Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National Signing Day

Blog Entries
    One other question, a NLI is in this article HERE

My question is are these offers given by the school and then accepted by the student on NLI day and beyond, i.e. has the school sent out X number of these offers?

If so, then the answer is simple. Only allow the NCAA maximum of OFFERS, not executed signings.

The schools have a tight control on OFFERS do they not?

But all the student / school rescission rules need to be changed by the above.

Blog Entries
    This is my underlying problem with the NCAA.

What is the penalty to the student for rescinding his NLI?

Loss of scholarship for 1 year.
    Loss of eligibility of 1 year.

What is the penalty to the school for rescinding the NLI?

Nothing.

That theme is shot thru and thru the NCAA.

Blog Entries
    Mike hit on the SEC and their history of oversigning, then releasing kids from their scholarship. They did {tighten up} the rules this past year, but I think we've hit on their little loophole. And this may strictly be a hypothesis, but many SEC schools (and there are others as well) will slack on their academic admission requirements when it comes to football. Then, for the kids to whom it doesn't work out on the field, they can easily release them from their scholarship citing academic issues.

Ohio State is already hearing negative vibes from around the Big Ten about Urban Meyer's first recruiting class, where it appears he's taken the same over-signing approach that he took at Florida (I believe he signed 25 kids this year). It will be interesting to see if he adjusts to the Big Ten's stricter recommendations, or if he continues this practice, how the Big Ten will respond.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    I hope Urban forces the issue. The B1G issues RULES it shouldn't issue recommendations. I hate unwritten rules. Get a pen and write it down. Let's see if everyone agrees on it.

Blog Entries
    Here are B1G RULES:

The Big Ten has no issue with oversigning because it banned the practice in 1956. The conference actually loosened its rule in 2002 to allow schools to oversign by three players, but even that rule is drastically different from the NCAA rule now in effect. According to Big Ten associate commissioner Chad Hawley, schools are allowed three over the 85-man limit, not the annual 25-man limit. If, for example, Michigan ends a season with 20 open scholarship spots, then Michigan may sign 23 players. No more.

If a Big Ten program chooses to oversign, Hawley said, it then must document exactly how it came under the 85-scholarship limit. That way, coaches are less likely to cut a player who has done nothing wrong other than fail to live up to his recruiting hype. "If you've oversigned, you're going to have to report back to the conference," Hawley said. "Come the fall, you're going to have to explain how you came into compliance."

When we approved limited oversigning in 2002, part of the deal was that institutions that did oversign would need to provide "sunshine" to allow for peer review. This reporting includes identifying the individuals who received the offers that created the oversigned situation. In addition, institutions that actually oversign would need to provide a person-by-person accounting for how the institution comes into compliance with the NCAA limit of 85; this includes reporting on not only the new signees, but also the status of each student-athlete who received countable aid in the previous academic year.
    So the B1G allows 3 oversigns on the 85 total limit, none on the 25 per year. Aint no sunshine unless you publish the report on the net.

Opposing coaches who use the same agent ain't no sunshine, Sunshine.
    Last edited by darvon; 02-03-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    I wonder how many kids fall off the gravy train?

Any links to how many kids get signed that don't get a ride for 5 years or graduation?

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    I wonder how many kids fall off the gravy train?

Any links to how many kids get signed that don't get a ride for 5 years or graduation?

If you're talking about college football in general, I think the number is pretty substantial. Generally speaking, a player only gets a 1-year scholarship, I believe. Some Big 10 schools this year announced they'll offer a full 4-year ride, but that's not the common practice.

I think if you look at Nick Saban, his churn is pretty high. I understand he's not a nice guy when it comes to ridding himself of the weakest performers.

Blog Entries
    I would love to see the D1 average and then some team numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    If you're talking about college football in general, I think the number is pretty substantial. Generally speaking, a player only gets a 1-year scholarship, I believe. Some Big 10 schools this year announced they'll offer a full 4-year ride, but that's not the common practice.

I think if you look at Nick Saban, his churn is pretty high. I understand he's not a nice guy when it comes to ridding himself of the weakest performers.
    You are correct. A scholarship is a one year offer, that can be renewed as the school sees fit. I've seen guaranteed 4 yr rides offered in other sports, but never in football. Too much churn bc of injuries, and so many moving parts (85+ players). It's a one sided arrangement, but one necessary to put the product on the field the viewing populace and the boosters pay to see.

I can't see how a school could give 4 yr rides guaranteed, that count vs the cap of 85 in perpetuity, and still put a good product on the field. I can live with only giving the guy a yr, and if he can't play parting ways. If they do so, the player should have no wait time to play at another school. I have an issue with a school that yanks the scholarship before he's even been there a year, and then the guy has to sit for a year to regain eligibility. The system is sooooo crooked.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

I didn't realize scholarships were one way and the schools have such freedom in yanking scholarships. I generally believe that players shouldn't get paid, but frankly the more I hear about how scholarships are handled and that its a one-way thing, the less objection I have to the players being paid. The system needs to be reformed.