• Recent Article Comments Widget

    Patrick Sullivan

    Oakland Raiders 2014 Team Preview

    Nice work, Evan.

    I am curious to see what happens in Oakland this year. They have stadium... Go to last post

    Patrick Sullivan 07-18-2014 09:50 AM
    Rich Gapinski

    Saints Reach Deal with Jimmy Graham

    I agree with the writer. I did not consider the contract to be some great windfall that would... Go to last post

    Rich Gapinski 07-17-2014 03:04 PM
    xmenehune

    Saints Reach Deal with Jimmy Graham

    you guys should read this at overthecap.com:

    Thoughts on the Impact of Jimmy Graham’s Contract
    ... Go to last post

    xmenehune 07-17-2014 02:39 PM
  • Contributors


    Cris Collinsworth

    Former Pro Bowl wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals and Emmy-winning analyst from Sunday Night Football and Inside the NFL.
    Dave Lapham
    Has called game for the Bengals radio network for 25 years. Analyst for Big 12 games on Fox Sports Net. Played 10 years in the NFL for the Cincinnati Bengals.
    Turk Schonert
    NFL quarterback for 10 years with the Bengals and Falcons. Has served as quarterback coach for the Buccaneers, Bills, Panthers, Giants and Saints and Offensive Coordinator for the Bills.
    Phil McConkey
    Played 6 years in the NFL as a WR, punt returner and kick returner for the Giants, Packers, Cardinals and Chargers. Played college football at the Naval Academy and served in the U.S. Navy before joining the NFL. Best remembered for his oustanding game in Super Bowl XXI.
    Josina Anderson
    Josina "JoJo" Anderson is contributing reporter on Showtime's Inside the NFL and is a weekend co-anchor/reporter/producer for FOX 31 Sports in Denver, Colorado. Josina produces the nightly sportscasts and covers the Denver Broncos, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, and the Colorado Rockies.
    Jerry Jones
    NFL Draft Expert, has published the acclaimed Drugstore List since 1978.
    Russell S Baxter
    Researcher, writer and editor covering the NFL for over 30 years.
    Andy Freeland
    Statistician and researcher for NBC's Sunday Night Football.
  • Champ Bailey to place home up for sale; desires better deal from Broncos

    The Denver Broncos have reached out to Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey to resume contract talks, but with those discussions leading to original terms, the 32-year-old NFL veteran appears to be sending signs that he’s not intending to stay in Denver at this time.

    "I am putting my Littleton, (CO) house up for sale. It will be officially listed within the next few days,” said Bailey to in a phone conversation Wednesday morning.

    While Bailey didn’t say his move to place his home on the market in the near future is a reactionary to the status of talks with the team, he made it clear that his place, “is already up for sale in my mind.”

    However, sources emphasized that if more palatable terms come to pass amounting to more than an aggregate of several one-year options, Bailey could possibly be persuaded to change his current plans.

    Initial contract talks between Bailey, a 10-time Pro Bowler, and the Broncos came to an abrupt halt in October as the two sides were discussing a four-year extension worth in excess of $40 million.

    As of two weeks before the Super Bowl Bailey’s agent, Jack Reale, directly relayed that he hadn’t talked to the organization’s brass by that time, saying, “there has been no contact from the Broncos since before the season started.”

    Although discussions between both parties recently resumed since then, the indication now is that the Broncos haven’t budged from their initial financial position.

    “The Broncos' negotiating posture has not changed in any respect from the offer that was made back in October which provided only limited guarantees,” said a source close to talks between the Broncos and Bailey’s representatives.

    “The money represents nothing more than a commitment to the player for just the upcoming season only, which Bailey would be highly unlikely to accept in its current form on the brink of free agency (and) given the lack of security provided beyond the first year of the contract."

    Bailey is at the end of his seven-year, $63 million contract and he is eligible for unrestricted free agency once the NFL and the players union agree on a new collective bargaining agreement.

    Comments 18 Comments
    1. Pruitt's Avatar
      Great player, but at that price, he is a luxury for the Broncos.

      They have so many needs, that the money Bailey wants could be spread amongst a couple of positions. If I'm Denver, I wish him good luck on the house and give his agent Dan Snyder's number.
    1. Josina Anderson's Avatar
      What are your thoughts on the Green Bay packers without the much older Charles Woodson? Broncos should be very cautious to let Bailey walk. Quality costs money, no breaking news there...cue Jerry Maguire
    1. Colts01's Avatar
      Bailey is one of those guys that deserves to have his contract addressed,although this is an awkward year to be a free agent.Are the Broncos betting the lockout lasts long enough that Champ takes the one year of guaranteed money?He may be on the back end of his career but you can tell him Indy would have him any day Josina

      His stats
    1. Josina Anderson's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Colts01 View Post
      Bailey is one of those guys that deserves to have his contract addressed,although this is an awkward year to be a free agent.Are the Broncos betting the lockout lasts long enough that Champ takes the one year of guaranteed money?He may be on the back end of his career but you can tell him Indy would have him any day Josina

      His stats
      And Atlanta, and the Skins maybe
    1. Darren83's Avatar
      Josina:

      Do you think the Broncos hierarchy are waiting on Champ Bailey because they are considering the selection of LSU's Patrick Peterson at #2? He's a consensus Top 5 pick and best Corner in the draft, in addition to prowess as a Punt Returner. Given the possibility of a rookie wage scale as well as the potential and youth of Peterson, Xanders and Elway may be doing their due diligence and making Champ wait.

