Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who's the most athletic player by position?

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    You have to look at size too. How much bigger is PP than Revis and he still put up a faster 40 time and better broad jump. Revis is the better player no doubt, but Peterson is a better Athlete.
    And the smaller guy is stronger and can jump as high. Plus his skills translate better to the position were discussing. No db ever will perform a broad jump on the field. But the smaller guy can jump as high and is stronger. Means he lost nothing to meet the ball at the apex, and he jammed the receiver better. Plus he closes better, game speed trumps .04 stop watch speed in shorts..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    If you think Revis is a better athlete then whatever. I'm not really up to a "debate" as you call it. Your definition of athleticism isn't like any I have ever heard so I got no place in this "debate".

Blog Entries
    I gotta disagree. PP is more athletic.

Athletic to me is when the person is too big and strong to be that fast or too fast to be that big and strong.

Blog Entries
    This is exactly what I am saying.

This is exactly what I am saying.
    And that's exactly what I said. I'm not trying to be right. Just trying to illustrate my view. There's no way to quantify what were discussing, just opinions. I think Peterson is a physical beast. I just think revis is better. It's a debate of Peterson is too big to do that and revis is too small to do that. Both are superb athletes, neither is a bad choice. Just showing what I feel doesn't make me foolish, as some have suggested. There's no way to prove either, but lots of evidence as to why they're comparable. It's a debatable point, not a run away nomination for Peterson..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    But I don't see it as debatable, because your definition of athletic takes into account things I don't see that mean athletic. Are we debating your definition of athletic or others? And what did you exactly say? He said PP was more athletic and stated a different term for athletic than you did. I'm not sure what you are saying that you are agreeing with.

But I don't see it as debatable, because your definition of athletic takes into account things I don't see that mean athletic. Are we debating your definition of athletic or others? And what did you exactly say? He said PP was more athletic and stated a different term for athletic than you did. I'm not sure what you are saying that you are agreeing with.
    The way a guy closes with speed isn't athletic? The way a guy goes non stop for 60 minutes isn't athletic? Tell me how that's off base and doesn't show a guy is athletic. My definition of athletic isn't a combine freak solely, using those skills count. Your differing opinion was based on stats sans game play. I showed pre draft stats to be pretty much a wash, with no differing opinion to the game play of either. Matter of fact no one has said a word about how Peterson uses his freakish skills to play the game.. I know there's no correct answer here, its all opinion. Just don't say I'm way off base in my opinion, when the facts show otherwise..
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 02-28-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    There are diffeent measureables in Athletic, IMHO:

- Pure Speed
    - Pure Strength
    - Quickness
    - Balance

All these factors are relative to weight and height.

PP: is 185 cm and 99 kg
    DR: is 180 cm and 90 kg

So PP is 3% taller and 10% heavier than DR, but they have similar measurebles. In my book, that makes Petersen more of a freak.

Personally I think Revis has better balance, which allows him to shadow WRs closer, but that is something very hard to measure. Also, he has 4 years in the league to PPs 1. Petersen needs to work on his coverage, because like DRC, he relies too much on raw athleticism but hasn't developed the discipline and reps to compare others accurately.

There is no question that Suh is one athletic freak. It doesn't make him the best 3-tech NT in the league, because he still hasn't developed all the reads and can be taken advantage of because of his over pursuit. But he is the physical freak of all freaks.

Allen is a freak, and a younger freak than Peppers. But Pep plays run and pass, every down, and his sole presence made Urlacher and Briggs into pro-bowlersw again.

Bears ANYA
    2008: 5.1 ANYA
    2009: 6.0 ANYA (Urlacher was out all year)
    2010: 4.7 ANYA

I've seen Peppers track down Vick from the backside of plays. He is a freak.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte