Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mike Wallace scenario

Blog Entries

Interesting Mike Wallace scenario

I found this deeply interesting. I know the Bengals wouldn't have the balls to pull it off, but it'd be a smart move for them, or even the Browns, who need a WR.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Ummm what's the scenario? U didn't post a link. Lemme freelance for a minute...A poison pill in the rfa offer sheet? someone surrenders a 1st rounder as a result?

2 sides to that coin. First, we would let him walk and take the 1st round pick. We wouldn't have a choice, were up to the cap, and still cutting to get under. Second, I love Wallace, but he disappeared the 2nd half of the season with the emergence of brown. Defenses doubled him, for sure to cause that, but he hasn't developed as a route runner. Like tomlin said, hes a one trick pony. Jam him at the line and take the top off with a safety.

I'd be disappointed if he left, but gain much solace with the extra 1st rounder we got in return. Very few teams are better at picking studs in the 1st, than we are. I have faith in colbert and the scouting staff.

The true question is this: does any team think he's worth giving up a 1st round pick and a top market deal? He's said he would give the steelers a hometown discount to stay. He won't to leave. Is he worth a $9 mil per year deal to create opportunities for others? Most that are do that and still get theirs. Wallace didn't the second half. Teams schemed around him. Even short drops, he didn't create much to garner that type of contract. I predict a 4yr $28 mil contract with lots of escalators, and he stays put. BTW I think that contract offer happens after this season under his rfa tag, when no one signs him to an offer sheet, willing to part with a 1st round pick.
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 02-18-2012 at 03:45 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Poison pills can't happen anymore under the new CBA. I assume he's referring to Adam Schefter's scenario of giving Mike Wallace an offer sheet with a massive roster bonus this year, because that supposedly doesn't pro-rate (I'm not exactly sure about that, actually).

But it's trivial to fix that for the Steelers: use the franchise tag. Boom. Problem solved.

I disagree that Mike Wallace isn't worth a first-round pick or a massive contract, by the way. Teams pay a premium for a deep threat, as they're very hard to find. Wallace doesn't need to be a complete player to get a big payday. And quite frankly, he's the most well-rounded deep threat in the NFL anyway.
    Last edited by Sander; 02-18-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Editor of Bucs Nation

I know ESPN is pushing it (Bengals getting Wallace), but I'm torn on the issue. It'd be great as far as getting a very good #2 WR and hurting a divisional opponent, but at the same time I don't really want to get the steelers an extra first round pick. Not even to mention the money to sign Wallace.

It wouldn't be the worst move in the world if they got wallace, but personally I'd rather use the first round pick on Kendall Wright, who I think is a better route runner and better over the middle than wallace. And then watch another team steal wallace away.

Blog Entries
    Why get another speed guy? Get wes welker.

I don't think deep guys are hard to find. They are just fast and tallish. What they ARE is perishable. Speed wilts. You want YOUNG ones. Go get the fastest guy at the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    Why get another speed guy? Get wes welker.

I don't think deep guys are hard to find. They are just fast and tallish. What they ARE is perishable. Speed wilts. You want YOUNG ones. Go get the fastest guy at the combine.
    Just being fast isn't good enough. Ted Ginn is fast. So is Darrius Heyward-Bey.
    Editor of Bucs Nation

Blog Entries
    And we ALL saw this season that "Ted Ginn is the Key".

Seriously, if you had a DHB-clone for your 2nd receiver and a crafty middle guy or another Power Forward TE, then woouldn't that work????

Blog Entries
    But Mike Wallace is different than the typical speed receiver in that deep threats usually don't have a catch rate around 60%. It's allowed him to rate very highly in yards per target, finishing top 10 in 2009, leading the league in 2010, and dominating through the first half of 2011 until he dropped off significantly through the 2nd half of the season.

My opinion is that Wallace dropped off in part to his route running, but also in part to the offensive play calling (here we go again). I have no facts to back this up, it's merely an observation.

I think the threat of Wallace made Brown better. Brown is more polished, but Wallace is the better of the two, and while my opinion is becoming more of a minority than I expected, I think Wallace is, and will continue to be, their best wide receiver. If the Steelers do not franchise him, and he becomes a RFA, I would absolutely try to sign him away. The two teams that make sense are NE and Cincy, with multiple 1st rounders at their disposal. Cleveland also does, but it would cost them their #4 overall. For Cincy, it would be the #21, and for NE, the #31. Pairing Wallace with AJ Green would be scary, but imagine NE franchising Welker and adding Wallace to the mix already including Gronk and Hernandez. I don't see that happening, I'm sure the cap issues wouldn't be conducive, but thought I'd at least mention it.

My guess is the Steelers find a way to get a multi-year deal done. I see no indication that they don't want him, and that he doesn't want to stay. With that combination working in their favor, I think the odds are in their favor that Wallace remains a Steeler.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Sorry guys. Forgot to post the link and don't have it now but Sander is correct. I was referring to what Adam Schefter said. I'll post the link shortly.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Blog Entries