• Commentary: Should You Care What Your Team's Draft Pick Did Last Weekend?

    No.


    Well, wait. Is he breaking the law?


    Oh, he's not? That you know of? Well, then, still no. Of course you shouldn't.

    I don't really know what Jack Ham would have done over Memorial Day weekend. Odds are, though, that in his eleven years with the Pittsburgh Steelers, when he was not eating lean, protein-rich foods and lifting weights, the only other thing he did was study his playbook. Or go over film. Probably at the same time. He definitely wouldn't have stopped to take a picture with someone who looks like that/calling herself @steakNstiffarms. Jack Ham was only interested in eating steak, avoiding stiffarms, and studying.

    Of course, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and many-other-places-I'm-sure are 'blue collar towns,' which apparently is very important for pro athletes to remember. A good reminder from the guy who gave us this photo shoot in Men's Health.



    Is this intended as a cautionary tale, Brady? Again, I'm not really sure how any of this applies to the lives of Johnny Manziel and Ryan Shazier and untold others, but I guess it means that we people from blue collar towns will all totally have their backs if the NFLPA ever wants to go on strike, right?

    Anyway, talk is cheap. It's easy to say that championships are won during three days in May, especially when you do it from a couch where everyone expects you to be.

    Now, I've got to do some work, though.


    Oh, sorry. I meant...

    /puts on BEATS
    /...and you can tell everybody... and you can tell EVERYBODY...

    Comments 25 Comments
    1. wxwax's Avatar
      If Manziel farts in an elevator it'll be news. If the elevator is in Las Vegas, it will lead Sportscenter. That's his lot for the time being.
    1. mkocs6's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
      If Manziel farts in an elevator it'll be news. If the elevator is in Las Vegas, it will lead Sportscenter. That's his lot for the time being.
      Of course and Manziel is catching most of this. I included the Ryan Shazier tweet, though, too, because individual people react like this on social media all the time.

      I understand that it's going to happen. That doesn't mean I can't call it stupid.
    1. wxwax's Avatar
      ESPN has chosen Manziel to be their new Tebow. They noticed that any mention of Tebow spiked their ratings. That's why they ran Tebow into the ground. Manziel's only hope is that someone with a higher Q Score shows up sometime soon.
    1. mkocs6's Avatar
      He's the anti-Tebow, like... uh, Christ versus anti-Christ. Manziel just needs to be good. He and the media-celebrity industrial complex will grind out a stasis if he's got a future in the league. Until we figure out what he is, though, he's going to get this kind of attention.

      Real talk, though, too many people treat athletes like they're sports-playing robots/automatons, both on and off the field/court/diamond/whatever. I'm talking about something bigger than just Manziel.
    1. Patrick Sullivan's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
      Of course and Manziel is catching most of this. I included the Ryan Shazier tweet, though, too, because individual people react like this on social media all the time.

      I understand that it's going to happen. That doesn't mean I can't call it stupid.
      And you would be right to call it stupid, every single time.
    1. hobbes27's Avatar
      Well fair or unfair, Manziel did bring some of the media attention upon himself too with his flamboyant nature and his offseason after winning the Heisman.

      Anybody who is upset that he went to Vegas for Memorial Day is an idiot. Michael Jordan would go to Vegas or wherever the day before a game and that didn't seem to affect him.

      Oh yeah, despite partying it up during that offseason and his flashy offseason, he had a great sophomore year.
    1. Bengals1181's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
      Well fair or unfair, Manziel did bring some of the media attention upon himself too with his flamboyant nature and his offseason after winning the Heisman.

      Anybody who is upset that he went to Vegas for Memorial Day is an idiot. Michael Jordan would go to Vegas or wherever the day before a game and that didn't seem to affect him.

      Oh yeah, despite partying it up during that offseason and his flashy offseason, he had a great sophomore year.

      exactly. Even if the media attention is unwarranted, Manziel has brought much of this on himself.

      Taunting Rice players after his suspension to the point where his coached benched him (while also making a mockery of the suspension itself)...using the money hand-gesture while walking across the stage at the NFL Draft, etc... He's basically acted like someone who broke the rules, knows it, and boasted about it.

