Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't get it.

Blog Entries
    Asante Samuel was the second best corner in the league last year, behind only Darrelle Revis. This is ridiculous, especially consider they want to replace him with Rodgers-Cromartie who will never be better than a #2. $10M for one of the best defensive players in the league seems pretty fair to me.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Here's a link to the original article written by football outsiders. Pretty interesting article.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...ing-stats-2011
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Falcons sign Samuel to a 3-year, $18.5 million deal. So he's taking a big pay cut. No word on how the contract is broken down.

Thanks for the info, Kaba. I do wonder why more teams weren't interested in the guy, if he rated as the second-best corner last season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Falcons sign Samuel to a 3-year, $18.5 million deal. So he's taking a big pay cut. No word on how the contract is broken down.

Thanks for the info, Kaba. I do wonder why more teams weren't interested in the guy, if he rated as the second-best corner last season.
    Injury prone. He missed a lot of games the last 3 years (not so much last year though).
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

7th round pick for Asante Samuel and paying him $6M/year. Great move by the Falcons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    Injury prone. He missed a lot of games the last 3 years (not so much last year though).
    Seven games are a lot? BS. This is highway robbery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Seven games are a lot? BS. This is highway robbery.
    I apologize. I felt he was hurt a lot in 2010, and might have been one of the reasons the Eagles went for Namdi last year. Also, Amy loathes him, and she has expressed her doubts about him enough. He's a ball hawk that doesn't tackle, and part of the reason why the Eagles run defense is so porous, IMHO. Sure it's not his main responsibility, but it hurts teams when guys avoid tackling (my knock on Deion).

Might be as simple as locker room chemistry or cap room. The Eagles have been notorious about letting Vets go even with some juice in the tank (see Dawkins, Brian) to avoid contract disputes. Sure Samuel might have another good year in him, but they'd probably have to pay him more than they think it's worth. Renegotiating and having a grumbling player in the locker room might not be worth the hassle. Mike LOmbardi once mentioned that salary distractions are the worse things for locker room chemistry.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Give Dimitroff credit for being a savvy player in the non-draft market. Asante Samuel, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Turner. Ray Edwards was hurt last year: if he's healthy and productive this season, he could be a game-changer for Atlanta's anemic pass rush. The only big whiff Dimitroff has had on a free agent is CB Dunta Robinson.

Blog Entries
    One more good year? He'll only by 32 this season. It's not like he is Brian Dawkins age when the Eagles let him walk, which at that point he was a season away from being done. And hey, if I was Asante Samuel I'd be pissed too if I was that good and trying to be forced out to make room for a #2 CB...who also can't tackle.

With the Saints' woes, the Falcons have to be considered the favorite to win the south ... again. Seems like they're always the favorite in April.