Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFC Divisional Playoff- NY Giants 37 Green Bay Packers 20

Since this discussion about the Giants defense began, a lot of numbers have been used to show that the Giants defense is average. The most that anyone would concede is that they're "inconsistent."

Meanwhile, they keep playing well and winning important games. Last week, the #10 offense in the NFL was held scoreless. This week, the #1 scoring offense was held to 20 at home.

Numbers are well and good. But they're amoral. They can be used to make all sorts of arguments which look pretty. Politicians know this all too well.

Me, I'm looking forward to a clash of defenses at Candlestick. Should be a cracker.

Blog Entries
    Clash of defenses? The Giants had one of the top five passing attacks in the league this year, Manning played great football and he was the main reason the Giants even made it to the Playoffs, not the notoriously sloppy defense. It's the same pattern with New York every year: defense starts out pretty good, wears down and collapses in the 2nd half particularly in pass defense, and then occasionally manages to right the ship. Sometimes they squeak in, sometimes it's too little and too late.

Put it this way. The Giants blanked Matt Ryan, flustered Aaron Rodgers, but couldn't solve Rex Grossman in two attempts. Inconsistent? Absolutely. Great? I don't think so. If the Giants get past the 49ers, it's going to be because of their prolific passing attack, which San Francisco might be susceptible to.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Since this discussion about the Giants defense began, a lot of numbers have been used to show that the Giants defense is average. The most that anyone would concede is that they're "inconsistent."

Meanwhile, they keep playing well and winning important games. Last week, the #10 offense in the NFL was held scoreless. This week, the #1 scoring offense was held to 20 at home.

Numbers are well and good. But they're amoral. They can be used to make all sorts of arguments which look pretty. Politicians know this all too well.

Me, I'm looking forward to a clash of defenses at Candlestick. Should be a cracker.
    Nope the issue is you espousing the greatness of the "improved" defense when the facts show that hasn't been teh truth, just that they have been near average to what you would expect. Not inconsistent just average. Even, the Packers Offense performed just about average to their yearly efforts, except for the aformentioned fumbles and drops that were not predictive based upon the prior results (according to the people who look a these things such as Football Outsiders for instance), therefore are more anomaly then "great D" that you keep trying to state as fact.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

Yup. Giants defensive started coming good and healthier in the Jets game, the week after the Redskins loss. (Yay!) It's not the same defense as at mid-season. I assume you all heard Cris Collinsworth say as much. He essentially predicted this playoff run.

Yup, Eli has been playing really well.

And yup, the Giants D is playing at an elevated level. The argument against them basically goes like this: Jets crap, Cowboys crap, Falcons crap, Green Bay unlucky.

Okay. Let's watch and see. Maybe providence will guide them all the way to a Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post

And yup, the Giants D is playing at an elevated level. The argument against them basically goes like this: Jets crap, Cowboys crap, Falcons crap, Green Bay unlucky.
    You are still missing the point. The Giants held them to exactly what they were doing beforehand (and after as I looked at teh last 3 regualr season games for each team). If they were playing great, they would have held them to LESS then what you would have expected, but that's not the case. The Giants are a good defense, not great, not poor. As stated in previous posts, even the PAckers played pretty much to expectation except for the turnovers that were not predictive based upon past results (by either Giants or Packers).

The biggest difference between you and I is that I would expect the Giants to continue the exact same trend against the Niners as that's what they've done the last 5 games. This would likely result in allowing 170-200yds passing, 140-160yds rushing (with 1 TO) based upon the recent results of both teams. You would state that is playing excellent defense becasue it's 300-350 yards, I would state that it is holding the Niners to what you would expect, nothing more, nothing less. (FWIW, I think the Giants will throw for 320-350yds, rush for 70-90 (1 TO). And it's not becasue the Giants offense is greater then teh Niner Defense or that the Niners defense will turn in a poor performance against the Giants, it's what I think the stats predict and has been shown in teh most recent games). (Also haven't looked as in depth yet, but I am leaning right now Giants to win at Frisco...still need to research a few more things first)

When the numbers continually fall outside of the norm, that's when I feel a team is playing great/poor.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    As others mentioned, the Packers looked flat, particularly Rodgers who just didn't play well. A week off for the team and 2 weeks off for Rodgers probably didn't help.
    Andy I'd have to disagree. 8 drops will make most QBs look bad. Rodgers did miss on a long pass in the 1st quarter and he forced a couple out routes to the left side but for the most part Rodgers was on target. The WRs weren't.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010