• Zone Blitz: A Day For The Ages Or Your Week 9 Open Thread



    ScottDCP evidently enjoyed his initial foray into the Blitz, as he has agreed to join me again this week. We’ll talk his Bills, NFC Supremacy, the implosion in Chicago, and hit on some storylines for week 9. But first, we head to Pittsburgh and Ben Roethlisberger’s day for the ages…


    An Historic Performance For Big Ben
    BW: I have to start this week in Pittsburgh, where Ben Roethlisberger played about as well as anyone ever has on Sunday. To put his day into perspective, considering the following…

    -First QB with 2 career 500+ yard passing games
    -522 yards passing is tied for 4th all-time
    -6 TD passes is one off single-game record
    -Completed 81.63% of his passes, the only player with 40 or more completions to ever complete 80+% of his passes
    -Only player with 80%/500/6/0 in NFL history (Brees is only other player with 80%/400/5)
    -Joins HOFer Y.A. Tittle as one of two players with at least 500 yds, 6 TDs, and no INTs in a game (Tittle had 505/7/0 in 1962)

    Add in the fact that the Colts entered the day ranked 2nd in Pass Defense DVOA, 1st in completion%, tied for 3rd in fewest TDs allowed, 9th in YPA allowed, 4th in yards per game, 4th in Passer Rating, and 2nd in sack %, and Ben’s day looks even more remarkable. Yes, the Colts lost Vontae Davis early to a (minor) knee injury, but no one has ever put up those numbers in a game before.

    Whether or not this is the single greatest performance of all-time is impossible to define, and really pointless to argue, but it is in the conversation, and that’s all that really matters. I found myself spending some time on PFR trying to quantify how this compared with other great performances, but also checked in with footballperspective.com, where Chase Stuart wrote an article on the greatest QB performances ever. He ranked Ben’s performance 7th, behind performances by George Blanda, Randall Cunningham, Don Meredith, Mark Rypien, Y.A. Tittle, and Joe Namath.

    He brings up some interesting points, but I must say I disagree with his assertion that Namath’s performance is #1, despite the greatness of the 1972 Colts defense, which is what helped vault him to the top of the list. Yes, the YPA was around 20, but throwing for 496 yards despite completing only 15 passes, and at just over 50% feels a little fluky. Plus, Namath threw a pick.

    I can also poke holes in some of the other performances, but the one that truly stands out is Tittle's performance in 1962 as a member of the Giants vs. the Redskins. Tittle completed just under 70% of his passes, but avg nearly 13 yards per attempt on his way to 505/7/0. Considering era, his performance that day strikes me as having the best argument for greatest single-game performance by a QB of all-time. But "greatest" really isn't quantifiable in this instance, and Ben put himself smack in the middle of that conversation based on his performance. Really, that’s all that needs to be said. If you've played well enough to be put in a conversation such as that one, then what more can you ask?

    SL: I think Roethlisberger was fantastic. His receivers and line also played well. The Colts have one guy who can cover consistently and if he isn’t full speed, the lack of a consistent pass rush is going to get the Colts in trouble down the line. Not to take anything away from the game but Roethlisberger had a lot to take advantage of; which he did at a ridiculous pace. Bravo to him.

    BW: As for whether or not the Steelers offense, which is finally starting to make good on its potential, can finally perform as an elite unit on a consistent basis remains to be seen. The offensive line looks the best it’s looked in years, thanks to Mike Munchak, and not only are they opening lanes in the running game for Le’veon Bell, they’re keeping Ben clean. Antonio Brown is the best WR in the NFL right now. His consistency is historic. I mentioned last week that Martavus Bryant opens things up for the entire offense, since he brings a different size/speed dynamic that they’ve lacked since Plaxico Burress left following Ben’s rookie season. His presence seemed to open the middle of the field for Heath Miller, and opened things up for Markus Wheaton to put together the most productive performance of his career. The Steelers have the weapons to remain a viable threat offensively no matter the defense, and it seems that maybe the light has finally clicked with the Ben/Todd Haley tandem. Haley is a good play designer, but not always the best game-caller. They work best when Ben is working in the no-huddle, and calling the plays based on the flow of the game. As long as we see more of that, there’s no reason that they can’t continue to perform as a top unit.

