Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Asante Samuel was the second best corner in the league last year, behind only Darrelle Revis. This is ridiculous, especially consider they want to replace him with Rodgers-Cromartie who will never be better than a #2. $10M for one of the best defensive players in the league seems pretty fair to me.
    Thank you. Apparently most choose to ignore overwhelming stats that support this. Dude is money every year.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

2. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    7th round pick for Asante Samuel and paying him $6M/year. Great move by the Falcons.
    Agreed ...the price was right and the Falcons are going to play more nickel and dime defense. He will fit that philosophy and scheme. He does his homework and film study....will jump a route or two. Is therefore vulnerable to the double move some.

It seems like revis and asomugha aren't as good as we thought. I said as much specifically about asomugha last year. Based on these stats, asoumuga wasn't as good as any of Pittsburghs 3 corners, and revis only beat out one of them.

Pittsburgh had 3 corners in the top 18.

Revis is a good corner. He's not as good as many would like to believe. Asomugha certainly isn't. Once asomugha was on a team with a better than legit #2, and he was targeted, he struggled. Asomugha isn't a shut down guy by any means. His success rate was barely over 50%. In Oakland when his #2 was a turd, he looked like a stud. Not so much in philly.

Revis is clearly a top 5 corner,but he's not as invincible as we all thought. The stats bear that out.

I thought less of captain can't tackle before I read that article..
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 04-26-2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: barley is only impotant in making beer, not football
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Matter of fact, based on these stats asomugha was the worst corner on the team last year behind drc, and Samuel. Just my opinion, but asomugha was way over hyped. He's not a shut down anything.. above average skills playing for a below average team. Once he had a second corner who didn't suck, he wasn't so great..

Perhaps it was scheme based, but the iggles just shipped off their best corner based on how they played.. they're hedging their bets on the future..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Asante Samuel was the second best corner in the league last year, behind only Darrelle Revis. This is ridiculous, especially consider they want to replace him with Rodgers-Cromartie who will never be better than a #2. $10M for one of the best defensive players in the league seems pretty fair to me.
    Was Revis even better? The first half of the season, he was his old self, but injuries slowed him down. Statistically speaking, Samuel may have been number 1.

Samuel did have a big contract and I don't necessarily blame Philly for getting rid of him because DRC and Nnamdi can hold it down just fine. But how the f did Atlanta get away with only giving up a 7th?? The Chargers got more for Charlie Whitehurst!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    Matter of fact, based on these stats asomugha was the worst corner on the team last year behind drc, and Samuel. Just my opinion, but asomugha was way over hyped. He's not a shut down anything.. above average skills playing for a below average team. Once he had a second corner who didn't suck, he wasn't so great..

Perhaps it was scheme based, but the iggles just shipped off their best corner based on how they played.. they're hedging their bets on the future..
    Now you're just being silly. Asomugha was just a few short years ago the best CB in the league bar none. He would still be a top corner too if Philly's defense wasn't, you know, being run by an offensive line coach who has no idea what he's doing.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Was Revis even better? The first half of the season, he was his old self, but injuries slowed him down. Statistically speaking, Samuel may have been number 1.
    Football Outsiders has Courtland Finnegan rated as the #1 CB last year. That should tell you all you need to know about these so-called rankings.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

iwatt,

You said exactly what I was thinking. But to add to that, why go to ATL where he's going to be in the same situation he was in with Philly and pretty much be a hinderance?

Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    Contract size and age. They need a slot corner, and they can play DRC and Namdi on each side. Asante was overpaid, and doesn't tackle. Just ask Patriot fans.

Blog Entries
    In Atlanta they'll play him at one of the sides, not the slot.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte