Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Florio is slowly going insane

Blog Entries
    Tripucka's family has said they are glad Manning is wearing the number also.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    I hope Manning blows out a knee week 1 personally.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Braunie. It's wrong on several levels, and it's stupid, too. PM is going out of his way to look like Unitas with the Bolts. The Broncs have only retired three freakin' numbers, and Peyton having to have one of them just puts out a bad vibe. You can spin it that it shines some light on Frank Tripucka, but it would have been smarter to make a clean start, ratchet down the pressure, and let PM build a little success in Denver. It's a small thing in the long run, but hey, you need every edge.

Blog Entries
    For the people that hate the idea of someone wearing a retired number, can they explain why this idea seems so sacred and exactly what Peyton did wrong other than want to wear a number that he had worn his entire NFL career?

I admit that I will not be able to be swayed in my overall opinion, but the idea seems so illogical that I want to understand it.

My opinion is that no number in of itself is sacred and the idea of retiring them is silly. I see the idea that they are static points of reverence for individual accomplishments in their sports, but don't we already have that once a career is over? Aren't they called trophies and stats and historical anecdotes? Veterans of the team and sportswriters and fans all mention that a new player wearing an esteemed number must give respect to said number, right? I don't see how a physical symbol is necessary to respect a great career/person/accomplishment.

Eventually, if all agree to adhere to this unwritten rule, then it is only natural that a roster of 53 players would have to go to three digit numbers in the future. Has anyone seen a three digit jersey? I have. It looks awful. Bad PR. What of the great player of the future? What happens when the first team reaches 47 retired numbers and he has a great career? Since it seems unlikely that three digit numbers would be accepted (unless the average width of the human back greatly increases, of course), would we be unable to acknowledge his great career? Of course not. There will still be unofficial team "Halls of Fame" and "Rings of Honor" for that along with the one recognized by the league; if it is all that important.

If I ever see a Chicago Bear wear 34, I will certainly think in my head that he should give respect to that number and play hard, but I will never think that no one deserves to wear it.

Back to Peyton. And Tripucka. Facts are facts. Peyton Manning is a much better quarterback compared to his contemporaries than Tripucka ever was. The best Tripucka did as a player was back-up Johnny Lujack at Notre Dame. The best thing he did as a man as a football player was stick by the AFL. His accomplishments have merit, but don't tell me that Peyton Manning is not good enough as a man or a football player to wear the same number.

Is the main reason due to reverence? Is it something else? Help me understand your side, people.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    stay classy.

Blog Entries
    It's how I do. I don't think Peyton really cares about his teams that much, nor do I like him at all. One of my 5 least favorite players in the NFL. He just moved up a spot now that Whines Ward retired.

tubbs, I have to say I think that kind of sentiment has no place in sports.

Anywhere.

Blog Entries
    Except in the Saints locker room?

Except in the Saints locker room?
    I'll lay it out. It's a sick, immature sentiment. Anyone who has experienced deprivation in life knows better than to wish it on someone else. It has no place in life, let alone sports.

Blog Entries
    I've torn a ligament in my knee as well as my ankle thank you. I know what it is like. I knew I took that chance when I went on the field as does he.