    But we’ve seen this act before. The potential is clearly there, but until we see the Steeler perform like this for an extended period of time, the inconsistency that’s plagued them for the past few seasons is hard to overlook. Let’s see how they perform against Baltimore, and perhaps more importantly Tennessee (since those are the types of games they lose at an alarming rate), and I’ll get back to you.

    SL: I think Haley is carrying around a copy of someone else's offense. He can open the spreadsheet seems to be about it. I think he is terrible at his job, and covers it by making himself unapproachable. This offense, when going well, reminds me of the Kelly Bills, where the qb called the plays. Ideal situation by my reckoning, especially with someone who feels the game as well as Roethlisberger.


    Has Mark Trestman already lost control in Chicago?
    BW: Somewhat lost in all the Chip Kelly hubbub from last year was that Mark Trestman did a pretty remarkable job himself in year 1 with the Bears offense. Despite having to spend a significant portion of the year with Josh McCown under center, the Bears had the 2nd best scoring offense in the league (3 points ahead of Philly). McCown has since gone on to Tampa, and has made last year’s performance look like even more of an aberration. Meanwhile, Jay Cutler stuck around, and it was expected that the Bears offense would at least match last season’s production, and possibly even take a step forward.

    However, the Bears have fallen on extremely hard times, losing 4 of their last 5, including 3 games in which they were dominated. After finishing last season 2nd in points, they currently rank 20th, and the dissention in the locker room is growing louder. Last week’s report of Brandon Marshall calling out his teammates was confirmed by Marshall himself, and this week, Marshall removed himself from the game. Mark Trestman comes off as more of a cerebral coach than a “leader”, but with Marshall’s potentially volatile personality, and Jay Cutler’s seeming care-free attitude, as great an offensive mind as Trestman is, I’m just not sure he’s the proper coach to handle that locker room. When things are going well, especially offensively, I’m sure he’s the perfect coach to keep everyone happy. But the Bears followed laying an egg against Miami with an even bigger egg against the Pats. Now that some adversity is kicking in, it seems that things are only going to go from bad to worse in the Windy City.

    SL: Chicago is a different thing than most in pro sports. Treatment reminds me of the baseball coach, Madden. Works well on a veteran team with solid leadership and internal accountability. Most athletes are young and dumb, and need to be lead around by the nose. This team seems to lack the personalities to make it happen. Also, they really threw one away against Buffalo, looking like the early injuries kicked their puppy and stole their lunch money. They just collapsed and appear to have not recovered. Also, what Rich said about Trestman starting to change the way he calls games, going to Justinian levels of conservativism.


    Changing of the guard in the NFC
    BW: This weekend’s best game took place in Arizona between the Cardinals and Eagles. Following their big come-from-behind victory, and coupled with the Cowboys loss to the Redskins on Monday night, the Cardinals stand alone atop the NFC heap at 6-1. With the Seahawks showing some serious chinks in their armor, the 49ers struggling with injuries on defense, and the Packers looking a little too reliant on the performance of Aaron Rodgers (going immediately into the tank following his hamstring issue on SNF), the NFC appears to be in the midst of a power shift.

    Despite last night’s loss, the Cowboys have put together the most impressive stretch of games, and their offensive line is likely the single most dominant unit in football. Their defense is not as good as their numbers would indicate, as they couldn’t get off the field last night against Washington, but it would really be a shame if Tony Romo isn’t ok, because this team deserves to play things out at full strength.

    The Eagles offense hasn’t seemed to get quite on track, and yet they’re the highest scoring team in the NFC. The defense has been better than expected, and has been incredibly opportunistic. As long as the defense remains better than mediocre, the Eagles will remain in the thick of things.

    The Lions struggled through most of their game against Atlanta on Sunday morning, but good teams find ways to win even when not at their best. That game was ugly for so many reasons. Is it even possibly to quantify how bad an announcer Thom Brenneman is?(among other things, he openly questioned whether the Falcons, who were up 2 late, should consider attempting a 58 yard FG.) And either get rid of that stupid H, or stop calling yourself “Tom”. Even the bad announcing a legendary “battle of wits” between Mike Smith and Jim Caldwell, but in spite of Caldwell’s best efforts, the Lions were able to pull out a victory. After the bye, they should get Reggie Bush and Calvin Johnson back, and considering they’re still in 1st, even without a healthy Johnson for over a month, the Lions have to be considered the favorites in the NFC North at this point. Oh, and as for morning football? Yes, please.

    All of those teams are strong contenders, but none compare with the Cardinals right now. With Carson Palmer under center, the offense has been consistently effective. They have explosive playmakers on offense, defense, and in the return game, and their only loss was @Denver in a game where Logan Thomas had to log significant minutes under center. Bruce Arians is a magician. The Cards travel to Dallas this weekend for the back end of their NFC showdown double-header. If the Cardinals emerge with a victory (and shut down DeMarco Murray in the process), it will be tough to ignore them as the favorites to win the NFC.

    SL: In the NFC I wish I had included Seattle Center Max Unger in my list of below the line guys whose injuries have significantly affected the team's season. His return will probably mirror an prick in team performance.
    Arizona isn’t a surprise to everybody. Ahem. That said, I am most surprised by Detroit. A professional kicker from the beginning of the year and they are quite likely undefeated. The injuries are starting to take a toll, though, and they will need some luck to maintain their Conference position. Green Bay has been spiraling for three years on defense. Philly isn't a surprise. Dallas is. I think they are ripe for a letdown, and we will finally see Jerry stick a knife in Garrett's back and taking over during a game if they lose two in a row.


    Party Like It’s 1999?
    BW: Scott, my biggest question for you this week is about the Bills defense. Exactly how good are they? Are they good enough to carry the Bills to a surprise playoff berth?

    SL: Buffalo's defense is probably around fifth best. They have four exploitable tendons. First is scheme. If you spread them out, the defensive line spacing will allow you the opportunity to run inside. If you bunch receivers one one side you can effectively run off tackle to either side if your tackles are good.

    Second weakness is personnel. They have nobody who can cover a good tight end. None.

    Third is Safety. If injuries require that Duke Williams is in the game you can throw all day wherever he is. See the Patriots game for examples.

    Fourth, IF they fail to apply pressure on the QB AND they are in a zone, they are susceptible to long completions.

    Beyond that? It's legit.

    The second question about the Bills leads me into rage. As you may be aware I do not think highly of their OC. Today he allowed as how they need to refocus the offense and specifically the running game because Orton is not a read-option threat AND the best way to do that is find the things they have been doing well and keep doing only those things. And he is not one to engage in coach-y disinformation campaigns. He means it. Sounds like he wants to reduce the number of running plays even more than the current eight.

    IF they figure out that it is legal to run out of a four wide set they will find success and the defense won't have to carry them very far at all.

    The only two things that worry me are the possibility of an injury to Orton bringing Manuel back in, and the winter weather putting Buffalo's kick coverage units back in play. They have been getting a lot of touchbacks and fair catches, but those fade away in December. Buffalo's kick coverage units have been below average when pressed into service this year.

    I believe Buffalo will in fact get a wild card slot, probably fifth or sixth, and will finish no worse than 10-6. The teams they will not beat in the playoffs due to coaching mismatches are Denver and New England. They can beat everyone else in the AFC.


    The Commish Report- Fantasy Minute
    BW: I know, I know. No one cares about anyone else’s fantasy team. But what I experienced this past week is worth sharing.

    Thursday night, I had Demaryius Thomas going for me. It’s a PPR league, so his 21 points were perfectly fine. Problem was, the other guy had Ronnie Hillman, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Gates. I was down 82-21.

    On Sunday, he had Drew Brees, Matt Forte, Le’Veon Bell, Brandon LaFell, Larry Fitzgerald, and even had Mason Crosby and the Bills defense. He ended up with a league-record 270.

    Meanwhile, I was *forced* to go with Big Ben since Kaep was on a bye, and had Antonio Brown, Jeremy Maclin, and Randall Cobb with DeMarco Murray going on MNF. By the time Sunday ended, I needed 35 from Murray to pull off the improbable win. Murray got 27, and I ended up losing 270-262. Oh, and I left Mark Ingram and his 29 points on my bench in favor of Ben Tate and his 9. Oops.

