Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The next Rodgers contract

The next Rodgers contract

Do any of you recall being flabbergasted by the 'lifetime' Favre 100M contract? I know I was. Aaron's 2008 early season extension pushed him into Favre 2001 numbers.

Meanwhile...

Favre was getting 20M per year from a team that had lost its mind a couple years ago.

Peyton Manning had a contract that was strangling everyone involved. A 28M roster bonus was absurd. Denver tossed a reported 18M his way and then chose to back him up with a mannequin (kinda like Indy).

I'm a bit iffy on Brady's contract details but think he's in the upper teens.

Drew Brees agent is asking for a reported 23M; hard to say where things wind up. Figure 20M.

20 is the new 10 and all the good ones target it.

If I were budgeting a team, I'd be inclined to use as much as 18 percent (15% seems a lot more comfortable) for the most important position.

That's a LOT when you figure that somewhere around 60 others have to be covered by the remaining 82 to 85% (along with any dead money and in season extensions). And if you hit a year like the Packers did in 2010 with a cap there are no saviors (Walden and Green were Hans and Luke).

At 20M (and a 121ish cap), a single contract blows a position with 3 to 4 contracts totally out of whack.

With all that in mind, what's it going to cost to sign Aaron?

First off, I think Aaron is reasonable enough to not kill the Packers and the Packers need him enough to be the figurative dad with his wallet open. I think his deal will be similar to what Brady has. Aaron's current deal is 6yr $65 million with a $13 million signing bonus. It averages just under $11 million a year, but 2009 was low...around $2 million. Brady's deal is similar, just more money. He scored a 5yr, $78 million deal. He scored $16 million guaranteed...roster bonuses and such included, $41,702,480 in bonuses. The deal averages $15.7 million/year, but it's backloaded. The last 2 years combined are about $42 million.

The Packers will likely give Rodgers a similar contract. The Pats were "only" on the hook for $16 million had they needed to cut Brady. Backloading and putting in substantial signing bonuses ($19 million in the last 2 years for Brady with $6.4 million in prorated signing bonuses still outstanding) allows the team to rework the deal into a much more cap-friendly deal. No way NE pays Brady $21 million. They'll extend him and rework the roster bonuses to allow them more cap room. Rodgers will get a similar deal. A deceptively high total salary number with a much lower realistic earning potential.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Rodgers is in his prime and worth quite a bit more than an old and injured manning. The old guy past his prime got $18mil per. Why wouldn't rodgers use that as a starting point for negotiations, just like brees has?

Rodgers is a far superior qb to brees, so I'm thinking the brees deal that's likely forthcoming shapes a lot of that discussion. Rodgers may be reasonable, but there's only so much of a hometown discount he's going to give. I forsee a 6yr 116mil contract with $35 mil up front, and a back loaded final 2 years on the deal.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    Rodgers is in his prime and worth quite a bit more than an old and injured manning. The old guy past his prime got $18mil per. Why wouldn't rodgers use that as a starting point for negotiations, just like brees has?

Rodgers is a far superior qb to brees, so I'm thinking the brees deal that's likely forthcoming shapes a lot of that discussion. Rodgers may be reasonable, but there's only so much of a hometown discount he's going to give. I forsee a 6yr 116mil contract with $35 mil up front, and a back loaded final 2 years on the deal.
    Rodgers is the best in the biz right now. pay the man.

Mike - clean out your inbox. It's full.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Brady has 3 rings, a couple MVPs, and tons of records and just made it to his 5th SB and is making $78 million. Manning's contract is extreme. It will likely be around what Brees gets. I'm thinking 5yr/$85-90 million.

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Brady has 3 rings, a couple MVPs, and tons of records and just made it to his 5th SB and is making $78 million. Manning's contract is extreme. It will likely be around what Brees gets. I'm thinking 5yr/$85-90 million.
    It's going to be more for brees. The saints have offered a contract in the neighborhood of what you posted. No dice. He countered with what pm was offered before he purposefully took less. Brees wants over $20 mil a year, matter of fact he's asked for $23 mil avg.

@gobig cleaned my box out. Appreciate the heads up..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

I doubt the Saints go up much more than that. $19mill/yr I'd say is the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    I doubt the Saints go up much more than that. $19mill/yr I'd say is the cap.
    That's the right number IMHO, but ill venture a guess that based on the saints current situation due to the bounty nonsense, and missing coaches, the number will creep over $20mil per.. that and there's not an actual qb behind him on the roster..

It's going to be more for brees. The saints have offered a contract in the neighborhood of what you posted. No dice. He countered with what pm was offered before he purposefully took less. Brees wants over $20 mil a year, matter of fact he's asked for $23 mil avg.
    Brees is severely over pricing himself. He has the same number of rings, and Super Bowl MVP's as Manning, 4 less NFL MVP's than Manning and holds one NFL record in a year where several people either broke it, or also came close to breaking it. I don't think he's even worth Tom Brady's contract.

Blog Entries
    Packers are adding seats to Lambeau Field. No doubt keeping Aaron Rodgers figures in that decision.
    The Packers are in much better shape than they were when they signed Brett's $100M deal roster wise.