Thread: NBA Slam-Dunk trends Lame-O and SVP has the FIX

Blog Entries

NBA Slam-Dunk trends Lame-O and SVP has the FIX

The NBA SlamDunk contest is fading. The stars don't want to play.

SVP today came up with a great idea. An American Idol style National Dunkoff. (sponsored by Dunkin' Donuts???)

You hold contests in LA, Chicago, NYC, Atl, etc and get AMATEURS to come to the Dunkoffs, bring the regional winners to Las Vegas and let the stars watch from the stands.

You will get some outstanding efforts for a 15 second slice of national fame. And the Regionals make MORE TV PRODUCT.
    Last edited by darvon; 02-18-2012 at 11:08 AM.

I've never understood the appeal of the dunk contest. There are only so many ways to jump and throw a ball into a hole. I much prefer a long-range shooting competition.

But heck, I rarely watch any all-star activity in any sport. Although I did once go to the all star game in DC. Kinda boring, really.

Who is SVP? Regarding his idea, it would be a nice sideshow. I'm not sure it could displace a pro dunk contest. Don't people watch these things to see the pros, who are presumably the best of the best?

Blog Entries
    my only issue is that I think the NBA will still try and market it too much. Last year really was the last straw for most people, obviously forcing Blake to dunk over a car...It's not that I disagree with the regional amateur thing, but I think promotions like And 1 have kinda soaked that up...I like where his heads at, but idk if that will help, especially because then I think they wouldn't air it in primetime. Just have Jeremy Lin dunk, that's apparently what everyone wants to see anyways lol
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Blog Entries
    I think the NBA AllStar Weekend can yank the spotlight away from And1.

Plus the AllStar game is much more accessable to casuals than And1. I have never seen And1, but I know it exists somewhere. I have seen NBA SDCs.

SVP is Scott Van Pelt.

They do watch them to see both the pros and amazing things. The pros have stopped competing. It's time to "American Idol" this.