Thread: Bo Ryan and NCAA Transfer Eligibility

Blog Entries

Bo Ryan and NCAA Transfer Eligibility

This happens to be Basketball, but the prior issue was with Randy Edsall and the Maryland football team.

The issue is, IIUC, a student athlete who transfers must sit out the first year at the new university, UNLESS the former university, via paperwork filed by the coach, allows an exception for a particular school.

The way this normal works is that the coach says an exception is OK, EXCEPT for a list of named schools.

NOTE: This is for eligibility reasons only, it is NOT restricted to those athletes on scholarship to the best of my knowledge.

Prior to actual transfer, the player wants to talk to the coaching staff of the possible schools. Believe it or not, this contact is not permitted unless explicity granted by the Coach/School.

Bo Ryan, Mens Basketball coach at Wisconsin, is blocking Jarrod Uthoff discussing this with all other Big 10, ACC and Marquette and Iowa State. Iowa State is the hometown team for the player and Marquette is a team in proximity to Wisconsin. Big 10 and ACC have a program of playing each other (1 game per season) for the next several years.

Jarrod submitted a list of 25 schools to the Coach and the Coach blocked the above teams which constitute more than half the 25.

Ryan was on Mike and Mike this morning, and although initially persuasive, dug his hole deeper by the end.

Ryan gave the following reasons for his action:

1) There is an appeal process which the student can appeal the coaches blocks. The appeal is handled by an administrator, not the coach. Ryan framed the appeal as simple and easy and probable of acceptance in this case.

2) He had almost no experience with Transfers and inquired of other coaches what to do. He states that his actions were what every other coach counselled and is the accepted practice.

When asked why block anything, his response was: it allows the student to explain his reasoning for particular schools during the appeal process and that it is common practice.

If you listen to the interview Ryan alludes to "responsibility to the university".... but never concludes his thread. I believe that essentially Ryan believes that a team has an investment in a student and as such has a fudiciary responsiblity to using the blocking mechanism to force justification by the student. I think most coaches do.

But he was smart enough never to actually say that.

The die is cast. We are going to hear more and more of these blocking stories. Fundamentally because no one wants to discuss the underlying reason for the rule in the first place, which is to limit player mobility to make it easier on the coach.
    Last edited by darvon; 04-19-2012 at 11:27 AM.

I get angry when i read these stories. To me, they're a clear abuse of power. Edsall finally backed off. That poor kid from St. Joseph's got screwed by his former coach, IIRC.

Blog Entries
    The fatal Jenga block was pulled from the tower of righteousness representing the NCAA long ago.

This is just another thing that goes on everywhere. Ryan even admitted so on "Mike & Mike" this morning. Meanwhile, coaches can pull Petrinos (I mean the part about leaving at any time, not banging a mistress and then hiring her) whenever they want.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Blog Entries
    Isn't there some fundamental freedom of choice been affected by these blockings? The way I understand it, colleges want to avoid problems with the NCAA because they believe they need the rubber stamp of approval. But the moment the SEC wises up and just leaves to build it's own super-conference and invites Texas and Oklahoma, abandoning the NCAA and bowl system, this is done.

I smell a future class action lawsuit
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I don't know why coaches are this strict. It looks really bad to potential recruits.

Once again one of the "Leaders of Men" shows his true colors. Petty, vindictive and full of an overseer's mentality.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Once again one of the "Leaders of Men" shows his true colors. Petty, vindictive and full of an overseer's mentality.
    Well said.

Blog Entries
    Now let's see if we can get Danny Manning up next in the batter's box.

The Twitterverse is a little short in follow through. Let's see.

Blog Entries
    OK. In most of my readings across the net, Mike & Mike is considered pretty vanilla and non-combative.

One of the things I heard at almost every source when the Bo Ryan story went viral yesterday is a very nonchalant acceptance that "Of course, transferring in conference is blocked."

Today on Mike and Mike, Greenburg has brought up the issue again. Being nice about Bo Ryan, but really tearing into the "Of course, transferring in conference is blocked."

Good job.