Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The next Rodgers contract

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    First off, I think Aaron is reasonable enough to not kill the Packers and the Packers need him enough to be the figurative dad with his wallet open. I think his deal will be similar to what Brady has. Aaron's current deal is 6yr $65 million with a $13 million signing bonus. It averages just under $11 million a year, but 2009 was low...around $2 million. Brady's deal is similar, just more money. He scored a 5yr, $78 million deal. He scored $16 million guaranteed...roster bonuses and such included, $41,702,480 in bonuses. The deal averages $15.7 million/year, but it's backloaded. The last 2 years combined are about $42 million.

The Packers will likely give Rodgers a similar contract. The Pats were "only" on the hook for $16 million had they needed to cut Brady. Backloading and putting in substantial signing bonuses ($19 million in the last 2 years for Brady with $6.4 million in prorated signing bonuses still outstanding) allows the team to rework the deal into a much more cap-friendly deal. No way NE pays Brady $21 million. They'll extend him and rework the roster bonuses to allow them more cap room. Rodgers will get a similar deal. A deceptively high total salary number with a much lower realistic earning potential.
    I certainly hope that Aaron is more reasonable than others we've seen, time will tell.

I was thinking about something that escalates over 6 years from 16M to 20M, arranged however they like but don't know if that's going be reasonable after the desperate Saints make Brees happy (or not).

Where can I find the details on Brady's current deal?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Brees is severely over pricing himself. He has the same number of rings, and Super Bowl MVP's as Manning, 4 less NFL MVP's than Manning and holds one NFL record in a year where several people either broke it, or also came close to breaking it. I don't think he's even worth Tom Brady's contract.
    I agree whole heartedly with this ^^

I'm not a huge brees fan, I think everyone knows that at this point.

Brees is worth no where near what he wants. IMHO he's a 12m a yr guy. But Im also coloring that with who plays qb for my team, not how the saints value him. He's the straw that stirs their drink. He's not as good as Brady, a healthy manning, rodgers, or Ben. However he's probably going to get paid better than all of them.

He's got the saints by the short and curlies.. no offense guru to break in a new qb. The team revolves around that offense. One brees has mastered. If they want to win and keep selling out the dome, brees is a requisite piece in doing so. The saints never had a waiting list for season tix. They do now. However its a tenuous situation. That waiting list disappears if brees doesn't play and the team sucks. The saints aren't the pack or the steelers, who will perpetually have 30+ yr waiting lists for season tix.

Brees isn't worth that money to you, or I Sparta, but he is to the saints. He's going to get a selfish above market contract. One that may set a high water mark. One both of us hope our qbs don't use in their next renegotiations. Hopefully they give a hometown discount and see the benefit of giving back to get better teammates, same as pm did when he signed his last contract w the colts, when he INSISTED on less to give back to the team.

I'll venture a guess and say both do. I don't see Ben or rodgers playing this game brees has when its time to negotiate a new contract. I also don't think Ben or rodgers would ever need to be franchised. I think both would come to terms before that. Of course, being a life long steeler or packer means something.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by edave View Post
    I certainly hope that Aaron is more reasonable than others we've seen, time will tell.

I was thinking about something that escalates over 6 years from 16M to 20M, arranged however they like but don't know if that's going be reasonable after the desperate Saints make Brees happy (or not).

Where can I find the details on Brady's current deal?
    For contract info go to spotrac.com. they break down everything. Yearly salary, escalators, bonuses.. everything!!
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    For contract info go to spotrac.com. they break down everything. Yearly salary, escalators, bonuses.. everything!!
    Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    I agree whole heartedly with this ^^

I'm not a huge brees fan, I think everyone knows that at this point.

Brees is worth no where near what he wants. IMHO he's a 12m a yr guy. But Im also coloring that with who plays qb for my team, not how the saints value him. He's the straw that stirs their drink. He's not as good as Brady, a healthy manning, rodgers, or Ben. However he's probably going to get paid better than all of them.

He's got the saints by the short and curlies.. no offense guru to break in a new qb. The team revolves around that offense. One brees has mastered. If they want to win and keep selling out the dome, brees is a requisite piece in doing so. The saints never had a waiting list for season tix. They do now. However its a tenuous situation. That waiting list disappears if brees doesn't play and the team sucks. The saints aren't the pack or the steelers, who will perpetually have 30+ yr waiting lists for season tix.

Brees isn't worth that money to you, or I Sparta, but he is to the saints. He's going to get a selfish above market contract. One that may set a high water mark. One both of us hope our qbs don't use in their next renegotiations. Hopefully they give a hometown discount and see the benefit of giving back to get better teammates, same as pm did when he signed his last contract w the colts, when he INSISTED on less to give back to the team.

I'll venture a guess and say both do. I don't see Ben or rodgers playing this game brees has when its time to negotiate a new contract. I also don't think Ben or rodgers would ever need to be franchised. I think both would come to terms before that. Of course, being a life long steeler or packer means something.
    I dunno about that. He's been damn good the past few years. But he's probably not a 20 million/year QB. The problem is, I think he feels somewhat disrespected by the Saints, so since they franchised him, he isn't going to do them any favors by taking a lower salary when he has a lot of leverage with them.