Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Each Franchise' Most Hated Man

Each Franchise' Most Hated Man

This comment about Matt Millen...

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Screw that guy.
    ...got me thinking. I would say that Millen is to Lions' fans what Art Modell is to Browns' fans - a guy who could establish world peace and find a cure to male pattern baldness, yet would still be loathed by certain fan bases.

So, who is the guy who fans of your team will NEVER forgive for what he has done to your team?

For the Browns it can only be Modell - a guy who turned one of the greatest franchises in sports history into a mediocrity before ripping the heart out of a city by moving the team.

I mentioned a few months ago that Modell is - as far as I know - the only Owner in any sport that fired two Hall of Fame Coaches (Paul Brown and Bill Bellichick). On top of his greed and ego, he was also a terrible judge of talent.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

for the Bengals, obviously Mike Brown.

Talking players though, I'd give a vote for Boomer Esiason. Hasn't been all that well liked in the Cincinnati area for a good 10 years now.

Sadly, for the Redskins it's the owner, Lil' Danny Snyder.

MAYBE Brett Favre? It's so hard to forget the time he spent playing great in GB, but it's also hard to forget how things ended. McCarthy, Lombardi, and Holmgren all took us to titles, but our other coaches were never awful. Ahh...I can't do it to Brett. Charles Martin.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Honestly, for all the vitriol I've spilled here on the subject of Matt Millen, the most hated man in Lions' history is by far and away owner William Clay Ford, Sr. This is the man who purchased the team in 1957 and within one year ushered in "The Curse of Bobby Layne". This same man hired coaches like Monte Clark, Daryl Rogers, Rick Forzano, Tommy Hudspeth, and Harry Gilmer. He signed off on the team unretiring the great Joe Schmidt's fabled #57 to appease the bruised ego of one Pat Swilling when was traded to the Lions for the #2 overall pick in the 1993 NFL Draft. Mr. Ford's leadership (or astonishing lack thereof) ultimately led to the early and untimely retirement of the greatest Lion who ever lived, Barry Sanders. He allowed a home playoff game against the Packers in 1994 to remain a non-sellout sticking Lions fans with a rerun of 'Dirty Harry' on Channel 50 while the Packers turned the Silverdome into this:

And that was all BEFORE he hired Matt Millen...

Screw THAT guy?

Screw that guy.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    It's difficult for the Ravens to pick one because they have a relatively very short history in the league. If I had to pick someone though, I'd probably go with Kyle Boller. One could make an argument for Elvis Grbac or Jamal Lewis, but I think Boller has to get the nod through no fault of his own besides being a very bad QB. Cam Cameron is making a strong push however in recent years.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Jeff George is way up there at least in the Colts "Indianapolis history".That said depending on what happens this week, Irsay may pass him on the most hated list.
    Last edited by Colts01; 03-06-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Blog Entries
    Every quarterback since 1960 except for McMahon and Cutler along with most of the draft picks from the last fifteen years. And Charles Martin.

And, yes, that includes you, Jack Concannon.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    It's difficult for the Ravens to pick one because they have a relatively very short history in the league. If I had to pick someone though, I'd probably go with Kyle Boller. One could make an argument for Elvis Grbac or Jamal Lewis, but I think Boller has to get the nod through no fault of his own besides being a very bad QB. Cam Cameron is making a strong push however in recent years.
    Baltimore fans get to hate Irsay Sr., though?
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    Baltimore fans get to hate Irsay Sr., though?
    Nah. The Browns moving to Baltimore removed that stain.

On a tangent - screw Barry Levinson and that hokey marching band documentary he did for "30 for 30". Bogus sentimentality.

GRRRR....
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur