Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most athletic player in the league- offense

Most athletic player in the league- offense

We did defense already, so let's tackle offense now.

Qb- umm give me vick. I'm sure I don't need to explain this pick. But if someone has a strong feeling about say, cam newton, that discussion might have legs.

Wr- MEGATRON! hands down.. I don't think there's a credible argument against him. Since the league usually lists 2 starters, we probably should too. So many choices.. does he have game speed, can he win jump balls, can he impose his will and box others out to make a catch, can he get off a jam and can he beat double teams. Could go fitz, a. Johnson, or Steve smith here.

Rb- mjd. His athleticism is what allows a guy that short to be so successful. Crazy powerful lower half, break away speed, ability to change directions fast and slip tackles. I know this pick may be debated heavily. Lots of super athletic guys at this position.

TE- this was perhaps the most difficult pick for me. Picking between gronk, graham, and Vernon Davis. Wow! Perhaps not a wrong answer as all 3 play a different game, and have different strengths. Gronk is the ultimate red zone target. He's a monster. He's perhaps the biggest mis match because of the blend of size and speed he has, although he's quite slower than the other 2. Graham is brees' security blanket and will never be outjumped for a ball. Davis is well documented as having had the best combine showing of any te, perhaps ever. And he's produced on the field, he was the receiving glue of that niners offense. Davis may have the best measurables, and I think once graham is a more accomplished route runner he will be the most athletic, but right now I think its gronk. A man that big shouldn't be able to do the things he does.

Tackle- Joe Thomas. Great kick step. Great leverage and decent strength. Always stays in front of his guy and directs him where he wants him. Quick feet. Jake long would be a good pick too, he's stronger at the point of attack than Thomas is, but I prefer Thomas.

Guard- yeah right! The only guard play I've paid attention to is our guys giving someone stunting an ole' into the backfield, or a holding penalty. I don't watch guards enough to know enough to make a pick. My half ass pick would be yanda. He manhandled our line this year.

Center- maurkice pouncey. Great feet, strong at the point, and pulls better than just about everyone.

Fb- is this still an legit NFL position?
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 03-02-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    RB: Petersen, speed + power + quickness.

WR2: Dez Bryant

G: whoever bench presses the most

C: that's a tough one. The position is so brain intensive, that success is less about pure raw ability and more about effort and saavy. Got to agrre on Pouncey probably.

TE: Gronk actually blocks, making him a real TE. The other 2 are mostly real big WRs

Cam is a freak, but it's hard to argue against Vick the athlete.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    RB: Petersen, speed + power + quickness.

WR2: Dez Bryant

G: whoever bench presses the most

C: that's a tough one. The position is so brain intensive, that success is less about pure raw ability and more about effort and saavy. Got to agrre on Pouncey probably.

TE: Gronk actually blocks, making him a real TE. The other 2 are mostly real big WRs

Cam is a freak, but it's hard to argue against Vick the athlete.
    I didn't even consider a. Peterson at Rb. He's got a super flat tire. He tore the acl and mcl. The two major ligaments in the knee. Until he shows he's the same guy again, we have to take things at face value. I know James Andrews is a miracle worker, but AD needs to be all day again, before he's considered. Just like cj.75k. Raw ability, but didn't show it on the field this year.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    Again, I disagree with your definition of athleticism. On field production has nothing to do with it. Taylor Mays is probably the most athletic safety in the league, but he sucks. Adrian Peterson is the most athletic RB, just hurt. You're arguing ability not athleticism.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

yea there seems to be some wish-washy-ness as far as athleticism vs production.

TE - I'd go davis, graham, or marcedes lewis. Not sure gronk would be in my top 5.

QB - I'm gonna give cam newton the nod over vick. Think you can go either way though.

Wr - a toughie. Megatron has amazing size and ability to win jump balls, but that doesn't necessarily make him the best athlete at the position (not trying to take anything away from him at all). Fitzgerald, Green, and Demaryius Thomas are all also beast athletically. Devin Hester and Djax probably belong in the conversation too.

RB - I think you'd have to look at guys like reggie bush, darren sprolles, ray rice, mjd and dexter mccluster. mccluster may be the best athlete but least accomplished.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    TE - I'd go davis, graham, or marcedes lewis. Not sure gronk would be in my top 5.
    we need a definition. It's not only about speed, but speed plus size. And Graham and Davis are very big wide receives that chip LBs when they release from the inside. Gronk actually can play Tight End. And his balance, speed and strength for his size are off the charts.

I've seen Petersen twice every year. The guy is a beast. he can flat out run, hit hard and cut. He is an athletic freak:

“Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

when I think athleticism I think flexibility, agility, and to an extent speed. Strength I see as a separate category.

Blog Entries
    Once again we need the offical FP dictionary
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    Again, I disagree with your definition of athleticism. On field production has nothing to do with it. Taylor Mays is probably the most athletic safety in the league, but he sucks. Adrian Peterson is the most athletic RB, just hurt. You're arguing ability not athleticism.
    That was my take, as well.

For receiver, Jerome Simpson has to be high on the list of most athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    My definition is largely based upon them being able to, you know, actually play football. Athleticism isn't just straight line speed, strength, etc.. athleticism is being able to blend it all together to play the game. Most athletic playing the game in pads, against another player. Not running in shorts vs air. IMHO too many equate athleticism to what they track at the combine, not what actually constitutes an athletic football player. Stop watches and how far or high someone jumps is great for track and field, not football. So many teams bust out on players every year when their grade jumps based on these measures and they reach to select them.

If I was arguing ability instead of athleticism, my list would be different. Again its my opinion, its not a scientific study that can be quantified in any way.