Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress Report - BCS Playoff. Don't count your chickens quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
    I think its actually 11 conferences. So you would have to exclude 3 conference champions.

I have no sympathy for the independents in college football.
    Cee ya, Notre Dame.

But Tubbsie, we've established that you're a bit deficient in the sympathy gene in general.

ps There must always be a mechanism for allowing next year's Boise State to have a shot. To not do so undermines the very principle at work here, which is that people want to see the best teams have a chance.

Blog Entries
    The whole point of a championship is that not losing for the entire season and postseason guarantees a championship (exotic exceptions are exceptions).

With the current system, don't we have undefeated non-champions about every other year?

BCS officials talked about how they'd rank the team in a 4 team playoff, for 4 hours.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...alabama-oregon

I'm getting giddy.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    BCS officials talked about how they'd rank the team in a 4 team playoff, for 4 hours.

I'm getting giddy.
    HELL YES!!! All this seems like a good move to me.

The traveling of fans is a moot point to me. Seeing as how sec teams dominate these ranks, its a non issue. Lsu, bama, auburn, Florida, and Georgia fans would buy tickets to travel to mars for any of these games.

Seeing as how they occupy most of the slots, for said games, have no fear about selling out.

It may change the dynamic of the game, but it won't keep the venues from selling out.. southern folk LOVE them some college football. I've no way to quantify it for strictly pro fans.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post

I'm getting giddy.
    As I have posted on other boards, I don't think a playoff system is going to solve a lot of the angst that college football fans feel. People are gonna complain about how the playoff teams are determined, because its still gonna be on a mostly subjective manner. The only thing a playoff might accomplish is that you let enough teams who people feel deserve a shot at the national championship that any "bubble teams" people aren't gonna feel sorry for. That's kinda how it is with college basketball. But if you get to that point, then people complain that too many teams are in the playoff and we crown a national champion of a team that didn't deserve to even be in a playoff.

Now I've said that I do favor a playoff system, because I feel this angst. But I personally think any playoff system has to reward mostly conference champions as you put a lot more meaning on the regular season and you eliminate a lot of the subjective element. But it seems pretty clear the commissioners aren't going that way, which depending on how they structure things could actually cause less interest in the regular season, as anti-playoff proponents have argued.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
    As I have posted on other boards, I don't think a playoff system is going to solve a lot of the angst that college football fans feel. People are gonna complain about how the playoff teams are determined, because its still gonna be on a mostly subjective manner.
    I agree that a four team playoff based on some kind of ranking system will lead to more complaints. It's inevitable. I also think contorting things to save the bowls makes things hard on fans, two sets of whom will be asked to make two long road trips in a row.

However, the toe is now in the door. A little more time, a little more pushing, and if we're lucky Jim Delany's greatest fear will come true: an expanded playoff.

I think the powers that be understand the value of expansion over time. If they go with 8 teams out of the gate, they deprive themselves of the boost in waht will already be huge ratings by skipping the first step which is 4 teams.

Does anyone really believe Apple could not have put out the iPhone 4 three years before they made it available? C'mon now.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    I think the powers that be understand the value of expansion over time. If they go with 8 teams out of the gate, they deprive themselves of the boost in waht will already be huge ratings by skipping the first step which is 4 teams.
    Jim Delany is adamantly opposed to a broader playoff, and he's a big swinging dick in that world. I doubt very much any of them -- the AD's or the university presidents -- want a broader playoff.

Heck, they don't even want a 4-team playoff. What they're doing right now is bowing to incessant public pressure. Grudgingly. Reluctantly. Through gritted teeth. With very little unanimity.

However, give an inch and we'll take a mile. That's Delany's fear and my hope.

You just said it, wax. Once Delany and his pals give that little, itty-bitty inch, the snowball will begin. I'd predict a jump to a 16-team playoff within 12-15 years, tops. Because once they go to this "Final Four" system, Bracket Fever v9.0, the Football Edition will ensue and they will be both powerless to stop it and foolish not to capitalize on it.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    You just said it, wax. Once Delany and his pals give that little, itty-bitty inch, the snowball will begin. I'd predict a jump to a 16-team playoff within 12-15 years, tops. Because once they go to this "Final Four" system, Bracket Fever v9.0, the Football Edition will ensue and they will be both powerless to stop it and foolish not to capitalize on it.
    I disagree. I think the powers that be don't want to expand the playoffs to the point where the regular season is meaningless. They see what happens with college basketball. Nobody cares about the regular season. Its all about March Madness. The money they make from a 16 team playoff is going to be offset somewhat by the loss of interest in the regular season. That is something they are going to avoid.