Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: What TV shows are can't miss for you (2012 Edition)?

What TV shows are can't miss for you (2012 Edition)?

Let's face it. The offseason is upon us. We have March Madness coming up. And the Combine/Free Agency/Draft troika in the NFL. But, I dunno about you guys, I watch a lot more non-sports TV this time of year than during football season.

What's your pleasure this year?
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I have become hooked on the syndicated Big Bang Theory. I record 'em and zip through the breaks. Funny, smart show.

I am testing a new comedy called Key and Peele on Comedy Central. Skits show by two guys who are both 1/2 black and 1/2 white. First one was pretty darn good so I'm taping the series until they displease me.

I watch Conan frequently, Colbert infrequently, Ferguson somewhere in between.

Mostly, I DVR movies. Lots and lots of movies. I no longer feel guilty about deleting a movie after 10 minutes. No room for sentiment when your hard drive's always hovering 90% full.

Blog Entries
    I also watch Big Bang Theory. I've been with it since the start. Modern Family is another good sitcom. I confess to being a Survivor watcher. The Walking Dead is getting ready to start back up too. I'm watching The River. It just started yesterday.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

I tend to tune in to the later dramas on the networks. Person of Interest is solid. I also like Criminal Minds (been watching since the start). Castle for the sheer joy of ogling Stana Katic.

Thinking about finally watching Lost on Netflix.

Maybe Breaking Bad and Mad Men as well. When AMC started up with those shows, my fromer TV provider did not offer that network in HD. I'm snobby about my HD. So I never started up with them. The pickings are so slim this year, it may be time to remedy that.

I steer clear of those dramas. Too close to soap opera for my taste. For example, I religiously watched Six Feet Under when it started. But eventually it went down the road they all go down -- a weekly search for stories to tell. The material became weaker. And became all about following the characters every week. And that's soap opera, which I don't care for. 'Course, you make the argument that movies aren't much different.

Blog Entries
    I watch Big Bang as well. My wife enjoys How I Met Your Mother, which I slightly more than tolerate. Also, since The Office jumped the shark, I've really gotten into Parks and Rec.

I miss 24, that always held me over this time of year. Curb is another show that should be on right now but isn't. I want to find a new drama, but haven't. I've never gotten into Mad Men or Breaking Bad, or any of the TNT dramas that seem to work decently.

May I suggest checking out "The League", if you haven't already seen it? Fantasy football is the backdrop, but it is hilarious. The creators worked on late Seinfeld seasons, and have worked on Curb, so they use the same premise of allowing the actors to follow an outline, and improvise most of the script. The show is incredible.

I will also admit that my music dorkdom has taken over a bit. Used to be into Idol, but not for a few years. Plus, I'm too critical and it always felt like work. But, I'm intrigued by The Voice. I like how they do it. I may get sick of it once the opening auditions are finished, but for now, I'm rather hooked on it.

I'd like to see someone take advantage of this reality music craze, and reintroduce America to its most original and truest art form, jazz. It really is a fascinating and wide-ranging genre of music. But this isn't the thread for speculative shows that would appeal to roughly 13 people nationwide.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Southland, Tuesdays @ 10 PM. Solid if you like a good, gritty cop drama.

Blog Entries
    Southland is good.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Love southland! May I also suggest white collar. It's about a high level white collar thief, who's been released from prison conditionally to work as a consultant for the FBI. He reports directly to the agent that caught him. Comes on USA network at 10, not sure of the night. I'm a slave to the dvr.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Ron Perlman's in a highly regarded drama about bikers. I like him so I tried to watch it. I gave up. Not that I didn't like it, really. But I just couldn't make out what they were saying. Just couldn't understand the mumbled lines. Happens a lot in movies, too.