Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: "Bounty Pay" What Price Should Participants Pay?

Frankly I don't think any punishment that Goodell institutes is going to be too strict here. You need to hit Gregg Williams and Sean Payton hard here. Both knew about this and did nothing to stop it. I don't know if you can actually go after the players here, because its hard to know who was really involved here, but I'm sure the investigation can provide some information. Fining Benson, Loomis and taking away draft picks are fine. At least a #1 pick should be taken from 2013 and frankly take away their #2 pick from this year's draft.

The NFL is already seen as a violent league. There are ex-players suing the league because they didn't do enough to protect the health of the players. Goodell has to lay the hammer on New Orleans and make sure this doesn't happen ever again. So as I said, I don't think there is a punishment he can lay on the Saints that is going to be too strict here.

They say the cover-up is worse than the crime. I think that goes in spades here.

The bounty program was bad enough.

But every member of the National Football League has a duty to come clean in any league investigation. The proper running of the league depends upon it.

Therefore, failure to be honest with investigators is a paramount crime. You cannot lie to the league and escape severe punishment. So I think the stiffest penalties will go to anyone who was interviewed by the league, who knew about the bounty program, and who lied about it.

We know that Mickey Loomis is on that list. Can we assume that Greg Williams is too? His hasty mea culpa shows he's quivering in his boots. We don't know if they interviewed Sean Payton, but I can't see why they wouldn't have. He's the head coach, after all, and we know they talked to the owner. In addition, any active players who were questioned and who lied will also be in for it, by my reckoning.

Spygate cost the Patriots a 1st round draft choice and Bill Belichick $500,000. You have to believe that lying to the league and running a bounty program is going to be more painful.

The Saints could be feeling the effects of this one for a while.

The luster wore off the NFL for me last year so I won't bother commenting on this latest disappointment. Execute 'em all?

Kudos to Turk for writing about it though. Dude, you have been so missed.

Agreed that Spygate should be used as a baseline. We have a situation where a team lied to the league about something they were doing, plus continued in the face of an NFL warning. So I think at a minimum you are looking at hefty fines and a forefeiture of a 1st round pick.

I think you also have to take into account the climate of the NFL, where there is more attention being paid to player safety issues (or, if you are cynical, at least more lip service being paid to that point). Given that, I suspect that the NFL almost has to come down harder. I'd expect Gregg Williams to be suspended. A suspension for Mickey Loomis and / or Sean Payton also seems reasonable. And there will be fines for each of those individuals, plus the team.

I suspect that hobbes27 is right, though, in that it's pretty unlikely any punishment the NFL levies will be viewed as "too harsh" by fans. I think many fans wouldn't care about bounties for big (but legal) plays. If the NFL has evidence of intent to injure, though - and it seems they do - the league really can't even give a hint that such behavior will be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    The luster wore off the NFL for me last year
    Wha' happen?

Last edited by wxwax; 03-03-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Wha' happen?
    What? You mean you couldn't hear me in Atlanta griping during the lockout? I love football. The NFL, not so much anymore.
    “Everybody counts or nobody does.” – Detective Harry Bosch

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    What? You mean you couldn't hear me in Atlanta griping during the lockout? I love football. The NFL, not so much anymore.
    Ah, sorry, I missed most of that. I joined late during that game. Yeah, labor actions suck. I just shrug and move on.

Double the Spygate punishment plus Williams gets 8 games, Payton gets 4, Loomis gets a year off. You can't lie to the league, get nailed anyway, then continue to lie about your actions all the while continuing your practice of rule-breaking.

The stupidity & the cover-up are far worse than the crime, IMO.

Ifthe NFL has direct evidence linking specific players to acts intentional injury, they need to be taken to task as well. Not fined, either, suspended.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

The Saints don't have a first round pick this year. If you really want to send a message, nullify the franchise tag they just conveniently slapped on Brees today, and let Brees hit free agency this year. And take their first round pick next year.

I think Williams AND Loomis should be required to take a year off and Sean Payton for 4 games at a minimum.

The question is also what will happen in Washington,Buffalo,and Tennessee?.Heck, for that matter what will happen in St.Louis if Fischer is found with any past dealings/knowledge of this occurring?. If memory serves me,he did play for Buddy Ryans defense in Chicago, did he not?.Buddy had long been accussed of the same thing....
    Last edited by chris; 03-03-2012 at 11:54 PM.