Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Numbers Game

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    I'm not getting the Alz thing. He gave this quote last week, so he hasn't completely lost his mind.
    He has a mental deficiency, a quite awful one from my experience. Saying he hasn't totally lost his mind is ridiculous. Alz patients have periods of lucidity, but they are colored by periods of dementia. Once the disease has set in, its unfair and improper to hold anything they say as the utmost truth given the situation. They know not what they are truly doing.

Same reason why a mentally deficient person cannot be convicted of a felony. They don't know the extent of the crime they commited, or actively participate in their own defense. Perhaps a bit too strong of an example, but apt. I'm not saying this happened, but its pretty easy to get someone with dementia to agree with you. It's why in a court of law someone with a medically proven mental issue isn't held responsible for their actions the way the rest of the populace is.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have a source attesting to this guy's Alzheimer's Disease? I don't really Brauneyz has any reason to make it up, but we're really speculating about this guy with no specifics (Alzheimer's is not pretty, but there are stages to it, of course; it's not unreasonable to assume that at 84 he might be in the latter stages of the disease, but then again, he may not be, especially if that's a legitimate quote from him that Wax keeps waving around and I saw on the web as well).

All the same, I don't see how that should affect things much. You picked a new team, you can pick a new number. If you wore #18 to honor your dad for the first fourteen years of your career, I don't think it will matter much if you wear your college number (#16) or any other number you choose.

I hear #15 may be available soon.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    From what I read, he does have Alzheimer's. The quote was he has memory lapses associated with the disease. This is the biggest non-story to me since spygate. Tripucka sounded lucid to me and it's a freaking number. What a waste of emotion. It's not as if the Brincos or Manning are suddenly saying he doesn't matter or isn't honored anymore. Sorry to those of you who disagree. You're entitled to your opinion but I just dont care.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Okay, my $0.02.

First, sorry for creating a carbon copy thread. I saw the title and assumed it was darvon trying to figure out if the cleats would fit better if he used a 24" lace or something.

I'm with Vance, the idea of retired jerseys is silly. The NFL strongly discourages retiring numbers now because in 2012, there have been almost 100 NFL seasons. If you go retire crazy, there are no numbers left and you almost have to go and ask a retired guy. Like wxwax pointed out, the number wasn't retired because he was a great QB, nobody knows who he is. Unless you were that big of a football fan 50 years ago, I bet everyones first reaction was, "who??"

In a nutshell, we have a guy who played 50% of his career in the CFL who put up underwhelming numbers (sans his 3,000 yard season) and was brought to Denver to be a coach. He only started at QB because they realized that the QB position was horrific. This man calls Peyton and INSISTS he wears the number, so Peyton agrees.

How is he a bad person again? He's not like Jerry Rice who bothered Steve Largent until Largent agreed to give him 80. For those who admire Montana, Montana called Dawson. Dawson said no. Montana didn't refuse. People come out of retirement all the time. It's not mandatory for them to stay retired, why is it a travesty for a number to come retired and why do some people think that the man who the number is retired for can't give his blessing?
    Last edited by packa7x; 03-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Okay, my $0.02.

First, sorry for creating a carbon copy thread. I saw the title and assumed it was darvon trying to figure out if the cleats would fit better if he used a 24" lace or something.
    This made me laugh.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    Okay, my $0.02.

/Nerdsnort.

Seriously, though, the faultlines of this thread are essentially the same as the other Manning debates on here, only it's an even sillier argument. It really isn't a big deal. He could've chosen to do something else, but he didn't, and it should be over by now.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    /Nerdsnort.

Seriously, though, the faultlines of this thread are essentially the same as the other Manning debates on here, only it's an even sillier argument. It really isn't a big deal. He could've chosen to do something else, but he didn't, and it should be over by now.

The only reason I knew/cared is because I found it so ridiculous that Florio was basically trying to start a war against PM.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    The only reason I knew/cared is because I found it so ridiculous that Florio was basically trying to start a war against PM.
    Maybe I should clarify my initial comment: I thought your comment about was funny.

As to the thread, it was a story and worth discussing, I suppose, but I just think it's funny that the columns (pro- and anti-18) fit (more or less) neatly in the pro- and anti-Manning debates we have repeatedly on this site.
    @kocsan