Thread: Hines Ward: One of a Kind

Blog Entries

Hines Ward: One of a Kind

Well, it appears that the Steelers have scheduled a press conference with Hines Ward for this afternoon. The clear inference would be that Ward has decided to hang up his cleats.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ss-conference/

Now pardon me while I gush over one of my all-time favorites...

If this is indeed the end, I think it's a satisfying ending to a career that I hope ends up in Canton. Ward, as much as anyone in the NFL, is associated with one team. And with other provincial icons being forced to don another uniform (it will never not be awkward seeing Peyton Manning in a Bronco uniform), I love the fact that guys like Ward (and I'll even say hopefully Ray Lewis) end their careers in only one uniform.

Ward is one of those players who you adored if he was on your side, and respected (often with an inner hatred) if he wasn't. You wanted him on your team because you knew without any doubt that he would make your team better.

For all of his accomplishments, I look more at the development of WR in his time with Pittsburgh. He was known for his toughness, but even more impressive was how his style of play rubbed off on his teammates. Plaxico Burress became one of the most complete/best blocking WRs in the league. Santonio Holmes gave constant effort in Pittsburgh, including in the running game. I also think he's aided the development of Mike Wallace, and certainly Antonio Brown, who both quickly morphed into pro bowl players.

Ward was an example every team would wish they had. He's certainly one of the favorite players of me, and any Steeler fan. And I'd love to see him decide to continue on in coaching, because I think that was the most underappreciated/least known aspect to his game.

I know that WRs have seemingly hit a road block into Canton, but Hines Ward is one of those players who transcended the position, and a HOF without him wouldn't seem to be complete.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Hines personified what it means to be a steeler. It's only fitting he never dons another teams uni. I'm glad I won't have to suffer watching him wear one while having a mediocre season. I hope we do hire him as a coaching consultant of some sort. His impact was huge in developing young wrs, seeing as how that's mostly what we've had on our team other than hines himself. Hines does deserve to be in the hall.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

I've honestly always liked Hines. Some people may call him "dirty," but with the Harrison thread, I think people know I appreciate the hard hitting attitude of the Steelers. Hines was not only one of the best WRs of all time, he was a ferocious blocker and he wore the black and gold with pride. Much respect to a great player and I'm sad to see him go. Perhaps we see him as an analyst or tv personality?

I think you can count me in with the HOF talk as well. IMHO, the only people he'd be behind from this era are TO and Randy Moss and that's a huge compliment. Obviously, guys like Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson have a chance to outdo what Ward did, but Ward is apparently starting the HOF process now. Good luck, Hines!
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Hines Ward was never a dirty player, just someone who played the game hard.

5. Hines Ward always had that smile on his face during games because he was loving every minute of it. He realized playing in the NFL was a privilege and not a right and never took it for granted. Maximum effort and giving the game everything he had was what Ward was always about. Without a doubt, the toughest, most physical WR I have ever seen play. In setting a high standard for himself, he raised the bar for all of the other WRs as well as the rest of his teammates. The consumate professional. Two Super Bowl wins and MVP of one of them is his badge of honor.

Dave is it safe to say Hines could have played in any era?

I'm crazy happy hines Hung em up only having worn the hypercloids on his helmet.

It's a tough moment for a hardcore fan to put to words. Same as with the bus. So many great memories...

I know this, ill miss his immeasurable smile most of all. Regardless of whatever he always wore it getting up. Destroy him over the middle with a hit? He was cheesing ear to ear. Most memorable to me, him catching the randle el pass and looking up at the jumbo tron on the way to the end zone in superbowl xl, wearing his electric smile, perhaps the most electric one he's ever had..

Thanks for the memories hines! I'll be one of your staunchest supporters for enshrinement!

And yes I watered up watching his news conference.
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 03-21-2012 at 03:12 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.