Page 1 of 87 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baseball Season Thread

Blog Entries

The Baseball Season Thread

We've entered another phase of the offseason. Here's a chance for those of us who care to chart our highs and lows throughout the summer, punctuated by a seriously grumpy Clem telling us to take up gardening or something. If we keep most of the chatter in here, it could be fun to read through at the end of the year.

I'll start with an interesting factoid. People have been tossing around the fact that yesterday's game between Toronto and Cleveland was the longest Opening Day game in Major League history at sixteen innings. Did you know, though, that it isn't even the longest home opener in Cleveland Indians history? In 1992--when I was seven and knee high to a sea turtle--went to watch the Tribe open their second-to-last season at Municipal Stadium against the Boston Red Sox. I don't know if we stayed for all of it, but my dad and I certainly stayed for most of the nineteen-inning affair, which we of course lost, 7-5.

Happy Baseball, everyone.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Happy baseball to you as well. Such a great time of year. This year, I'm celebrating by participating in my first 20 team dynasty league. Also, if you ever want an idea that's completely bananas...

I decided to start up a league this year. However, instead of doing the traditional mixed league format, or just an AL or NL only league, decided to do both. So with 8 teams, each of us own 2 teams, one for each league. 23 man rosters, no bench. Eliminated the problem of having an incredibly shallow mixed league, or having to choose just one league over another. Having a blast with it so far. Next year, we're going to try and hold a dual draft, drafting all 16 teams (2 each) in the same draft, to add a little additional strategy.

As for the season, I'm seeing an MVP season from Joey Votto and Evan Longoria, and Cy Young seasons from a couple of sleepers- Madison Bumgarner and Ricky Romero. In the World Series, give me Angels over Reds. I'd love to not pick LA of A, but they have it all, power, speed, pitching, and most importantly, incredible depth.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

I love everybody picking the Angels in the AL West. Don't mind the 2-time AL champion Texas Rangers who are more than happy to slide under the radar.

Blog Entries
    Oh, God, the World Series? Um...

The Angels are the obvious pick, but if we learned anything from the Red Sox last year, it's that sometimes the team with everything doesn't win anything. Hm. We shouldn't make too much of that, though.

I may be a year or two late, but give me the Phillies. Their lineup is banged up and we won't see Utley and Howard for a while, but that pitching staff is still deadly. If they win the East (and I still don't like Atlanta or anyone else there enough to pick someone to top them), then that rotation is about the last thing I'd want to see in the playoffs--especially with Utley and Howard presumably back by then.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    My Way Too Early to Be Accurate Predictions:

AL West - Anaheim
    AL Central - Detroit
    AL East - New York
    AL Wild Cards - Texas, Tampa Bay

NL West - Arizona
    NL Central - Cincinnati
    NL East - Atlanta
    NL Wild Cards - Philadelphia, St. Louis

And I'm taking the Yankees over the...Diamondbacks in the World Series. 4-2.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Shhhhhh.

Justin Verlander twirled an 8 inning gem yesterday. Complete with a few 97 MPH fastballs and an equal number of 81 MPH knee-knocking yo-yo balls. Straight nasty, just like mid-season. Look out for JV this year. The Tigers haven't seen a pitcher like him since Jack Morris.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Shhhhhh.

Justin Verlander twirled an 8 inning gem yesterday. Complete with a few 97 MPH fastballs and an equal number of 81 MPH knee-knocking yo-yo balls. Straight nasty, just like mid-season. Look out for JV this year. The Tigers haven't seen a pitcher like him since Jack Morris.
    I don't think Justin Verlander is a secret. With his hardware--Rookie-of-the-Year (2006), No-hitter's club (2007), Cy Young (2011), and MVP (2011)--I don't think he's flying under anyone's radar. Not that he needs to.
    @kocsan

Twirled. I never got that one.

Without Googling, can you name the teams with the #1 and #2 winning percentages on opening day? They're connected, which is the only thing that makes the question interesting.

ATL is fielding essentially the same budget squad as last season. They'll need things to go just right to make the playoffs. It's Chipper Jones' last year. It's remarkable how well he still hits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post

Without Googling, can you name the teams with the #1 and #2 winning percentages on opening day? They're connected, which is the only thing that makes the question interesting.
    Since I really have no idea and I don't know the basis of the connection, I'll supply two teams as guesses and invent one: the Twins and the Rangers, who both used to be Washington franchises.
    @kocsan

Good guess, I like that. But not correct.