Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hines Ward- steeler for life?

It was reported today, by a guy who is rarely wrong about all things steelers that ward would be back for this year.

I don't know how I feel about this... Especially with the Wallace situation in purgatory currently. Although colbert did say Wallace was going to be a steeler for a very long time today. He also said Hampton would be back. I don't know if colbert is playing all the angles, but there's almost no way we can make all those things happen concurrently.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    Of those 3, I actually think I'd be most ok with Hampton walking. I just can't see him becoming anything more than a shell of his former self at this point, and he's the biggest reason the run defense went from dominant to average. A young guy with fresh legs to clog the middle has to be a better option at this point.

If Hines goes, I certainly get it, but if they can keep him, I can't look at it as a bad thing. But I do hope that if it somehow comes down to a choice between Ward or Cotchery, they go with Cotch. Especially if they end up losing Wallace, Cotch would be a very important guy to resign.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Well its official. Hines ward is no longer a steeler. It's a sad day in steeler country. There were 3yrs he was my favorite player on the team. I wish him luck in his future endeavors, and just hope they don't involve still playing because he can't. He insists he wants to play another year. I hope he doesn't, either by choice or from no team signing him. Let him go gracefully as the best receiver to ever play for one of the marquee franchises in the NFL. No one year debacle like befelled Franco Harris.

Hines- please walk away gracefully, and let us celebrate your career at the home opener this year. No need to prove anybody wrong anymore, you've done that your whole career.

I'm really going to miss the infectious smile. Him cheesing ear to ear running into the end zone in sb 40 is burned into my brain. Thanks for the memories hines!!
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    Here here

-Marion Motley

man, wasn't even asked to take a pay cut, they just cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    It was reported today, by a guy who is rarely wrong about all things steelers that ward would be back for this year.

I don't know how I feel about this... {snipped}
    You ought to feel like this guy has an opinion, just like everyone else. Hope he's not your doc or anything.

That said - sad day in Steeler nation, yes. I always liked Ward. Can't see him playing anywhere else.
    Some people think the name of the Washington Redskins football team is offensive. There’s an easy way to fix that. You can just drop the word ‘Washington.’ ~ Ted Cruz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    man, wasn't even asked to take a pay cut, they just cut him.
    For someone who will end up as a 4th or 5th receiver at best with no ST to add to the equation, even if he agreed to the vet minimum, it would still be a fairly hefty salary for a guy of his declining skill set.

My biggest hope is that somehow they'd both agree to bring him in with some role on the coaching staff, then he's there in case of emergency. I believe Batch did this a few years ago when he had a few week injury, and they needed to keep 4 guys. With Ward, his influence would translate excellently into a role of position coach. He's been essentially filling that role anyway for the last decade.

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    You ought to feel like this guy has an opinion, just like everyone else. Hope he's not your doc or anything.

That said - sad day in Steeler nation, yes. I always liked Ward. Can't see him playing anywhere else.
    Ed bouchette was definitely wrong here. His quote of saying coaches said hines would be back threw me off. Seems tomlin was firmly entrenched as to cutting ward. The general sentiment among everyone else was he would be back. I'd link the article, but its a membership only portion of the post gazette.

Now it looks like hines was only the beginning of the cuts. Looks like Aaron smith and Chris kemoeautu are going to be released with farrior on deck. The youth movement in Pittsburgh is in full effect. I have to say I agree with every single transaction. Lately we've held onto the past too hard, and last year it caught up to us. It was the most injury plagued year we've had in over 2 decades.

Apparently contract talks between the steelers and cotchery have made some headway. I'd like to see him back. We've gone from $25 mil over the cap to $10 mil under in 2 weeks. I expect Wallace to get an rfa tag now, and to sign a long term deal before the season starts. Similar to Woodley last year..

Sad to see him go...one of the greats!
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010