Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Not Now, When?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    If Trent Richardson is on the board at #4 and the Browns don't take him there should be an investigation. If you have to bet on one guy from this draft becoming a perennial pro bowler, it's Richardson.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Wright is a polished receiver, good route runner, understands defenses, will contribute immediately.
    Hill is a project. Great athlete, that's about it. Reminds me of a less experienced Jonathan Baldwin.
    Wright will be good but will probably never be great. Hill could be great, but he could also be a bust.

There are a lot of teams debating which of these 2 players should be the 3rd receiver off the board, that alone will probably push one of them into the top 20. I don't know that either of them should go higher than 25 to 30.
    I don't have a problem with a project. I think Little is going to be a fine #1, and I figure we probably won't go WR at #22 if we draft Richardson. Hill may still be there at #36 and I don't think Wright will, and I'm okay with that.
    @kocsan

2. A WCO isn't built around a RB, it's built around the QB, receivers, and the system. Drafting Richardson would go against the philosophy built by Bill Walsh and adopted by Mike Holmgren. It would surprise me to see Holmgren change direction.

Blog Entries
    Not to nitpick, but Holmgren was the GM when Seattle drafted Shaun Alexander... just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Not to nitpick, but Holmgren was the GM when Seattle drafted Shaun Alexander... just saying.
    yes but alexander wasn't a top 5 pick. He was also a better receiver (which is a must in a WCO) than Richardson is (not that richardson is a slouch in that area).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    yes but alexander wasn't a top 5 pick. He was also a better receiver (which is a must in a WCO) than Richardson is (not that richardson is a slouch in that area).
    Fair enough, but there were health concerns about Alexander not present with Richardson, and the wider point I'm trying to make is that a stud runningback and a West Coast aren't antithetical. And, as you said, Richardson's receiving skills are not bad, and his numbers are pretty good given Alabama's system.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    I've never been a fan of high draft picks on skill positions other than QB. But with the new rookie salaries, it's a much safer bet.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either Blackmon or Richardson though. Blackmon is amazing, on the field, not in the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Fair enough, but there were health concerns about Alexander not present with Richardson
    Didn't Richardson just have some kind of knee procedure? When they say minor, I always think it's cartilage.

Blog Entries
    If they go with Richardson, I'd lean taking Wright at 22. I agree with 6 that Little appears to have a really nice future, but based on his skill set, I think a guy like Wright who is precise in his routes with good hands would be a perfect compliment to Little.

If they want to get a potential #1 receiver, then the choice has to be Blackmon at #4. Then, at 22 they can go best available, and still get someone like Doug Martin with their top pick in round 2.

The three options they can consider...
    1.) TRich, Wright, Best Available rd 2
    2.) TRich, BA at 22, WR (likely Hill or Jeffery) in rd 2
    3.) Blackmon, BA at 22, RB (choice of the litter as to who their favorite is) in rd 2.

Personally, I think option 3 may be their best bet to have the highest quality draft.

I am violently opposed to taking a WR that high in the draft. For every Larry Fitzgerald, there are Braylons and Crabtrees and Charles Rodgers...

If this Richardson is the blue chipper, than the Browns should grab him and then follow up with someone who weighs at least 260 pounds.

They should then get a new defensive coordinator.

10. 17 wide receivers have been chosen in the Top 5 since the common draft began in 1967, including WR A.J. Green by the Bengals in 2011. 3 of the last 4 have fared well, with Green the 16th rookie in NFL history to reach 1,000 yards receiving...

Year Team Player School No.
    2011 Bengals A.J. Green Georgia 4
    2007 Lions Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech 2
    2005 Browns Braylon Edwards Michigan 3
    2004 Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald Pittsburgh 3
    2003 Lions Charles Rogers Michigan State 2
    2003 Texans Andre Johnson Miami, Fla. 3
    2000 Bengals Peter Warrick Florida State 4
    1996 Jets Keyshawn Johnson Southern Cal 1
    1995 Redskins Michael Westbrook Colorado 4
    1992 Redskins Desmond Howard Michigan 4
    1984 Patriots Irving Fryar Nebraska 1