Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Changing Penn State Coaching Search. Or is it?...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuss240 View Post
    Trumpet,

Very well written post! I enjoyed reading it and actually have had the same feelings. AD Joyner has had an arrogance to him the last few weeks (which i know doesn't mean anything...necessarily) but I don't think he would have this much and appear as relaxed as he does if they didn't already have some one in play. After the PSU's bowl game, you could tell Bradley knew it was the end. There was a lot of emotion in his eyes and I just got this feeling he knew....not exactly who, just that it wasn't him. I am not biting on any of the NFL names...other than Greg Roman. If you look as his interviews the last couple days, he is interested, but "waiting to see what happens." I think, personally, he is the Plan B you referred to.

Everyone shot Mark Richt down by mid to late december saying there was a contract extension. There has yet to be a contract extension for Mark Richt. There is only one reason to wait this long to name a coach. They are still playing (or just recently finished playing). I heard on the radio about the players only team meeting on friday. My gut (whatever that's worth) told me they are going to tell them one of two things..."you're new coach is....insert name" or "we have the guy, and you will know his name after monday".

This is all just my feelings, as i have found myself daily trying to keep up with the abundance of names that the media continues to throw out there.

A lot of people, just people, are saying this job is toxic. It really isn't. If you were the coach going into this situation, what is toxic for you? If you have the name, recruiting will take off. No one is going to hassel you about the scandal...and if they do, you, for once, can honestly answer is manner like this..."Sorry, that was all before i arrived here and neither me or my staff have anything to do with it. I have no knowledge of what happened, nor do i intend to." And all the while, because of the scandal, the pressure will be lessened, slightly. To boot, the school is in need of a big name, so the ball, in terms of contract negotiations, is more in your court than theirs.

In regards to big time sanctions, you, as well as i know, (or at least you should) that the NCAA is in no position to hand down sanctions. There are no NCAA rule violations. I agree that what happened is awful and needs to be dealt with, and it worse than NCAA rule violations. But facts are facts, the NCAA won't be able to find grounds to place sanctions on PSU. This is a judicial system matter, and as much as the NCAA likes to think it runs the show, this is one area they have no input on. You mean to tell me you haven't noticed the fact that, aside from saying they were looking into whether or not any NCAA rules were violated, that you haven't heard a word about this from the NCAA.

I would to end this by asking one thing of everyone...There are virtually no schools out there that haven't had something to deal with. PSU has been somewhat clean over the years, and this is awful. Not so much for the school, but most for the kids this involved. Yes, PSU will never be able to say this didn't happen, but remember one thing, it was a very small number of people at the university that failed to do their duty...not so much legally, but more so morally. Also, this doesn't involve the players present an past. So to try and ruin their futures, is wrong on those that speak this nonsense parts as well.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed new year!
    Thanks for contributing, Kuss and welcome aboard the FP wagon. I will note that the troubles at PSU have been documented, argued, and then some in another post, so all of that has been addressed on here by many.

It was stated that Bradley "has less than a 1% chance of being here" so yeah, it will be an entire makeover. Shame for him, but that's how it goes. Evidently he has an interview with Kirk Ferentz about the DC position at Iowa. Would be a great hire for them. But Bradley makes for an awful HC candidate, which even Pitt realizes, considering they've now passed him over at least 3 times.

And I agree. I don't think this job is nearly as toxic as many people, including the media, want to believe it should be.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    I have put exactly zero stock in any report claiming knowledge of the PSU coaching position for all the reasons enumerated here.

I was initially in camp with Pruitt and all the rest who believe PSU will be a toxic environment for a long time. But then my cynical side woke up and reminded me just how strong a foundation has been built at State College. Recruiting will be difficult at first and NCAA sanctions will be particularly daunting. But Pennsylvania is still a hotbed for HS football talent that is loaded with PSU fans & alumni who I believe will circle the wagons in the interest of rebuilding - and quickly - the image of their school.
    Exactly. My biggest concern was always about the money they'd be willing to put into it, prior to this mess. But money speaks, and $5 million plus tells me they're serious about keeping PSU atop the football landscape.

Think about this, from a football perspective. This program that is "down" has won 2 B1G championships in 6 years, and competed for a 3rd this year, amidst this scandal, finishing tied with Wisconsin in their division. In both of those championship seasons, they were one play away from at least 1, and a really good argument for 2 national title games. A big time coach who can actually recruit would have this program humming in no time.

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Where's that talent been the last decade?