      He's not exactly trying to change his image, and in fact, seems to be embracing the "I'm a tool" image, even if it may not be who he really is. He's done himself no favors.
    1. ScottDCP's Avatar
      I think I said this in another thread: Nothing is happening in the NFL.
    1. mkocs6's Avatar
      Oblique reference to Brady Quinn aside, I'm really more talking about fans themselves than media.
    1. Patrick Sullivan's Avatar
      When this photo showed up back in 2009, many Lions fans were losing their minds:



      You know, because, god forbid, a young guy with a whole big pile of new money and nothing else to do actually spend a few bucks and little time chasing tail.

      Now if this is happening during a holdout while training camp is underway, I can see a legitimate gripe. But until Manziel breaks a law or misses actual scheduled team activities, people need to slow that roll.
    1. Rich Gapinski's Avatar
      Maybe it is good no one has been around this week. Nothing but bad/dumb stories around. The only good story of the week is Jim Kelly finishing chemo.
    1. Trumpetbdw's Avatar
      It's pretty amazing how far ahead of his time Vince McMahon has been. He realized long ago the value of entertainment first and athletic-endeavor second. Remember when newscasts were about the news, and sportscasts were about sports? Now, the focus is entertainment first. Why? Because good journalism doesn't garner ratings, and no ratings equals no money.

      Of course we all already know this, but I feel like Vinnie Mac deserves a shout out just because of how transcendent his decision to bring in the "attitude era" of the WWF/E truly was. Every media outlet is currently capitalizing on the same ideal as when McMahon pulled his infamous "screw job" on Bret Hart nearly 17 years ago. That's not to say that the then WWF and other wrestling outlets weren't contriving storylines prior to the Hart incident, as clearly they were. But prior to that incident in Montreal, there was always a perceived line that wouldn't be crossed, which allowed the wrestling audience to maintain some sort of plausible innocence. But McMahon made it very real for his audience, adding an anything-is-possible dynamic, and the ratings for wrestling almost instantaneously went through the roof.

      Of course a young professional athlete enjoying a vacation during his off-season is a non-issue. But tabloid shows--of which Sportscenter has become one-- makes money off of this sort of thing all the time. People love living vicariously through others, and in order to keep up with society, news outlets decided long ago that they are forced to create the news as opposed to simply reporting on the news.

      Then again, by giving some credit to Vince McMahon, perhaps I'm doing a disservice to another visionary that was ahead of his time...




      But seriously, for whatever reason, sports have become way too important to people. Football has become way too popular, there are way too many people who believe that their own identity is defined by their fandom of a specific team, and I've officially had to use the phrase "way too" way too often. I'd venture to guess that many of us know people who have done structural damage to their own property (or other people) due to the result of a football game. It's these people, many of whom are not above showing up to work more than just a little hungover, who tweet such idiotic nonsense as what that moron tweeted above to Ryan Shazier. {Because I'm certain that yodeler has never once celebrated a promotion, and spends every last second of his vacation time finding ways to increase his own productivity in the work place.}

      Or, maybe he's living in his mother's basement and has nothing better to do. Putz...

      Sheesh, can you imagine the reaction had the Max McGee pre-Super Bowl I bender happened during the twitter era? And the twitterverse would have literally exploded during Joe Namath's prime, I guarantee it.
    1. Trumpetbdw's Avatar
      There have been countless debates over the years regarding who the greatest QB of all-time is. But how often have we debated who the most famous QB of all time is? Not much, if at all. That's because Joe Namath would win that debate in a landslide.

      Perhaps instead of setting his sights on Manning, Montana, or Unitas, Manziel is setting his sights on Namath? If so, good for him. Sports are supposed to be fun, and there was no one more fun than Namath. And if it leads to a sideline interview in 2050 where Manziel is clearly "strug-a-ling", and looking for a little action, even better. If Manziel can help restore some fun to the No Fun League, then I'm all for it. Even if it has to happen in Cleveland.
    1. Bengals1181's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
      There have been countless debates over the years regarding who the greatest QB of all-time is. But how often have we debated who the most famous QB of all time is? Not much, if at all. That's because Joe Namath would win that debate in a landslide.

      Perhaps instead of setting his sights on Manning, Montana, or Unitas, Manziel is setting his sights on Namath? If so, good for him. Sports are supposed to be fun, and there was no one more fun than Namath. And if it leads to a sideline interview in 2050 where Manziel is clearly "strug-a-ling", and looking for a little action, even better. If Manziel can help restore some fun to the No Fun League, then I'm all for it. Even if it has to happen in Cleveland.

      you think Namath is the most famous of all time? I think he's up there, but I think he'd be behind Manning, Brady and Montana.