    Those scores represented the highest and 3rd highest points in our league’s history with regard to points per player. Our league is in its 12th year. With 755 regular season matchups (1510 total weekly team performances), and an additional 65 playoff games, it’s pretty remarkable that one matchup would produce 2 of the 3 highest point totals of all-time. My team is now 6-2, so I’m not sweating it, but that’s a pretty tough loss to take.

    Oh, and it may be too late, but get Mark Ingram if you can. Considering talent and schedule (and yes, I think he’s now going to get the ball consistently), he’s an RB1 the rest of the way. We’ve known that he can run between the tackles, but the explosion he showed on Sunday night jumped off the screen. He looked almost Terrell Davis-like.

    Week 9 FACT/CRAP
    -Steelers/Ravens is a better rivalry than Manning/Brady.
    -Ben Roethlisberger had the greatest regular season performance by a QB in history.
    -The Steeler throwbacks are incredible.
    -The Cards will be the first team to hold DeMarco Murray under 100 yards.
    -Jonas Gray is your favorite Jonas brother.
    -Rex Ryan is a good HC stuck in an impossible situation.
    -Thom Brenneman needs to get the H out.
    -Mike Smith finishes the season as the Falcons HC.
    -White Goodman is a better athlete than Zach Mettenberger.
    -The Tennessee Titans are pointless.
    -Lamarr Houston should stop trolling Stephen Tulloch.
    -Impractical Jokers is the funniest show on TV.


    Quick Week 9 Thoughts by Scott
    -Arizona is suffering form concussions in the secondary, which could slow them against Dallas, who is suffering injuries in the Linebackers and Romo. Interesting game.
    -Indy just showed some defensive weakness.
    -This would be an interesting week to see which Dolphins team shows up.
    -I fear Chicago is free falling.
    -Can San Francisco and/or Seattle claw their way back into leadership positions?
    -Will the NFC Suckth improve?


    Now It’s Your Turn
    BW: Despite a total of 6 teams on bye, we still have a pretty good week ahead of us. In the early window, we have a battle for NFC supremacy, as the Cardinals travel to Dallas to take on the Cowboys. Will Tony Romo be healthy enough to go, and be effective for the Cowboys?

    In the late window, we get Manning vs. Brady. The Broncos have established themselves as the clear class of the AFC, but Brady has the Patriots soaring, thanks in large part to the return to health of Rob Gronkowski. Can the Pats keep things rolling against the Broncos?

    Sunday night brings us a renewal of the best rivalry in the NFL. Despite the 20 point spread earlier this year in favor of Baltimore, expect a much closer game this time around. This is the type of game where the Steelers love to play things close to the vest. However, with a shaky defense, they’ve proven to be at their best when putting the ball in Ben’s hands, and letting him call the shots in the no-huddle. Will this be the traditional slugfest we’ve all come to respect, or will this be a higher scoring game than we’re used to seeing from these two rivals?

    The ball is now in your court. Please share your thoughts on the week ahead below. Your NFL week 9 thread is officially open for business.

    Comments 34 Comments
    1. Rich Gapinski's Avatar
      I called this "Grim and Bear It" in the Bears section:

      I fear that the cheapness of the McCaskey family will buy Trestman a third year and the only move may be to get rid of Mel Tucker. I have been rooting for Trestman the whole time. Unfortunately, facts are facts. I grew tired of Lovie and saw the slow decrease in overall team skill, partly due to poor cap deals, but I could rely on him to bring a defense to the table each and every season. This is, by far, the most offensive talent I have seen the Bears have in my lifetime. The line is even good (Probably just average to good with recent injuries). Trestman is supposed to be an offensive guy. From that, I expect the offense to be good. The problems are thus (in no particular order):

      1. No team captain. I think this idea he had with rotating captains was a cute one, but one better served for college or high school teams. How often do we hear about locker room leaders in the NFL? Are the young Bears players, of which there are many, supposed to listen to the new captain each week? Trestman was hurt on this front with the speed leaving Lance Briggs and the injury to Tillman because Peanut would have been the perfect captain this year. Yes, his injury occurred in week 2, so they would have lost him and the decision would have been made before that, but I still think that was the way to go. There had to be a better answer than trying to give out 17 participation trophies.

      2. No unit of the team is consistently good. This is really bad for the offense because that's what Trestman is supposed to be good at. To see the Bears special teams deteriorate has been a really painful thing to see. Again, at least Lovie could be counted on for defense. If we, as fans, can't count on that, what is there to look for? The current frustration with watching this offense has not quite approached the 47 different screens offense under John Shoop, but it is close.

      3. It's how the team has lost that feels even worse. With Trestman being an offensive guy coming off a season where the Bears offense looked good, I expected to see things finely tuned. Instead, I see inexplicable things like an offense willing to dink and dunk while ignoring Matt Forte as a thing that could open up the field a little. I don't see significant changes on offense after the lackluster first halves. Last year, Cutler looked good because he was allowed to trust his arm and throw downfield. Just over 16% of his throws were over 20 yards in 2013. This year, it is down to 10% and is down 4% on all throws 10+ yards. Basically, the offense is allowing defenses to run zone and dictate drives while waiting for Cutler to make a mistake. Cutler will make mistakes if he feels like he has to make a play. Of course, the defense hasn't been good, so we see deficits and a lack of changes throughout the game. It's a real bad combination.

      4. The team looked unprepared to play in San Francisco and New England. Even worse, the defense wasn't prepared at home against Miami and Green Bay. Also, they got worse in the second half against Carolina.

      5. It seems as Trestman is content to try to fit Cutler into a West Coast system where Cutler may be best in a downfield attack. A guy who loves the downfield attack? Bruce Arians. The guy the Bears passed on for Trestman.

      6. Phil Emery actually took time yesterday to remember the good 1.5 games that Shea McClellin has played in his career. When Emery took McClellin in the first round with a ton of great talent still on the board, I called it a "too cute" move that a scout makes that he probably should avoid. The fact that he pointed at such a small point in the career of a player who has seen the field less and less even when healthy, I took that as a sign that Emery may not have a good grip on the situation.

      7. Even though part of my life is writing about football, I have this theory where things must be going badly if I am right. It's hard to refute any of the above.
    1. Brian Williams's Avatar
      According to Ed Werder on twitter, there's an increasing possibility that Tony Romo is going to miss some time.
    1. Patrick Sullivan's Avatar
      There had to be a better answer than trying to give out 17 participation trophies.
      Capri Sun & candied orange slices?

      I agree. A team needs a captaincy that is steady week to week. This bullsnot business of changing captains every week is exactly that - bullsnot.

      The following teams go with the week-to-week appointment of captains:

      • Atlanta
      • Baltimore
      • Chicago
      • Detroit
      • Green Bay
      • Houston
      • Minnesota
      • Philadelphia
      • **San Francisco only rotates special teams captains
    1. Rich Gapinski's Avatar
      I can how that works for some of those teams. I feel it was a poor move for the Bears.
    1. iwatt's Avatar
      The Bears problem on offense are twofold: Rich made the great point about the Offense "taking" what they are given, but at some point you need to just go for it.

      The other issue is the procedure penalties (holding, false starts, etc..)

      The D is bad. Unlike other, I do think it's an issue of addition by substraction. Lance Briggs is not the guy he used to be, and our best MLB - defensive playe was Sharpton, but he is hurt, a FA pickup and not "veteran" enough, so Williams keeps getting the nod. Bostic has bad isntincts. Shea Mclellin is a sunk cost. I'm not sure Briggs is the leader the team needs, but he is the "biggest" one. Peanut isn't playing, Jared Allen is new to the team. Urlacher left a huge void.

      Emery's drafting has been good, except for Mclellin.
    1. Patrick Sullivan's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
      I can how that works for some of those teams. I feel it was a poor move for the Bears.
      Interesting coinincidence that all four NFCN teams use the method yet not one other division has more than one team on that list.

      NFCN - 4 teams
      NFCS, AFCN, AFCS, NFCE - 1 team each
      NFCW - SF has ST only, so I do not really count that one
      AFCE, AFCW - 0 teams
    1. Amy's Avatar
      My takes on Fact or Crap:

      -Steelers/Ravens is a better rivalry than Manning/Brady: Define Better? You're mixing apples and oranges comparing two teams to two players. So, I'll break it downs. Is Steelers/Ravens a better rivalry than:

      Colts (Manning) vs Pats: Crap.
      Broncos (Manning) vs Pats: Fact

      -Ben Roethlisberger had the greatest regular season performance by a QB in history: Crap. I tihnk you make the case nicely that Tittle's was better

      -The Steeler throwbacks are incredible: CRAP. The Jail uniforms are more horrible than those bland throwbacks the Packers wear, or the every week Jags half painted helmets.

      -The Cards will be the first team to hold DeMarco Murray under 100 yards: Fact if Romo is out. Maybe if he plays.

      -Jonas Gray is your favorite Jonas brother: Fact

      -Rex Ryan is a good HC stuck in an impossible situation: Fact

      -Thom Brenneman needs to get the H out: Crap

      -Mike Smith finishes the season as the Falcons HC: Fact

      -White Goodman is a better athlete than Zach Mettenberger: Dunno

      -The Tennessee Titans are pointless: Crap.

      -Lamarr Houston should stop trolling Stephen Tulloch: OMG, definately Crap. To see him get hurt in the same way Tulloch did while celebrating a late 4th quarter sack of a backup QB while down 25 is priceless! I hope he recovers fine, and has a good career, but the unintentional comedy of that injury is hard to put into words.

      -Impractical Jokers is the funniest show on TV: No idea.
    1. Brian Williams's Avatar
      Why are the Panthers punting? What purpose does it serve? To preserve the better looking loss? Is it in some way better to lose 28-10 with dignity than 35-10 because you went for it on 4th down and failed?
    1. Nancy's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
      Why are the Panthers punting? What purpose does it serve? To preserve the better looking loss? Is it in some way better to lose 28-10 with dignity than 35-10 because you went for it on 4th down and failed?
      I can only shake my head. I actually have a headache from all the head shaking I did last night. The Panthers' season is over..when you start losing and losing badly to other NFC South teams, it's all over (except the cussing).
      The defense looked good for 2.5 quarters, though I think it might have been more a matter of the Saints looking bad.
      The offense was nightmare-ish. Greg Olsen is the teams' best and most reliable receiver and we've barely heard his name in the past two weeks. Nobody else can hold on to the freakin' ball and frankly, this was the worst game I've seen Cam Newton play in a couple of years. Some of the problems are directly related to the problems on the line, but the line can't help Benjamin, Cotchery, et al. hold on to perfectly thrown balls.

      Fortunately, the Panthers don't play again until a week from Monday, when they will be humiliated on national TV for the 3rd time this season.
    1. Brian Williams's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
      I can only shake my head. I actually have a headache from all the head shaking I did last night. The Panthers' season is over..when you start losing and losing badly to other NFC South teams, it's all over (except the cussing).
      The defense looked good for 2.5 quarters, though I think it might have been more a matter of the Saints looking bad.
      The offense was nightmare-ish. Greg Olsen is the teams' best and most reliable receiver and we've barely heard his name in the past two weeks. Nobody else can hold on to the freakin' ball and frankly, this was the worst game I've seen Cam Newton play in a couple of years. Some of the problems are directly related to the problems on the line, but the line can't help Benjamin, Cotchery, et al. hold on to perfectly thrown balls.

      Fortunately, the Panthers don't play again until a week from Monday, when they will be humiliated on national TV for the 3rd time this season.
      What has happened to Greg Olsen? Is he dealing with some sort of injury or something? He had been great, and has suddenly disappeared the past couple of weeks. ({This question has absolutely nothing to do with my fantasy team whatsoever})
    1. ScottDCP's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
      What has happened to Greg Olsen? Is he dealing with some sort of injury or something? He had been great, and has suddenly disappeared the past couple of weeks. ({This question has absolutely nothing to do with my fantasy team whatsoever})
      Yes, a knee injury:


    1. Nancy's Avatar
      Olsen has had an ankle injury that was not helped by Mr. Burfict, but I don't know that that's the problem. He's had some more blocking responsibility due to the condition of the offensive line, but mainly the Panthers just seem to be focusing on Kelvin Benjamin. Of course, everyone knows that Olsen is the only consistent receiver the Panthers have; I know Seattle gave him lots of attention and so did the Saints. Why wouldn't they? Benjamin is a great weapon, but he's not consistent, and Newton has just been kind of off the past couple of games. I wouldn't drop Olsen, though, Brian. I think he'll get his catches down the line. Plus, who could you pick up who would be better? This question has nothing to do with my fantasy team...
    1. Patrick Sullivan's Avatar


    1. Brian Williams's Avatar
      The Cowboys caught a bit of a break this week in that their game is at home and not in Arizona. Had it been in Arizona, they'd have been forced to play, and thus determine Tony Romo's status an hour earlier, since Arizona doesn't recognize daylight savings time.