Penn State has sucked more often than not, and that was with St. Joe running the joint.
    While I long believed Paterno had the right to stay as long as he wished, I have long wished he would have decided to retire. But in 17 seasons as a member of the B10 and under JoePa, the Nittany Lions were 10-4 in bowl games. That does not suck. They had a couple rough years, sure. But 'sucked more often than not'? No.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    While I long believed Paterno had the right to stay as long as he wished, I have long wished he would have decided to retire. But in 17 seasons as a member of the B10 and under JoePa, the Nittany Lions were 10-4 in bowl games. That does not suck. They had a couple rough years, sure. But 'sucked more often than not'? No.
    To piggy back, PSU has had less than 9 wins in a season 1 time since 2004. That was 7 wins in 2010.

-Marion Motley

Can't just up & ignore these two stinkers, Trumpet.

2003 - (3-9)
    2004 - (4-7)

Is ^this around the time Paterno got rid of the headseat?
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Can't just up & ignore these two stinkers, Trumpet.

2003 - (3-9)
    2004 - (4-7)

Is ^this around the time Paterno got rid of the headseat?
    I'm not, but really, those two years are it, and that's 7 and 8 years ago (or is it 8 and 9? January confuses me). After 2004, according to "A Lion In Autumn" (fantastic read, by the way), Paterno was told to resign by everyone (Pres, AD, BOT, etc). He said no. Told them to give him one more year. They did, he got the top recruiting class in the country, including the top 2 players that year in Derrick Williams and Justin King, and they went 11-1, won the B11, and he kept his job.

And Paterno never had a head set. On game day, he let his coaches coach, but making it known when he didn't appreciate their playcalling by grabbing one of the lackies on the sideline.

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    I'm not, but really, those two years are it, and that's 7 and 8 years ago (or is it 8 and 9? January confuses me). After 2004, according to "A Lion In Autumn" (fantastic read, by the way), Paterno was told to resign by everyone (Pres, AD, BOT, etc). He said no. Told them to give him one more year. They did, he got the top recruiting class in the country, including the top 2 players that year in Derrick Williams and Justin King, and they went 11-1, won the B11, and he kept his job.

And Paterno never had a head set. On game day, he let his coaches coach, but making it known when he didn't appreciate their playcalling by grabbing one of the lackies on the sideline.
    Sorry, I can extend that to the early 00s, save for 2002 when Larry Johnson went nuts. The Minnesota loss in 1999 when they were #1 started the spiral until the class of 2005.

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    To piggy back, PSU has had less than 9 wins in a season 1 time since 2004. That was 7 wins in 2010.
    Another way to say that, is that since 2004 Penn State has had one 7-6 season and three 9-4 seasons. And in a 9 win season, 4 of those wins came against Akron, Youngstown State, Temple and Northwestern.

My hostility towards Penn State is because I've seen no honest effort by the university to address its fundamental issues. Nor any recognition by its alumni, sidewalk alumni and former players that there even is a fundamental problem which needs to be addressed.

Blog Entries
    *UPDATE*

For the record, I'm just taking info that I know, but which is not widely known since the national media is way off, and trying to piece this puzzle together. I still believe that Plan A is Mark Richt.

But according to someone who's been involved in the meetings regarding the coaching search, Plan A is still unwilling to commit, based on the concerns of his wife, so they are now prepared to offer the job to Plan B, with an announcement coming either tomorrow (unlikely at this point since nothing's been prepared) or early next week, prior to a series of town hall meetings planned by President Rodney Erickson to take place around the state starting January 11. Plan B is someone who this person is not happy with, but is content with.

Evidently, after the hire is made, it will be made known who Plan A was, as well as the 4 contracts that were drawn up by the committee. Some notable names that have been confirmed to have never been considered or contacted include Al Golden and Chris Petersen. If they get to a Plan B without considering Al Golden, as it appears has happened, to me that's inexcusable.

I do not believe Plan B to be Bill O'Brien. Greg Roman or Tom Clements would be less surprising, but my guess is it's not them either. The hire may have been mentioned at some point, but I don't think it's any of the names we've heard recently as finalists. That's completely my gut talking.

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    And since the national media has apparently now given up, and has resorted to "Bill O'Brien definitely did/did not interview" posts, I'll provide another update.

During halftime of the Penn State-Purdue basketball game, AD Dave Joiner gave an interview on the PSU Radio Network stating that a hire will be made by January 13, which is the start of the final recruiting period prior to national signing day.

-Marion Motley