Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Irsay cuts the "s" out of Indianapoli

Blog Entries
    Shall I point out my experience from a Detroit POV.

Just because you can run the bulldozer and knock down the old house, doesn't mean you can actually BUILD a house to replace it. Name me a team that gutted itself and then rebuilt to GOOD level with the same front office personel.

Usually you gut the team with someone and then you discover that GM CANT rebuild. Then you limp around trying to find a GM that can build from the pile of rubble left from the last guy.

Name me some teams that tore down an AGING good team and then built a new one back.

Green Bay comes to mind, but they never really gutted GB. They replaced key parts at different times. Doing the playoffs at about a 50% clip for about 10 years. and when did TT replace RW?

Dallas after the triplets comes to mind, but I don't know if the Indy GM is Parcells. And Dallas is barely up to my GOOD category

There ARENT many teams that build a GOOD team from zippo.

Blog Entries
    A good 3 year plan usually takes about 15-20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post

Green Bay comes to mind, but they never really gutted GB. They replaced key parts at different times. Doing the playoffs at about a 50% clip for about 10 years. and when did TT replace RW?
    TT did not replace Wolf. He replaced Mike Sherman.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I have no confidence in Indy being any good at building a team.
    How could you possibly have any basis for making that judgment?

It's a new GM and a new head coach. About the only constant is the owner, who has been hands off in the past. He let his last GM do a pretty freaking good job of building a team, IIRC.

You can't possibly have a feel for these guys until they've been in action for a year or two.

Just because you can run the bulldozer and knock down the old house, doesn't mean you can actually BUILD a house to replace it. Name me a team that gutted itself and then rebuilt to GOOD level with the same front office personel.

Good things the Colts changed their front office personnel.

There ARENT many teams that build a GOOD team from zippo.
    Worst-to-first is not uncommon in the NFL these days.

I agree with what I think is your opinion, that progressive change is better than sledgehammer change. Better to be a Walsh and change parts as they age rather than tear the whole edifice down.

That said, this was coming regardless of whether or not Polian stayed. Last season proved that.

As you say, the Colts did the right thing by cleaning out the entire house, front office and all.

I officially have no idea what the Colts are doing. I realize that they had a terrible year, but before that they won 10+ game 9 straight years. There is no one (not named Irsay) left from that incredible run. Front office, coaches, team leaders - all gone. They aren't much more than an expansion team.

Apologies to you Colts fans. I have the self-control of a 3-year-old when it comes to **** like this.

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I officially have no idea what the Colts are doing. I realize that they had a terrible year, but before that they won 10+ game 9 straight years. There is no one (not named Irsay) left from that incredible run. Front office, coaches, team leaders - all gone. They aren't much more than an expansion team.
    I think it's fair to ask how many leaders a 2-14 team actually has?

Helluva firesale there in Indy. Is it too early to make my AFCS prediction for '12? Houston Texans in a landslide, regardless of where Manning may end up.