      There's a chance I may not be understanding this properly.
    1. hobbes27's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
      The Cowboys caught a bit of a break this week in that their game is at home and not in Arizona. Had it been in Arizona, they'd have been forced to play, and thus determine Tony Romo's status an hour earlier, since Arizona doesn't recognize daylight savings time.

      There's a chance I may not be understanding this properly.
      Yep, you totally lost me how playing in Arizona is a disadvantage. Especially since DST is tonight anyway.
    1. Brian Williams's Avatar
      Week 9 FACT/CRAP answer key.
      -Steelers/Ravens is a better rivalry than Manning/Brady. FACT
      -Ben Roethlisberger had the greatest regular season performance by a QB in history. CRAP- it's 3rd, behind Tittle in 62, and every game ever quarterbacked by Ken Anderson.
      -The Steeler throwbacks are incredible. FACT
      -The Cards will be the first team to hold DeMarco Murray under 100 yards. CRAP, He may have 40 carries this game.
      -Jonas Gray is your favorite Jonas brother. CRAP, it's Jonas Salk.
      -Rex Ryan is a good HC stuck in an impossible situation. FACT- he just may never get the opportunity to prove it.
      -Thom Brenneman needs to get the H out. FACT- IT'S SPELLED T-O-M!!!!!
      -Mike Smith finishes the season as the Falcons HC. CRAP- this explains pretty much everything.

      -White Goodman is a better athlete than Zach Mettenberger. FACT- Goodman is a dodgeball legend.

      -The Tennessee Titans are pointless. FACT
      -Lamarr Houston should stop trolling Stephen Tulloch. FACT
      -Impractical Jokers is the funniest show on TV. FACT, but only if you like random mindless humor.
    1. mikesteelnation1's Avatar
      Steelers/Ravens is a better rivalry than Manning/Brady.
      FACT. .. Steelers/Ravens isn't so one sided based on the outcome of the game.
      -Ben Roethlisberger had the greatest regular season performance by a QB in history.
      Push. Nearly impossible to quantify the super old igames it's being compared to. It's the only game a qb ever went over 80% comp on 40+ completions
      -The Steeler throwbacks are incredible. Nope I hate them, but ben always wins in them so I'll defer...
      -The Cards will be the first team to hold DeMarco Murray under 100 yards. Ummm when will the wheels come off??
      -Jonas Gray is your favorite Jonas brother. What's a Jonas brother? ?
      -Rex Ryan is a good HC stuck in an impossible situation... Rex will be a great DC next year...
      -Thom Brenneman needs to get the H out. Get that h the hell out of there!!!
      -Mike Smith finishes the season as the Falcons HC. He won't be the hc much after the season if he makes it that far..
      -White Goodman is a better athlete than Zach Mettenberger. Who the hell is white Goodman? ? Mettenberger shouldn't take any more slefies...
      -The Tennessee Titans are pointless.
      -Lamarr Houston should stop trolling Stephen Tulloch.
      -Impractical Jokers is the funniest show on TV. Love this show... them stealing food off others plates at a buffet was epic!!!
    1. Brian Williams's Avatar
      Kirk Cousins- from The Answer to inactive 3rd string in 2 weeks.

      Let that be a lesson to teams that are offered legitimate draft picks for backup QBs. More often than not, they're a backup for a reason.
    1. Brian Williams's Avatar
      The Steelers retire Mean Joe's #75 tonight. Only need the second number they've ever retired (#60- Ernie Stautner). I'd love to see them break out the old block letter jerseys for the game. THAT should be their throwback look.

      Attachment 1114
    1. brauneyz's Avatar
      What the hell happened to the Bolts today? Shutout at MIA? Apparently the whole reverse psychology of starting out the season strong ain't panning out either. Once again, the division is the Broncos for the taking. (No, even with a win today KC is not a serious contender.)