Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dontari Poe--FREAK

Dontari Poe--FREAK

Wow was this guy unbelievable at the combine. 44 reps on the bench and a 4.87 40 for a 346 pound man. That should be illegal. I hate to get so caught up in the workout numbers, but even if he doesn't pan out, those are crazy numbers.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

crazy numbers, but not a lot of production. He's very raw. He's all potential, but very limited resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    crazy numbers, but not a lot of production. He's very raw. He's all potential, but very limited resume.
    Yeah, I've been hearing a lot of JPP comparisons...not physical ability but just a raw, insanely physical guy with little experience.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

That's my concern. If a guy with those kinds of numbers couldn't dominate in a weak Conference USA, why would anyone think he can be a stud in the NFL? He sounds like a combine monster, the kind of guy you want to avoid.

Huge warning signs.

Bruce Feldman:

I spoke to a veteran O-line coach who faced Poe several times during his college career. His take: "He's probably the best talent I've seen in several years. He took plays off and wasn't a great effort guy, but he is a freakish talent."

But don't all 320-plus pound D-linemen take some plays off?

"Yeah," said the coach, "but he took off more than most. He did get better last year than he was the year before. He just was never that productive, but I heard they didn't require him to do that much. He was definitely someone I took into account with schemes. ... I'm not at all surprised to hear that he's blowing up at the combine at all. He was never on the ground in college."

Haynesworth 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    That's my concern. If a guy with those kinds of numbers couldn't dominate in a weak Conference USA, why would anyone think he can be a stud in the NFL? He sounds like a combine monster, the kind of guy you want to avoid.
    don't get me wrong. He's extremely athletically gifted, he just has no technique and needs to be coached up. You watch the tape and its not like he's lazy, just no one's taught him how to use his athleticism to the max. He needs to be coached up. Much of his technique is a bull rush, and you can't bull rush double teams. If he can develop a good swim move and spin move, watch out.

On a similar note, I'm becoming a big Fletcher Cox fan. Probably a good example of what Poe would be had he had better coaching in college.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 02-27-2012 at 06:44 PM.

A rather lengthy 'highlight' tape, in which he never really makes a play:

I don't see him as a 3-4 NT, he's more of a 1-gapper than a 2-gapper. Can get penetration, certainly not the immovable object type. Looks like he doesn't have very good instincts. Didn't seem to draw many, if any, double teams. Looks like it's easy to use his weight and momentum against him to push him past the play or to the ground.

Late first or early second round pick. Having that kind of freakish athlete on the d-line has value even if he's not a particularly productive player, the o-line still has to account for him on every play.

On a similar note, I'm becoming a big Fletcher Cox fan. Probably a good example of what Poe would be had he had better coaching in college.
    Cox is clearly the better player of the two and not just because of coaching. He's also a high motor guy that plays to the whistle. I wouldn't necessarily agree that Poe doesn't look lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    A rather lengthy 'highlight' tape, in which he never really makes a play:

I don't see him as a 3-4 NT, he's more of a 1-gapper than a 2-gapper. Can get penetration, certainly not the immovable object type. Looks like he doesn't have very good instincts. Didn't seem to draw many, if any, double teams. Looks like it's easy to use his weight and momentum against him to push him past the play or to the ground.

Late first or early second round pick. Having that kind of freakish athlete on the d-line has value even if he's not a particularly productive player, the o-line still has to account for him on every play.
    yea I've seen that one twice now. You see the athleticism and you see that he's drawing double teams, but you can tell he doesn't exactly know what he's doing as a football player. Just trying to bullrush a double team, which isn't going to work.

He has all the physical tools IMO. Needs coaching and technique.