Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baseball Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
    You Rangers fans do realize that you are counting on a Japanese pitcher to carry your staff, when recent history suggests that Japanese pitchers transitioning to the major leagues have been disappointments? Maybe Darvish will break the trend, but its clear to me that the Angels have far better pitching than the Rangers and the Rangers are going to have to win the division by outbashing their opponents.
    But how many of those Japanese pitchers have had better numbers than Darvish? There can be an exception to almost anything. Look at Drew Brees.

And they still have an okay rotation even without him, so might as well take the risk. They lead them to a WS even without Cliff Lee.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    But how many of those Japanese pitchers have had better numbers than Darvish? There can be an exception to almost anything. Look at Drew Brees.

And they still have an okay rotation even without him, so might as well take the risk. They lead them to a WS even without Cliff Lee.
    The point is that the transition from the Japanese league to the Major leagues is night and day. You don't face the same caliber of hitter in the Japanese league as you do in the Majors. The one thing that is working for Texas that hasn't worked for the likes of Matsuzaka with the Red Sox and Irabu with the Yankees is that he's gonna be under far less pressure and under less of a spotlight than those guys, so that could allow him to have a few bad performances and bounce back without people saying that he is done. But on the downside, he's gonna have to deal with that Texas Heat during the summer, which is far different from what he is used to in Japan.

The Rangers do have an "okay" rotation without him. But I think effectively trading Wilson for Darvish is taking a few steps back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Yes. Nice job! Mets first, Yankees second. Mets played Braves on Thursday and they tossed out that the Mets are very proud of their opening day record. They added to it this year.

The Braves do have a budget squad. They haven't spent big since being sold to Liberty Media in 2007.

The Braves hitting may or may not improve. Heyward's a big question mark. Uggla should be more even. It will be very interesting to see how their pitching holds up, especially a bullpen that exceeded expectations last season.
    Dang. I'm late to the party. I could have told you that one. It is one of the stats that us Mets fans hang their hat on. we like to say...."yeah, but then it is usually downhill from there." after stating that opening day fact.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Blog Entries
    The point is that the transition from the Japanese league to the Major leagues is night and day. You don't face the same caliber of hitter in the Japanese league as you do in the Majors. The one thing that is working for Texas that hasn't worked for the likes of Matsuzaka with the Red Sox and Irabu with the Yankees is that he's gonna be under far less pressure and under less of a spotlight than those guys, so that could allow him to have a few bad performances and bounce back without people saying that he is done. But on the downside, he's gonna have to deal with that Texas Heat during the summer, which is far different from what he is used to in Japan.

The Rangers do have an "okay" rotation without him. But I think effectively trading Wilson for Darvish is taking a few steps back.
    I will defend Darvish a bit on this one. While the Japanese track record has been spotty, certainly Hideo Nomo, and even Daisuke had very good success in their first seasons as the batters had a difficult time adjusting. I do think Darvish is better than the 2 of them, but even if he has similar results, that should lend to a nice first season for him

RS, I'd expect you to take up for your team. And that's great. Really, there's no selling that needs to be done. But for all of the reasons mentioned above, and the natural tale that making 3 WS in a row is rare. Your closest rival in the west, the team that had dominated that division in recent history until the last 2 seasons, has made multiple significant improvements, while taking away from your team in the process. It's normal and predictable to downplay the effectiveness of a guy who leaves for a rival, but CJ Wilson has been one of the best pitchers in baseball over the last 2 years. Is he overpayed? Certainly. Will he regress? Likely. But that's a good team that made you weaker in the process. Top to bottom, the Angels lineup is at least close to a healthy Texas lineup. The Angels have better SP. The Rangers have the better bully. Both are great teams, and in my opinion the two best in the AL. But the Angels have the best manager, and now the best talent (combining their current roster with their organizational depth) from top to bottom in baseball. Mike Trout is joining that team this year, and he will be effective at the very least.

I hate making the trendy pick. But I'm not the homer here. I'm just being true. The Angels, as currently constructed, are the best team in baseball.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    I don't watch baseball at all. But ill {go out on a limb} with a prediction that will at the very least draw the ire of trumpet.

The pirates will suck again this year!!!!

Ill wait for trumpet to call me names and throw things!!
    I can't wait until that day comes when I can finally argue that sentiment.

Should happen at some point within the next 10-12 (ok, 25) years...
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    I don't think Justin Verlander is a secret. With his hardware--Rookie-of-the-Year (2006), No-hitter's club (2007), Cy Young (2011), and MVP (2011)--I don't think he's flying under anyone's radar. Not that he needs to.
    Definitely not a secret. But I can't remember a pitcher looking better right out of the gate. JV looked to be in playoff form on opening day. That curve ball was just plain filthy.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Definitely not a secret. But I can't remember a pitcher looking better right out of the gate. JV looked to be in playoff form on opening day. That curve ball was just plain filthy.
    My great uncle actually played for the Tigers for a few years in the sixties as a legitimate player, so I feel sort of an attachment to Detroit and always like to see them do well. I was one of the biggest Verlander fans there was last season, and I'm sure that the fact that he was on my fantasy team only had a little bit to do with that.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Plus, Detroit has one of the best caps in the game. Actually, great uni all around.

Truth. You can't beat the Old English 'D'.

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

You Rangers fans do realize that you are counting on a Japanese pitcher to carry your staff, when recent history suggests that Japanese pitchers transitioning to the major leagues have been disappointments? Maybe Darvish will break the trend, but its clear to me that the Angels have far better pitching than the Rangers and the Rangers are going to have to win the division by outbashing their opponents.
    Darvish is considered our 4th or 5th starter as of right now. I'm definitely expecting some growing pains from him to start but the Darvish signing was made with the future in mind not with the idea that he was going to come in and be the ace of the staff right away and win 20 games. And outbashing opponents is how we have done it the past 2 years so I don't know what the difference would be this year.