Long List of Things to Think About for NYG v. SF
1) Giants look like the most complete team to me. Tuck and Umenyiora are finally healthy, as is Michael Boley who may be the key player on that defense because he makes all the calls. Giants looked lost without him. He even showed flashes of a pass rush last week. Antrel Rolle doesn't like playing slot corner in the nickel, but they are tough to beat in their nickel.
2) The 49ers are a very good defense, but they do give up big plays on intermediate catches and runs like last week. The Giants may have two of the best catch and run threats in the NFL with Nicks and Cruz.
3) Will the rain slow down the speed rushers on the 49ers? David Diehl will need help against Aldon Smith and Justin Smith, the soggy field may play to his favor.
4) How long will the Giants try to stay with their run. The Saints were a very balanced offense this year, but when they just started throwing late, they were better. The 49ers run defense is probably the best in the NFL.
5) Despite a poor performance last week, the 49ers LBers can cover about as well as any inside LBers I have seen this year.
6) The 49ers inside stunts with their defensive line are hard to handle. I still can't believe the Bengals let Justin Smith go. He is much better inside than out. Ahmad Brooks is still a very fast pass rusher and could be the X factor in this one.
7) Jake Ballard needs to play like he did before the injury. He is the only Giants TE athletic enough to get open and big enough to block. Pascoe lacks athleticism, and Beckum is just a receiver.
8) Can Alex Smith possibly do that again? The Saints made it easy for him by playing blitz coverage and creating all those 1-1 coverages. Giants will rush with 4 and cover with 7. Much smaller holes for throwing.
9) 49ers spent a lot of high picks on this OL, this may be the game they become famous.