltimore, Jason Babin (Phil) had 3 sacks in their win over the Jets, and finally, Tamba Hall (KC) sacked A. Rodgers 3 times in their upset win over GB.
(One Night Stay Suite) Brent Celek – All this Eagles TE did was catch 5 passes for 156 yards and a TD against the Jets. Anybody who averages over 31 yds per catch gets a 1 night stay in the Suites. Maybe the Jets should have put Revis on him.
9. Big Ben – Being injured doesn't get Ben off the hook. You can't turn the ball over 4 times against a good football team, especially at their place.
8. Baltimore Raven Defense – They didn't force the Chargers to punt 1 time in the game.
7. Cleveland Browns Coaching - Why would you punt the ball in overtime to Patrick Peterson? He returned the punt 32 yards to the Browns 40 yd line, 1 completion later the Cardinals kicked the game winning FG ... head scratcher. Did they watch all of the tape on him?
6. Chicago Bears Offense – This offense is lifeless. Hanie going 10-23 for 111 yds while throwing 3 picks didn't help.
5. Buffalo Bills 3rd Down Offense – Against Miami the Bills offense went 0-11 on 3rd downs. In two games vs Miami this year, they were 0-23 on 3rd down. That has to be some kind of record doesn't it? A quick kick might not be a bad idea vs the Dolphins.
4. Oakland Raiders Defense - With the game on the line, and possibly their playoff hopes, the Raiders defense let the Lions drive 98 yards in 1:35 for the winning TD.
They allowed C. Johnson to beat them deep on the drive ... come on ... MegaTron ... anybody but MegaTron.
3. Tenn Titans Team – Controlled their own destiny with games at Indy, vs Jax, and at Houston in the final week. What do they do ... they get beat by an 0-13 team ... so much for the playoffs this year.
2. NY Giants - After a must win in Dallas and gaining control of the division, the Giants threw up a stinker. And it was a team stinker. Offensively, defensively, special teams, and coaching are to blame for this one. I was shocked at how bad they played at home against the Redskins ... total team effort ... or lack there of. Fortunately for them, they still control their own destiny.
1. Sam Hurd – The Bears WR was arrested for buying drugs from an undercover agent. I'm not going to convict him, the system will determine his guilt or not. But, why would a young man making nearly 2 million dollars a year risk everything on drugs? Talk is that he might even be associated with a drug ring. Guilty or not, Hurd gets the #1 outhouse spot for putting himself in this situation.