      Of course, part of that has to do with more easily accessible media today.
    1. Trumpetbdw's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

      you think Namath is the most famous of all time? I think he's up there, but I think he'd be behind Manning, Brady and Montana.

      Of course, part of that has to do with more easily accessible media today.
      And I'm sure that Manning or Brady would win a vote for that title among current football fans. But no football player has ever reached the transcendent level of fame that Namath reached, thanks mostly to the fact that his career happened entirely in NYC. Most kids have heard of him, and even our parents and grandparents who are completely out of touch with football know exactly who Namath is. I don't think the same can be said for the other QBs. My mom knows Namath down to his middle name. I'm not certain she has any idea who Peyton Manning is.

      Without looking it up, do you know Peyton Manning's middle name? Congrats if you do, but most certainly do not.
    1. Bengals1181's Avatar
      I've heard it before, but don't remember it.

      I've also never heard Namath's though either.
    1. Trumpetbdw's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
      I've heard it before, but don't remember it.

      I've also never heard Namath's though either.
      You've never heard Joe "Willie" Namath?

      Manning's is very similar- Williams.
    1. hobbes27's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
      It's pretty amazing how far ahead of his time Vince McMahon has been. He realized long ago the value of entertainment first and athletic-endeavor second. Remember when newscasts were about the news, and sportscasts were about sports? Now, the focus is entertainment first. Why? Because good journalism doesn't garner ratings, and no ratings equals no money.

      Of course a young professional athlete enjoying a vacation during his off-season is a non-issue. But tabloid shows--of which Sportscenter has become one-- makes money off of this sort of thing all the time. People love living vicariously through others, and in order to keep up with society, news outlets decided long ago that they are forced to create the news as opposed to simply reporting on the news.

      Then again, by giving some credit to Vince McMahon, perhaps I'm doing a disservice to another visionary that was ahead of his time...

      But seriously, for whatever reason, sports have become way too important to people. Football has become way too popular, there are way too many people who believe that their own identity is defined by their fandom of a specific team, and I've officially had to use the phrase "way too" way too often. I'd venture to guess that many of us know people who have done structural damage to their own property (or other people) due to the result of a football game. It's these people, many of whom are not above showing up to work more than just a little hungover, who tweet such idiotic nonsense as what that moron tweeted above to Ryan Shazier. {Because I'm certain that yodeler has never once celebrated a promotion, and spends every last second of his vacation time finding ways to increase his own productivity in the work place.}

      Or, maybe he's living in his mother's basement and has nothing better to do. Putz...
      Vince McMahon took his cue from people like Jerry Buss who recognized that sports was both entertainment and athletics. The focus is entertainment first, because we have a lot more viewing options. Lots of options are good, but the downside of lots of choices is that in order to grab our attention, the news and sports have to be interesting. We have many more networks with programming to fill and if the programming isn't entertaining, people are going to switch the channel. News outlets focus on what is titillating. Not what is news worthy. But yes, Ron Burgundy was a genius who inspired everyone else.
    1. mkocs6's Avatar
      In the Who's-More-Famous debate, you've also got to grade for difficulty here. Joe Namath was a household name in the United States in the '60s while he was still the starting quarterback of Alabama. He was already famous when when he guaranteed a win in Super Bowl III.

      Manning and Brady became popular in an era of 24-hour sports coverage. Montana was in-between; there was an ESPN, but there wasn't an all-powerful hegemon (still talking about ESPN) and all sorts of other sports networks and the internet.

      One thing Namath and Montana (and Manziel) have on Brady and Manning, regardless of their abilities on the field, is much, much better nicknames. Broadway Joe and Johnny Football are all-time good; Joe Cool is solid. Brady and Manning might as well not even have nicknames.
    1. Rich Gapinski's Avatar
      Brady will always be "Butt-Chin Uggs" and Manning is "Cut That Meat" in my book.

      *Note: I have never actually used these nicknames in my life when talking/writing about Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Though, I like the evolution of Butt-Chin Uggs to BuhChug if you say Brady's quickly. Still, that is dangerously close to being turned into "ButtChug." I am not sure exactly what a ButtChug is, but I imagine it is something between what an obvious literal translation could be and the sensation of drinking flat soda when you don't think it is going to be flat. Also, I rather it as a descriptor. For instance, "Under Brady and Darth Hoodie, the Patriots have ButtChugged at some point in the post-season when they have made it during the last ten playoffs."