Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Changing Penn State Coaching Search. Or is it?...

Blog Entries
    1) I think PSU, like Michigan, has had a bad time of it in the 2000s. 9-4 isn't a good record for a school wanting to be a National Power. 12-1, 13-0 are good records, 11-2 are neutral, and less is going backwards.

If you want to be a Top 10 program, you can't have 4 losses or even 3 and maybe not even 2.

2) I don't think the PSU job will be toxic. What will happen is that PSU will lose a lot of money in litigation and there will be weeks where the National Press is in town. The second will be a problem for a new coach, the first is a problem for the college itself.

3) Can I throw Jim Tressel into the pot as a name?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    1) I think PSU, like Michigan, has had a bad time of it in the 2000s. 9-4 isn't a good record for a school wanting to be a National Power. 12-1, 13-0 are good records, 11-2 are neutral, and less is going backwards.

If you want to be a Top 10 program, you can't have 4 losses or even 3 and maybe not even 2.
    Fair enough, but 2 11-1 national title runs in 6 years says that while they may be relatively down, that's pretty darned good. And in those 2 seasons, there was the 2 seconds that Lloyd Carr lobbied for in 2005 that enabled 1 second left for Manningham to catch the TD on the final play to give Michigan a 1 point win. And the other was a FG on the last play of the game by Iowa in 2008. Florida, Ohio State, Texas, LSU etc have all had similar seasons. The only difference is that each of those has had the fortune of finishing one spot higher in a mythical computer system than Penn State has during this time frame, giving them a shot at the "real" title.

And it's also within this time frame that Michigan lost by 3 AT Ohio State as an undefeated top 2 team, then got screwed out of the Nat Championship under the exact same circumstances that Alabama was awarded a Nat Championship appearance this year over Oklahoma State. Funny how the same media was so negative against a Mich-Ohio State rematch, is the media that was so heavily in favor of an LSU-Bama rematch this year.

My point is, Michigan was down because their insiders hated Les Miles, screwed that deal up, and ended up with RichRod. They didn't have a bad time in 2000s, it's really just been the 3 years previous to this year.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries

3) Can I throw Jim Tressel into the pot as a name?
    Nice! You can, but it's not Tressel. Of their Plan A/Plan B, Plan A is a current college HC, and Plan B is a guy who would be a work in progress when it comes to recruiting.

-Marion Motley

Mortensen is reporting that Bill O'Brien will be their new HC. Belichick is a good luck charm.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Blog Entries
    I'm holding out hope that this is the most elaborate smokescreen of all time : )

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    HA HA

You got a nobody.

HA HA

You got a nobody.
    Or the only warm body that would take the job.

Blog Entries
    Something is wrong here.

I assumed this guy was a PSU alum. But he isn't.

This is the same guy that was arguing with Brady. At the time, one of the reporters, maybe Bob Ryan, said that after they all kissed and made up Ryan thought the kissy kissy was disengenuous and that this coach was going to find a horse's head in his bed. Could he have been on the quiet outs at NE?

Blog Entries
    Find out what the salary is. Post it here please.

Blog Entries
    Exactly. My biggest concern was always about the money they'd be willing to put into it, prior to this mess. But money speaks, and $5 million plus tells me they're serious about keeping PSU atop the football landscape.
    Can you post a link to the $5M please?