Draft Review: First 5 Picks
1) Carolina: Cam Newton. Freakish talent, but NFL games are won by great quarterbacks throwing mostly from the pocket. Cam Newton may become the greatest pocket passer of all time, but I did not see enough of that in college to know. If he is successful he will become Ben Roethlisberger, scrambling to throw. Too risky to be the top pick for me.
2) Denver: Von Miller: Best player in the draft. His ability to turn the corner and pressure the quarterback is a must in the modern NFL. Pressure without having to blitz protects issues in the secondary. Return of Elvis Dummerville with Miller could take the Broncos to the playoffs. Love the pick.
3) Buffalo: Marcell Darreus: Can't miss prospect. He can play almost any position along the defensive line. Huge guy with quickness. Didn't make as many plays as I thought on film, but the Bills have a force on the DL they haven't had in years. Doesn't have the nasty streak of Nick Fairley. Bills had to take him.
4) Cincinnati: AJ Green: Incredible talent and quickness for a big man. His hands are as good as I have seen in years coming out of college. 4.5 speed a concern. I thought even college defensive backs could easily run with him. He may play more like Larry Fitzgerald playing above defensive backs instead of behind them. Pick allows the Bengals to rid themselves of headaches at WR if they choose. Coin toss for me with Julio Jones.
5) Arizona: Patrick Peterson: Physical skills beyond compare. Not since Deion Sanders has a DB had the physical abilities that Peterson has. Tough to grade on tape because of limited man coverage roles. He is not as physical as I had hoped, and I was ready to put him into my 6-10 category until I started watching him return kicks. WOW! I would play him on defense, offense, and special teams. New kick-off return rules will hurt the Cardinals this year. Cardinals will play like the Steelers with Ray Horton as the new defensive coordinator. Could Peterson play the Troy Polomalu role on occasion? Dominique Rogers-Cromartie's poor year may have led to this pick. Lack of a pass rush may have contributed to DRC's bad year.