Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward- steeler for life?

Hines Ward- steeler for life?

The past few days there have been several "leaks" about wards impending doom. He's reportedly targeted to be cut. This is totally ridiculous on many levels. First of all if the steelers are going to part ways with hines, he needs to be told FIRST! no leaks of said event. He deserves that. Many other steeler all time greats were cut, and went to play for different teams. However ALL of them knew about it before they read it on a Twitter feed.

Second the level of hack reporting needs to be assessed too. La canafora also reported 2 years ago we would trade or cut Casey Hampton. Perhaps his "sources" are set on clocks 2 years too early. Is it true or is it fodder? I have no idea because la canafora is wrong at least as many times as he is correct.

Third, I'm highly disappointed at the public spectacles ARII has transgressed this offseason. I agree firing Arians was necessary, but to call it a retirement, and to do so without putting the hc in lock step is not the steeler way. Then we had the oc hiring process. Now we have this "leak" about ward.

From a physical standpoint, ward should be cut. He had his least productive year as a pro, now he's a yr older, and he's at best a #4 wr on this team. #4 and #5 wrs need to be special teams beasts. I don't know if ward can do that. I don't think he can. He's not worth a roster spot.

From an intangibles standpoint he earns this roster spot no doubt. He's the main guy responsible for making these young receivers as good as they are. He's been a stand up guy, and passed on the steeler way. From this standpoint I want him back because they're still young and need the mentor, but they could hire him as a coach at the same money and less cap hit, but wait that's not true.

That is what will fuel the business decision that is ultimately made. The skinny of the situation is this. He's scheduled for a $4 mil salary. He's said he would take $2 mil instead to stay a steeler. He won't get either. If he stays its at the 10+ yr veteran minimum that puts his cap hit about 300k over what his cap hit is due to bonus acceleration on the unamortized portion of his signing bonus. For 300k we keep ward and burn the roster spot. Otherwise I feel he's gone. Remember the rook minimum is only slightly more for a guy who will be able to contribute on special teams. Tricky path for colbert and ARII to walk.

Regardless the situation, ward deserved better than this. All these decisions should be behind closed doors, no leaks. Here's an article from one of the pgh papers to that vein.

http://m.triblive.com/triblive/pm_18...tguid=IhCoaIf7

I honestly don't know what's going to happen at this point. I think ward will resign for the vet minimum to remain a steeler. I don't think he wants one terrible year playing for another team for a very little more money. He's going to make a ton as a tv guy. It can't be about money at this point for him. I think his drive to keep his steelers legacy intact will color the decisions on both sides, given the cap hit if he's cut.

That's my thoughts on the matter what does everyone else think?
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 02-13-2012 at 01:22 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Hines Ward is going to be cut, and he's not going to find a job anywhere else. That's my prediction.

I also think that Pittsburgh is just another NFL team. It's a business, and things like this happens. The myth around the 'Steeler way' is exactly that: a myth.
    Editor of Bucs Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    Hines Ward is going to be cut, and he's not going to find a job anywhere else. That's my prediction.

I also think that Pittsburgh is just another NFL team. It's a business, and things like this happens. The myth around the 'Steeler way' is exactly that: a myth.
    x2. I think ward retires a steeler, this spring.

Blog Entries
    Ward will be released, no doubt. I can't see him latching onto another team unless it's with someone he's worked with in the past. Someone like Arians, Whisenhunt, or Mularky. In the end, I do think he comes back for the vet minimum, and finishes one final year. The intangibles are very true, and the biggest reason to hope that this happens. However, if he comes back, it makes it less likely that a more productive player on the field like Jerricho Cotchery is resigned. If it's between the two, I'd take Cotchery, but if there's a way to keep Ward without negatively impacting the top 4 at WR, I say go ahead and make it work, even if it means there's a 5th WR who can't fulfill the usually expected ST duties.

I have no problem with fans referring to historical teams like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, the Giants, or even a team with the stability the Patriots have as referring to something as "the ______ way". It's reflective of ownership and stability. In many cases, it's a good thing. In some, it's not necessarily so good (any Bidwell or Mike Brown fans out there?) But it's a perfectly acceptable point to bring up.

But I think that Rooney's stance could be speaking to something. I wonder if in some way he feels that Roethlisberger or even Tomlin are putting themselves ahead of the organization? If that's the case, then him finding a way to put them back in their place isn't surprising, even if it's ego driven. The risk, of course, is that it backfires and they get out of dodge as soon as possible, but it's a risk he's willing to take, I'm sure. And worst case, as much as the fans would hate the loss of either, the Rooney's have the confidence that if a change ultimately is needed, they'll find the right replacement.

Yes, it's an ego thing. I wish it didn't happen, but at the same time, if they feel it was necessary, then who am I to argue? Their ego is partly what's brought on the consistent level of success this organization has maintained for the last 40+ years.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

One of the reasons that the Steelers have been so successful in the free agency era is that they've been very good at getting rid of players at the right time. No emotion, no sentiment, it's all about putting the best players on the field every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    One of the reasons that the Steelers have been so successful in the free agency era is that they've been very good at getting rid of players at the right time. No emotion, no sentiment, it's all about putting the best players on the field every year.
    That seems to be the smart way to do things. GB, NE, PITT, NYG, etc...all the successful teams live by this.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

7. There is no question that the teams that have eliminated emotion and loyalty and have based player evaluation decisions on present day performance potential and return on investment from a pure business standpoint have been most successful in the free agency era.

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post

It's not a myth, 40 years of data prove that. It may be a business, but until lately we have treated it like a family affair, giving the utmost deference to our greats, out of respect. Ward is a steelers alltime great . The best receiver to ever don the black and gold. He doesn't deserve this circus about being cut, before we've told him that's what's going to happen. Give him the 1st opportunity to do what's best for him in his mind. But the predicate factor is him knowing first.

I think eventhough he would be a moderate cap hit more if he signs for the vet minimum than the unamortized bonus acceleration hit, we still cut him to save the roster spot. He isn't worthy of it given his ability to contribute. Other teams will see the same game film we saw and deduce he isn't either. His only hope for another year is latching onto a team with a super young wr core, who can benefit from his mentoring.

He most likely does go unsigned, as others have said. If he doesn't and locker room cancers like to, and moss do go unsigned it tells us a ton about what coaches value from #3 or lower older guys...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lapham View Post
    There is no question that the teams that have eliminated emotion and loyalty and have based player evaluation decisions on present day performance potential and return on investment from a pure business standpoint have been most successful in the free agency era.
    That's very true. I'm glad my team has been one of the ones that does. My question had 2 parts, should he be released? Which I've gotten many others opinions. Thanks for those guys. Second, how disrespectful was this melee of wards stature within this organization?

It's ok to fire someone, but its not ok to leak to everyone else he's fired first before you tell him. Especially an all timer.. add that to the oc firing hiring debacle. This isn't how the steelers conduct business. Social media excuses don't cut it for me. 2 yrs ago we had Twitter and Facebook, and Dan rooney didn't have these issues. Seems to me chairman emeritus Dan needs to give his son a spanking and remind him of the ways of the organization. It seems ARII isn't as much a chip off his dads block as was Dan to the chief. Too much lawyer, and not enough down home football guy.

Blog Entries
    I think the one other place that makes sense that has a young receiving corps, and a young qb that could all benefit from his leadership is Jacksonville. With Mike Mularkey there, having a history with him would only help matters. He'd keep some semblance of familiarity.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley