Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dixon or Leftwich?

Admittedly, I haven't seen any of the Steelers in the preseason, nor have I followed the battle in camp. But I know what Leftwich is at this point, and it isn't pretty. Certainly the safer pick simply because Dixon hasn't gotten much action, but I worry if Leftwich can really win you any games.

Now, as I recall, Dixon played okay against a really good Baltimore team last year. And I know he was great in college, which wasn't that long ago. This is a bit of a guess, but I don't think he can be any worse than Leftwich and might actually be better. Also, to steal the point from someone above, he plays a lot like Roethlisberger, so it might be a little nicer adjustment (don't know, maybe one of the players can illuminate on that more). So, I'd give the first start to Dixon, but keep him on a short leash in case I'm wrong and he does completely bomb.

I wish the Niners would put together a package to trade for Big Ben.... We could have gotten him on the cheap this offseason....
    “The year we beat Miami in the Super Bowl, ... do you know how many defensive linemen were in our rotation? Nine, and we used them all quite a bit. We just wore the Dolphins out.”

~Bill Walsh

By the second week of the season Leftwich will look like every other statue in Pittsburgh. Covered in pigeon poo. Dixon will have to come in to play while Leftwich is hosed off.

Leftwich has a howitzer for an arm, and he makes decent reads, but his lack of mobility makes Marino look like Gayle Sayers. He's going to get creamed behind a suspect line. Dixon has these new-fangled things called legs and can actually move to avoid the rush.

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    By the second week of the season Leftwich will look like every other statue in Pittsburgh. Covered in pigeon poo. Dixon will have to come in to play while Leftwich is hosed off.

Leftwich has a howitzer for an arm, and he makes decent reads, but his lack of mobility makes Marino look like Gayle Sayers. He's going to get creamed behind a suspect line. Dixon has these new-fangled things called legs and can actually move to avoid the rush.
    LOL....What are you trying to say about Danny? It's not his fault...I won't stand for Marino bashing on here...I just wont.

To answer the question...honestly if it were me...I'd say to hell with it and just start Dixon, you know what Leftwhich is and what he can do, and what he can do is good but not great and you might as well find out what you have in Dixon...unless he totally craps the bed...and then you can put in Leftwich who is a known variable.
    "I suggest a new strategy Artoo...Let the Wookie win..."

Turk makes a great point. Dixon definitely fits what the Steelers need from their QB better than Leftwich. Leftwich has concrete shoes and in an offense with a shaky O-line that has given up a lot of sacks the past few seasons, his play style may ultimately prove counterproductive by early in the season. I would not be surprised at all to see Dixon get a start before week 4.

QB is just one of the question marks for the Steelers this year-the O-line, defense, WR (replacing Holmes' talent will be hard, and Wallace will face double teams all year) and special teams (particularly kick and punt return coverage) are big question marks. Given that they are the 2nd oldest team in the league (@ 27 years old on average), some guys may not come back from injury as well as younger guys. I am seeing too many questions and not enough answers for the Steelers to make the playoffs this year. I predict that the Dixon/Leftwich combo (Dixon will get playing time during the first 4 weeks) will get the Steelers to 2-2, and I think they finish this year at 7-9 or 8-8. They will be 2nd or 3rd in the AFC North, at best.

Leftwich also played great during the latest SB run when he replaced Ben in both the Redskins game and the last Browns game. and I think that is what will make him the starter. Tomlin trusts him and think he will have the best chance off winning during the first four games(noway Ben is out six games).

Personally I would rather like to see Dixon since this will most likely be a lost season anyway and if Ben had been let go during the offseason Dixon would definately be getting his shot but its just not his time right now. Too bad.

Dixon takes the helm for 4 games

Looks like Leftwich suffered an MCL sprain (or something) so will probably miss 4-6 weeks. So we will see Dixon lead the Steelers after all. Obviously, no one wanted Leftwich or any other player to suffer such an injury. I own WR Mike Wallace in one of my fantasy leagues-I have to wonder what will happen to his production at this point. Hopefully Dixon will rise to the challenge. I believe that Dixon is capable of being a decent QB, if not better than decent.

You do have to question why Tomlin was playing any starters in the 4th preseason game-the Panthers played none of their starters against the Steelers.

Pushed for Dixon early on in the offseason and looking forward to him getting a shot once we lace em up for real on sundays. Sort of have a feeling deep in my gut however, that tells me the Steelers will start Charlie Batch. There is this sense that the team wants a veteran presence leading the offense during the first month, and Batch hasn't done anything negative on the field that makes me think the team wouldn't keep their " veteran gives us a better chance to win" mentality. Dixon does have a lot of upside and I'm trying not to panic too much over the interceptions in Denver.

This could be the first season in recent memory that the Steelers keep 4 QB's on the roster due to the circumstances. Although I'm excited to see Dixon play, I'll have no problem with Batch at the helm if that is the route the coaches choose to go while Leftwich is injured.
    Just call me Ott.

Dixon didn't look good against the Broncos. I think they'll start Batch.