      Of course, as a self-interested individual, I am monitoring this situation, as it impacts the players available for my Bills. Would love to see Bowers/Fairley fall to #3. Although Peterson might be the can't miss player of the 2011 Draft, considering the importance of a lockdown corner in today's passing-heavy league (see: Revis, Darrelle; Williams, Tramon and Woodson, Charles to name a few).
    1. ScottDCP's Avatar
      I think Champ will make beautiful money as a safety if his legs fail him as a corner in the next few years. Definitely worth the money, not just form the individual performance, but from the reality that he makes it easier for the guys around him to play loose.
    1. Polishguy00's Avatar
      I don't see why picking Peterson would preclude the Broncos from keeping Bailey. Is there a better thing to have than a proven veteran to teach a rookie? Besides, with all the 3 option and 4 option and even 5 option pass plays in the league right now, no team wants a shortage of good defensive backs. Broncos need to man up and pay him here. The Bears will have to do the same with Urlacher in a couple years and it will be worth it.

      The wrench in this thing is......wait for it......hold on....still coming.....the CBA! This is just going to be a weird year.
    1. Dave Lapham's Avatar
      Bailey could definitely move to safety from a coverage standpoint, but the game is much more physical inside than it is on the edge. Rod Woodson made the transition and played at a Pro Bowl level at both spots. Paying Bailey top tier CB money to play safety does not make sense though. It definitely is a ticklish scenerio for both sides.
    1. ScottDCP's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lapham View Post
      Bailey could definitely move to safety from a coverage standpoint, but the game is much more physical inside than it is on the edge. Rod Woodson made the transition and played at a Pro Bowl level at both spots. Paying Bailey top tier CB money to play safety does not make sense though. It definitely is a ticklish scenerio for both sides.
      Even at Free?
    1. Dave Lapham's Avatar
      Free safeties do not make shutdown CB money.
    1. BuckeyeRidley's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Colts01 View Post
      Bailey is one of those guys that deserves to have his contract addressed,although this is an awkward year to be a free agent.Are the Broncos betting the lockout lasts long enough that Champ takes the one year of guaranteed money?He may be on the back end of his career but you can tell him Indy would have him any day Josina

      His stats
      Nice stats Colts I think Bailey will stay with the Broncos. In recent years, Bowlen has been playing hard ball and is playing rough here, but after a new CBA deal look for both to agree.
    1. Josina Anderson's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Darren83 View Post
      Josina:

      Do you think the Broncos hierarchy are waiting on Champ Bailey because they are considering the selection of LSU's Patrick Peterson at #2? He's a consensus Top 5 pick and best Corner in the draft, in addition to prowess as a Punt Returner. Given the possibility of a rookie wage scale as well as the potential and youth of Peterson, Xanders and Elway may be doing their due diligence and making Champ wait.

      Of course, as a self-interested individual, I am monitoring this situation, as it impacts the players available for my Bills. Would love to see Bowers/Fairley fall to #3. Although Peterson might be the can't miss player of the 2011 Draft, considering the importance of a lockdown corner in today's passing-heavy league (see: Revis, Darrelle; Williams, Tramon and Woodson, Charles to name a few).
      As great as Peterson may be, I do not think that the Broncos should let go of a proven commodity in the secondary. As for some of the other aging players on defense...that is up for debate...
    1. Josina Anderson's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
      I think Champ will make beautiful money as a safety if his legs fail him as a corner in the next few years. Definitely worth the money, not just form the individual performance, but from the reality that he makes it easier for the guys around him to play loose.
      Great point! You have to have swagger when you are out there....I know the Raven feel better when Ray Lewis is on the field as oppose to some random nobody named "Ray Ray" out of "Who are you University." I'm just saying
      Sometimes teams make things too complicated.
    1. Josina Anderson's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Polishguy00 View Post
      I don't see why picking Peterson would preclude the Broncos from keeping Bailey. Is there a better thing to have than a proven veteran to teach a rookie? Besides, with all the 3 option and 4 option and even 5 option pass plays in the league right now, no team wants a shortage of good defensive backs. Broncos need to man up and pay him here. The Bears will have to do the same with Urlacher in a couple years and it will be worth it.

      The wrench in this thing is......wait for it......hold on....still coming.....the CBA! This is just going to be a weird year.
      Love this idea...I am not opposed to that..problem is is that the Broncos need beef up from. Some "Fairley" good beef. You get my drift?
    1. Josina Anderson's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lapham View Post
      Bailey could definitely move to safety from a coverage standpoint, but the game is much more physical inside than it is on the edge. Rod Woodson made the transition and played at a Pro Bowl level at both spots. Paying Bailey top tier CB money to play safety does not make sense though. It definitely is a ticklish scenerio for both sides.
      How much did Richard Seymour get again??? LOL I need to go play for the Raiders. Who has Al Davis' cell number???
    1. msclemons's Avatar
      I'm a bit confused (nothing new). Did the Broncos offer 4yrs for $40 million? That seems to be a good number for a stub CB these days. Or is that what Champ is seeking and the Broncos aren't close?
    1. Josina Anderson's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
      I'm a bit confused (nothing new). Did the Broncos offer 4yrs for $40 million? That seems to be a good number for a stub CB these days. Or is that what Champ is seeking and the Broncos aren't close?
      Yes that deal was offered was and taken off the table last October. It was in excess of $40 million though. And no....10 million a year with only guarantees in 1st year of new deal, and no security after that is not a good deal...LOL.
      Bailey is 32, Woodson 34...Bailey's got some good time left in him. Plus he played a an extremely jacked up right heel last season and still literally shut down the likes of a Dwayne Bowe among others.
      Love ya.
    1. Polishguy00's Avatar
      He signed it and they paid him. Denver must not know that it is a bad idea to listen to me. Sorry, Broncos.