Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dontari Poe--FREAK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Out of curiosity, I google'd pre-draft reports on Jenkins. I went through 5 of them. Not one mentioned taking plays off. He was first-team ACC and his stats were pretty impressive. Is he really a fair comparison?
    Hmm. I could've sworn remembering reading one report that mentioned he took the occasional entire series off if he was too winded. Maybe Scouts Inc.? I'm not certain though, I could very easily have him mistaken for someone else.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    I get the concerns with Poe, but at #24, I think he'd be the perfect risk for Pittsburgh to take that DT spot from Hampton. He has the size and strength, and it will be the perfect situation to give him the good coaching and good motivation he needs. The not-every-play effort concerns me, but I'd be thrilled if they land him, risk fully understood.

To be fair, pre-combine, Mike and I have both been on board with this pick from the start. Doesn't make us right, just like our unanimity on Todd Haley, but I'd be disappointed if he goes prior to their selection.

Of course, I'm also a fan of Devon Still. Doubt he falls that far, but if so, I think he'd fit well playing DE in a 3-4. The problem is, I'm not sure how well Ziggy Hood would translate to the inside, which is what makes Poe the best fit in my opinion.
    Poe has been on my radar for weeks. Not from my own exposure to him, but based on what the inside nuggets have been about who our coaches are looking at. His measurables make me as comfortable as you are with the inherent risk of taking a raw player. We have one of the best and most experienced d line coaches in the league, john Mitchell, who's been the coach for almost 2 decades. If anyone can harness his raw ability, and work past those short arms, its him. I won't worry about him being lazy. During the season our d line guys can be accused of a lot, lazy isn't one of them.

I know Mitchell saw all these negatives, way before now and I still heard Poe's name. With the beastly performance he posted, I'm sure if Mitchell liked him before, he's licking his chops now. He heard the dinner bell...

As far as hood goes in the middle, I know he's strong enough. He's the strongest player on the team. But he's spent 2 yrs learning the technique at de. Bringing in still would necessitate 2 learning new techniques. Bringing in Poe would put 2 of the strongest men in the league side by side, with keisel on the other. Id be highly disappointed if we don't get Poe. If Mitchell loves him, we should make a deal if necessary to acquire him.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    I agree. Still is the backup plan if they somehow miss out, but Poe is the top option for Pittsburgh. Both options are better than what will likely be available with the O-Line in round 1.

And while I agree in theory on the motivation only comes from one place issue, there are certain teams that always seem to avoid those problems. Is effort an issue among new guys on the Ravens defense? They took a chance on Jimmy Smith last year (admittedly too early to tell on him). Steelers? I can see the same trends in SF, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others. Throw in the right mix of on-field leadership, and motivation and effort issues seem to dissipate.
    "So whose fault is it? It's all Trumpet's fault. Just because."

-Andy Freeland

4. Just saw Poe's combine numbers vs. those posted by Ngata during his combine. Poe outdid him across the board. His arms are very short...watching him rep 225# 44 reps.....they almost looked like half reps. He is stron, powerful and explosive though no doubt. Playing at Memphis you would think he would have dominated the line of scrimmage more than he did vs. the level of competition he played against with the athleticism he has. I'm not saying looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane....but something does not jive for me.

5. Poe's big adjustment in the NFL will be OL locking him up inside because he will have a tough time separating fom blocks due to the short arms. The interior OL are just as big and strong, and they grab cloth and pads inside the framework of the body and neutralize DTs. Happens every year to rookie DTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    I agree. Still is the backup plan if they somehow miss out, but Poe is the top option for Pittsburgh. Both options are better than what will likely be available with the O-Line in round 1.

And while I agree in theory on the motivation only comes from one place issue, there are certain teams that always seem to avoid those problems. Is effort an issue among new guys on the Ravens defense? They took a chance on Jimmy Smith last year (admittedly too early to tell on him). Steelers? I can see the same trends in SF, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others. Throw in the right mix of on-field leadership, and motivation and effort issues seem to dissipate.
    I agree, we won't go o line in the 1st. Colbert has alluded to it in speaking recently. He's said numerous times this draft is deep on the o line. He knows no one worthy of being #24 will be available. Were screaming best d lineman, or perhaps if one of the stud mike backers or cb's fall.

@Dave I agree. Poe will struggle to get off the blocks as a rook. He tape shows that he did in college. He definitely will vs grown men. This is why I think were going d line with the 1st pick, and keeping Hampton around. Time to give whatever lineman we pick to be his heir apparent time to figure stuff out.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.