• Recent Article Comments Widget

    iwatt

    Enemy Number One

    Too be accurate, it's the fact that it was so visible and the sanction seems low is the reason why... Go to last post

    iwatt 07-29-2014 09:29 AM
    KabaModernFan

    Enemy Number One

    The reason this incident is really getting any traction at all is because of the video footage.... Go to last post

    KabaModernFan 07-29-2014 02:40 AM
    Patrick Sullivan

    Enemy Number One

    So true. Go to last post

    Patrick Sullivan 07-28-2014 07:45 PM
    Curtis

    Enemy Number One

    No. And Ray did plea 'not guilty' in his pre-trial intervention. I'll say there is probably an in... Go to last post

    Curtis 07-28-2014 05:48 PM
    iwatt

    Enemy Number One

    There is an echo chamber effect going on with Ray Rice now. Not sure if the NFL can backtrack and... Go to last post

    iwatt 07-28-2014 09:35 AM
    SpartaChris

    Enemy Number One

    I don't think they're getting a pass. I was commenting more on the general outrage expressed when... Go to last post

    SpartaChris 07-28-2014 08:55 AM
    Patrick Sullivan

    Enemy Number One

    Has anyone seen the video of Rice actually punching his fiance? Go to last post

    Patrick Sullivan 07-28-2014 08:01 AM
    hobbes27

    Enemy Number One

    Do you honestly think Ray Rice and the NFL is getting a pass here? I haven't heard one person... Go to last post

    hobbes27 07-28-2014 12:28 AM
    SpartaChris

    Enemy Number One

    The larger point that I didn't articulate well enough is that I feel like acts of violence should... Go to last post

    SpartaChris 07-27-2014 08:48 PM
  • Contributors


    Cris Collinsworth

    Former Pro Bowl wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals and Emmy-winning analyst from Sunday Night Football and Inside the NFL.
    Dave Lapham
    Has called game for the Bengals radio network for 25 years. Analyst for Big 12 games on Fox Sports Net. Played 10 years in the NFL for the Cincinnati Bengals.
    Turk Schonert
    NFL quarterback for 10 years with the Bengals and Falcons. Has served as quarterback coach for the Buccaneers, Bills, Panthers, Giants and Saints and Offensive Coordinator for the Bills.
    Phil McConkey
    Played 6 years in the NFL as a WR, punt returner and kick returner for the Giants, Packers, Cardinals and Chargers. Played college football at the Naval Academy and served in the U.S. Navy before joining the NFL. Best remembered for his oustanding game in Super Bowl XXI.
    Josina Anderson
    Josina "JoJo" Anderson is contributing reporter on Showtime's Inside the NFL and is a weekend co-anchor/reporter/producer for FOX 31 Sports in Denver, Colorado. Josina produces the nightly sportscasts and covers the Denver Broncos, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, and the Colorado Rockies.
    Jerry Jones
    NFL Draft Expert, has published the acclaimed Drugstore List since 1978.
    Russell S Baxter
    Researcher, writer and editor covering the NFL for over 30 years.
    Andy Freeland
    Statistician and researcher for NBC's Sunday Night Football.
  • Did Roger Goodell, Jerry Jones, or Jason Garrett keep the Cowboys from pursuing Tim Tebow?

    Now that the Tebow sweepstakes have passed us by, I ask myself ... why didn't the Cowboys go after Tim Tebow? It made more sense to me than the Jaguars, Packers, 49ers, and Dolphins, yet, not a peep from the Boys. It has been documented by Cowboy players that leadership on the offensive side of the ball is lacking on the field, and in the locker room. Tim Tebow gives them leadership in both areas. The Cowboys seem to struggle in the Red Zone every year. Romo has made too many mistakes while Jason Garrett has relied on him too much. Tebow would give the Cowboys a diverse RZ package. Teams would have to spend practice time preparing for both ... that would help Romo IMO. So, with leadership and RZ issues keeping the Cowboys out of championship contention, why wouldn't they want Tim Tebow wearing the "Star". Did Roger Goodell's decision to take away $10 million off of their cap kill their chances of pursuing Tim ? Is Tim Tebow's cult like "star" following too big for Jerry Jones to share the limelight with? Is Jason Garrett and his staff so comfortable with their offense that they don't want to have to be creative or make any changes to suit Tebow's style?
    I see Tebow as a great fit in Dallas ... why did't the Cowboys?

    Comments 35 Comments
    1. wxwax's Avatar
      It's hard to be a leader when you're a bit-player, isn't it? And Tebow has been known to encourage efforts to make him the starter, so he'd be a disruptive factor (as NY will find out) and not necessarily a positive influence.

      Is Garrett a fan of the wildcat? He ran it 17 times in 2009, with Tashard Choice as the RB, from what I read. So he's not opposed to it.
    1. NickMykita's Avatar
      This has Jerry Jones written all over it. He's not ready to admit that the Tony Romo experiment isn't working out. I'm sure he can't believe that Tebow has just has many playoff wins as Romo. His ego is too inflated to think clearly about personnel decisions like this.

      That being said, I don't think Tebow would have helped the Cowboys at all. At least when Romo is the starter, the Cowboys will always be in the hunt for the playoffs before they choke in Week 17. With Tebow, they'd be eliminated by Week 13.
    1. FootballFan's Avatar
      Tebow isn't a pro-set offense QB. If I had to wager an opinion, jerry is never one to turn down a publicity/image move to put the Cowboys in the spotlight. jason garrett, in that case, would have to talk him out of it, and I think even jerry could see that Tebow isn't a pro-set QB.

      Now the Jets on the other hand, have an offense that isn't carried quite so much by the QB, and play in the same city as the reigning super bowl champions, and Goodell isn't going to be against anything that puts the NFL in the headlines in March that doesn't involve the unmentionable things, so he's not going to be against Tebow going to New York. They needed some press.

      And as always, the fan's favorite player is the back up QB.
    1. iwatt's Avatar
      Why bring in Tebow to cause disruption when Sean Payton will bring Drew Brees in 2013?
    1. Turk Schonert's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
      Why bring in Tebow to cause disruption when Sean Payton will bring Drew Brees in 2013?
      What makes you think Payton will be the HC of the Cowboys in 2013?
    1. iwatt's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Turk Schonert View Post
      What makes you think Payton will be the HC of the Cowboys in 2013?
      My cynical mind.
    1. iwatt's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Turk Schonert View Post
      What makes you think Payton will be the HC of the Cowboys in 2013?
      My cynical mind.
    1. ScottDCP's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
      My cynical mind.
      Not too great a stretch as thought exercises go:

      New Orleans has either a very successful season without Payton, suggesting he is expendable, or a very unsuccessful season without him, proving he needs to be excised form the organization for putting them in this position. Either way, odds are fifty fifty he is NOT coaching New Orleans. Therefore, a third of the requirements are met.

      Garrett? Not quite right in the game management and personnel usage departments. A first round playoff loss or worse, and He, too, is no worse than fifty fifty odds looking for work next year.

      Payton looking for work, Jerry looking for a new puppet. Sounds like a match made at the bank.

      Brees won't skip games, but if he sings the tender, he will likely not be in a hurry to sign any kind of further deal with New Orleans.

      So, possible.
    1. darvon's Avatar
      So what stops NOLA from tagging again?
    1. ScottDCP's Avatar
      An excellent uestion, and I haven't found my way around that yet. New coach wants to bring in his own QB? Nah.
    1. hobbes27's Avatar
      Not to sound like a stat nerd, but Tony Romo, despite all his flaws, had the fourth highest QBR in 2011 (70.1). That isn't exactly the sign of a QB that needs to be replaced or a QB that needs to have changes made. Tim Tebow on the other hand was 31st (27.2). So clearly you aren't bringing in Tebow for his QB abilities.

      So why not run the wildcat with Tim Tebow? Probably because the Wildcat for the most part is a gimmicky play that doesn't work as often as people think, unless you really have the right personnel. Even though Garrett might have run it in the past, its possible that he and Jerry don't believe they have the right people to make it work.
    1. Turk Schonert's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
      Not to sound like a stat nerd, but Tony Romo, despite all his flaws, had the fourth highest QBR in 2011 (70.1). That isn't exactly the sign of a QB that needs to be replaced or a QB that needs to have changes made. Tim Tebow on the other hand was 31st (27.2). So clearly you aren't bringing in Tebow for his QB abilities.

      So why not run the wildcat with Tim Tebow? Probably because the Wildcat for the most part is a gimmicky play that doesn't work as often as people think, unless you really have the right personnel. Even though Garrett might have run it in the past, its possible that he and Jerry don't believe they have the right people to make it work.
      Tebow wouldn't be there to take Romo's place. He would be there to add something to their Red Zone package and to their locker room. Tebow was a weapon in the Red Zone for Denver, why not Dallas?
    1. Gandalf2300's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Turk Schonert View Post
      Tebow wouldn't be there to take Romo's place. He would be there to add something to their Red Zone package and to their locker room. Tebow was a weapon in the Red Zone for Denver, why not Dallas?
      I agree with Turk - Tebow would have been a nice addition in Dallas to be a Wildcat RB/QB (strictly based on playing ability-not considering the hype machine and potential locker room conflicts). We have seen how unsuccessful the Cowboys have been in the Red Zone. Forcing a defense to use their already limited reps to prepare for the Wildcat in addition to the 'traditional' offense probably helps the effectiveness of both offensive packages. Tebow's highest value in the NFL is probably as a Wildcat RB/QB for @ 10 plays a game. He could even be a RB or 'decoy' in the regular offense.

