Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best in the World

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    To be honest, iwatt, I think these days international football is a step down from the very best club football. Didn't used to be that way. But with the explosion of money in Europe, the top clubs are quite a bit better than the top national sides, which often have to make personnel compromises.
    I agree on that, but that's becasue of how loaded some teams are. Barcelona versus Valladolid isn't nearly as exiting as Serbia versus Croatia. But the exitement is not the same. I love the passion of defending your National Squad. and though their are also loaded nationals squads, the comeptitiveness of the other teams makes it always intersting.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Alfie Boe doing Jean Valjean, anybody riding Bushwhacker, and women's volleyball, though that last might not have anything to do with excellence in sport.

That's great to hear. Sticking to Biggie's theme of "best", I struggle to watch MLS. I'm a devout fan of the EPL, which may or may not be the best. But MLS can be painful by comparison. I couldn't believe how slow the pitch was in Philly this weekend. In England they water the pitches before each half to make the grass slick. In Philly the game moved at a crawl. Also, that dunderhead Philly coach removed Freddie Adu, his best player by far, with the game in doubt. What the hell?
    I am also a devout fan of the EPL (where I watch Tottenham **** the bed every spring) , the Champios League and I will watch regular games from la Liga, Serie A and even Ligue 1.

After watching those games, switching to the MLS is like watching High School football.

For those on the fence about soccer, get ready for the European Championship this summer. Forget the Olympics, this is the best sporting event of the year.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

DVR set to Madrid vs Munich in @ 30 mins UEFA semi final.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    I am also a devout fan of the EPL (where I watch Tottenham **** the bed every spring) , the Champios League and I will watch regular games from la Liga, Serie A and even Ligue 1.

After watching those games, switching to the MLS is like watching High School football.

For those on the fence about soccer, get ready for the European Championship this summer. Forget the Olympics, this is the best sporting event of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    I am also a devout fan of the EPL (where I watch Tottenham **** the bed every spring)
    Yep. Old Harry and his boys fell apart again on Sunday. I can't believe how much space they gave Chelsea to operate. More or less conceded the midfield in the second half, I thought. Modric disappeared. Bale was terrifying, but not enough. Harry's shortcomings as a manager hurt them. Is he really England's best? I struggle to believe it.

Yep. Old Harry and his boys fell apart again on Sunday. I can't believe how much space they gave Chelsea to operate. More or less conceded the midfield in the second half, I thought. Modric disappeared. Bale was terrifying, but not enough. Harry's shortcomings as a manager hurt them. Is he really England's best? I struggle to believe it.
    As do I. And I'll also say that Modric's value must be half of what it was during the off-season. He's done next to nothing since christmas and at the moment looks like Spurs 5th best midfielder. Sad days at the lane - this team doesn't finish 4th, it will be a calamatous off-season.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

For today at least, the world's best call Stamford Bridge home.

Fantastic result!

Doc Emerick calling an NHL playoff game.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Doc Emerick calling an NHL playoff game.
    ^This.. I LOVE Doc's playcalling. Guy brings an unrivaled level of enthusiasm to the game that really ratchets up the intensity and excitement for us viewers at home.

Blog Entries
    This doesn't quite relate, since I don't watch women's basketball. It's not that I don't respect the sport. Women's basketball was huge in my HS, as our girls won multiple mythical USA Today national championships back in the day. I traveled to Hershey for the state championships each of the 3 years I was in school, and a girls hoops game remains the only place I've ever had the privilege of singing the National Anthem. But the sport is just too slow for TV.

That said, 1098 wins, 18 Final Fours, 8 National Championships, and a 100% graduation rate. Pat Summit deserves kudos, and is one of the great coaches of all time.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley