Penthouse to Outhouse - Week 16
This past weekend was all about playoff positioning, making the playoffs, staying alive for the playoffs, or just playing hard because you don't quit ... and records. Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees (NFL single season yards passing record) have attained "Elvis" status and get their own Penthouse floor (just like Elvis in Las Vegas), so they don't qualify for a suite. Here are my Penthouse Sweets and my Outhouse Stinkers for Week #16. Any other nominees?
(Suite 1A) Jerome Simpson - This Bengals WR turned the sports fan upside down with his flip over a defender while landing in the end zone for a TD. Sounds like something we've seen before ... not so fast ... the defender was standing up. I've never seen a player get as high as Simpson, flip, then land on his feet and stand up. Incredible athletic move!!! This gets Jerome the prime suite for week 16.
(Suite 2A) Matt Stafford and his Detroit Lions Team - The Detroit Lions are in the playoffs ... WoW ... haven't heard that cry since 1999. Matt Stafford was sensational, he went 29-36 (80.5%) for 373 yds, while throwing 3 TDs. He also broke several franchise records.The defense held the high scoring Chargers offense to 10 points, while picking off Rivers twice (one a pick six). Jason Hansen threw in a 50 yd FG to join the party. Congrats to Martin Mayhew, Jim Schwartz and the entire Lions team. Should be a tough out in the playoffs
(Suite 3A) Cam Newton - Just another ho-hum day for Cam. All he did was lead his team to a 48-16 blowout, complete 70.5% of his passes, throw 3 TDs, run 6x for 65 yds and a TD (49 yards). Oh ... I forgot to mention his 91 yard TD pass was a franchise record, and, he broke Peyton Manning's rookie record for yards passing. Rookie of the Year is in the bag!!
(Suite 4A) NY Giants Defense - After a bad performance against the Redskins, the Giants 'D' responded with a beauty. This unit has been much maligned lately, but Saturday they played like their season was on the line ... it was. They sacked Sanchez 4 times, recovered a fumble, picked off 2 passes, and recorded a safety while holding the Jets to 14 points. Big win by Big Blue.
(Suite 5A) David Akers - How Philly let him get away is beyond me. Akers kicked 4 FGs for the 49ers in their win over Seattle. He has now kicked 42 FGs this year, which is a new NFL record. Well done!!!
(Special "Salsa" Weekend Suite) Victor Cruz - The "Salsa Man" didn't get to dance many times, but he sure took advantage of his opportunities. Cruz caught only 3 passes, but they went for 164 yds (54.67 yd average) and a TD. His 99 yd TD catch and run turned the game around for the Giants. Salsa music for everyone.
(One Night Stay Suite) Jared Cook - Monster day for this Titans TE. Jared caught 8 passes for 169 yards and a TD in leading his team to a win over the Jaguars. TE's have become a major force in the passing game this season.
8. KC Chiefs/Oakland Raiders Penalties – 26 penalties for 180 yards combined. The Raiders need only 4 penalties this week to set an NFL record ... Enough already!
7. Broncos 1st Half Passing Attack - The Broncos had 13 net yards passing in the 1st half against the Bills ... I said the Bills ... who don't rush the passer very well. This is a passing league isn't it?
6. Cleveland Browns Lack of Awareness - The Browns blew 3 points (possibly 7) at the end of the 1st half by not being aware at all. Then, late in the 4th quarter, DT Phil Taylor jumped offsides on fourth down giving the Ravens a first down, sealing the game. The Browns lost by 6 points ... a little more awareness might get them a win and out of the outhouse.
5. KC Chiefs FG Unit - With a 49 yd game winning FG at hand, and a chance to stay in the playoff race, they allowed the Raiders to block the kick. The Raiders won in OT eliminating KC from playoff contention.
4. Houston Texans Defense - Houston could have stayed alive for a possible bye in the playoffs, but they allowed the 1-13 Indy Colts offense to march down the field (12 plays - 78 yds) and score the game winning TD in 1:37. Think they'll be happy to see Wade Phillips get back?
3. Tim Tebow - Yes ... even Tim Tebow can spend a week in the outhouse. No Tebow magic this week. He threw 4 picks (2 were pick 6's) while getting blown out by the Buffalo Bills 40-14.
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - This team gets blown out every week and this was no exception. They have become the worst team in the NFL because too many people in the building have quit.
1. Rex Ryan and his NY Jets - All the talk with absolutely no walk. They now have to count on the Bengals, Titans, and Raiders or Broncos to lose ... who would have thought that before the season started. There still is a little fact involved ... they have to walk the walk ... and beat Miami. Talk about longshot.