      The Cowboys would have been a better fit for Tebow than the Jets. I can envision quite a circus in New York around Tebow, especially if Sanchez struggles early in the season. How will the Jets locker room react to Tebow, who may already be a legend in his own mind? A press conference for a backup QB? I know he did not 'create' all of this hype but he certainly does not discourage it. Maybe that is why the Cowboys did not pursue him.
    1. wxwax's Avatar
      Still not getting how Tebow is a positive in the locker room.
    1. mikesteelnation1's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
      So what stops NOLA from tagging again?
      Nothing does. Matter of fact they can tag him 4 straight years and spend less on him (brees), than what he's asking at the current numbers. It's why there isn't a long term deal yet. Brees may not understand the saints have all the leverage here. A qb who's front office believes him to be a top 5 qb will never, ever get to free agency.

      As to the op, I think the correct decision was made. Perhaps tebow would make the offense more dynamic in the red zone. We will never know. Even if he did, the toll that was extracted to do so wouldn't be worth the trip across that bridge.

      I'm sure we can all agree Romo, however flawed, is the far better pure qb. Seemingly tebow is the better leader. How does that help the team?? So now your back up qb is your leader, while your starter is the better player?? Huh? What? That's an unmitigated disaster waiting to blow up in their faces. That's trading for a built in qb controversy. Bad juju there. Plus, after playing for 13 years, I could never see myself taking a back up qb serious as a leader, unless I'm pining for him to be the starter!

      Everytime Romo had a kind of off game or series you would have fans screaming for tebow. They may usually do everything bigger in Texas, but this time jerrah decided to let the jets and nyc have the biggest circus!!!
    1. mikesteelnation1's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Turk Schonert View Post
      Tebow wouldn't be there to take Romo's place. He would be there to add something to their Red Zone package and to their locker room. Tebow was a weapon in the Red Zone for Denver, why not Dallas?
      Because his purpose would not be limited to being a red zone threat, in the majority of fans eyes. Maybe with FP fans this premise makes sense, but the population as a whole? No way!

      The first time Romo has a rough game, remembrances of last years tebowmania will run rampant. We will all remember that the guy who isn't so great a qb, and had a defense that allowed 40+ pts 5 times won that many games. Romo having a rough game is a foregone conclusion. It's going to happen. It does every year. Why start that drum beat for your fans, when the guy you have is better? Especially when you have a huge fan base, like Dallas? One of the least hardcore fan bases in football. It's so quiet in that stadium. That was the most quiet indoor stadium I've ever watched a game in. 100k fans and I can hear myself think? argue that point if you'd like, but the fans are there to be there, not because they're hardcore. An outdoor game at Heinz with 65k fans is twice as loud.
    1. hobbes27's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Turk Schonert View Post
      Tebow wouldn't be there to take Romo's place. He would be there to add something to their Red Zone package and to their locker room. Tebow was a weapon in the Red Zone for Denver, why not Dallas?
      That's what you say. But the reality is, if you bring in Tebow, you also bring controversy. The minute Sanchez has a bad game with the Jets, people will be demanding Tebow. The minute Tony Romo has a bad game, people will be demanding Tebow. Some people have their doubts about Tony Romo, so Tebow doesn't work in Dallas. If we are talking about bringing him in to say Green Bay, New Orleans, or New England, there isn't gonna be a controversy to bring in Tebow. But Romo isn't seen as a solid QB, despite putting up top 10 numbers every year.
    1. Turk Schonert's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
      That's what you say. But the reality is, if you bring in Tebow, you also bring controversy. The minute Sanchez has a bad game with the Jets, people will be demanding Tebow. The minute Tony Romo has a bad game, people will be demanding Tebow. Some people have their doubts about Tony Romo, so Tebow doesn't work in Dallas. If we are talking about bringing him in to say Green Bay, New Orleans, or New England, there isn't gonna be a controversy to bring in Tebow. But Romo isn't seen as a solid QB, despite putting up top 10 numbers every year.
      You don't think the fans will call for Kyle Orton if Romo plays bad?
    1. wxwax's Avatar
      What happens if Brees doesn't sign?
    1. hobbes27's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Turk Schonert View Post
      You don't think the fans will call for Kyle Orton if Romo plays bad?
      Over a stretch, sure. But not one game. Kyle Orton doesn't have anywhere near the fanatics that Tim Tebow does.