Thread: The B1G Playoff Plan

Blog Entries

The B1G Playoff Plan

Article HERE

A December-based home field 4 team playoff system.

Then the two winners play in a by-bid designated spot (think Jerry's World).

WOOT!!!!

USC has to play in SNOW!!!!!

Cool.

While I guess this would be an improvement, I think it would still be disappointing for college football.

at the very least I'd like to see a new BCS Bowl added, in say Indianapolis.

Sounds good to me.

And I hope Jim Delany's worst fear comes true: that a 4-team playoff is just a foot in the door.

A columnist for CBS Sports.com is trying to claim that the Big 10's playoff idea will hurt the SEC because it will force SEC teams to play in a cold, bad weather stadium. (Right now, they virtually never do.)

To which I say: hogwash.

Maybe Arkansas, a throwing team. But Alabama and LSU don't play a pretty brand of football. I doubt very much that cold weather would make them hit less hard or run more softly.

cry me a river.

The Big 10 has been playing BCS games that are basically home games for opponents forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    cry me a river.

The Big 10 has been playing BCS games that are basically home games for opponents forever.
    And thus part of the problem of the BCS system. It evolved from the bowl system which are mostly played in warm weather sites. The original bowl thought is that fans don't really want to travel to cold weather site to watch their team play in bowls in games that don't mean a lot.

I think money might cause some change here. The NCAA tournament used to be done in smaller arenas. Nowadays, the final four and even the sweet sixteen are done in sites that hold a lot of people. If a playoff system ever happens I can see a scenario where they might have games in neutral sites, but the neutral sites are more region appropriate and possibly doing it in NFL stadiums. But I don't see a playoff system happening in the near future or even far future, until the powers that be recognizing that tradition is holding them back. And its tough to get rid of tradition.

I like the idea of having home teams in the playoff. It's hard to get tens of thousands of fans to travel for two weeks in a row. Basketball makes it work because it takes fewer people to fill their arenas... and frankly, they usually don't in the early rounds.

But acres of empty seats at a football stadium hurts the TV product. So having home teams makes sense.

Blog Entries
    I just heard something else about playoffs. The CUSA / MW merger is targeting 24 teams down the line and a two tier CONFERENCE Championship. It would make pretty good tv for some markets. It also requires an NCAA rule change.

It will be also interesting for the B1G plan, 2 tier championship, when the games will be played? Starting the week after the Conf Championship? 2 weeks after? If you do it 3 weeks after, when is the Champ game? Jan 9 is waay too late.

And Larry Scott hasn't been heard from yet...