Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D Day is upon us!

D Day is upon us!

Tomorrow's the draft. I know many of you out there have been tinkering with mock drafts for your team.

Here's mine. What's yours?

Round 1. CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

Wavered on this briefly, but there’s too many signs that they want to go corner in the first round. I think Coples, Floyd, Gilmore or DeCastro could be the pick if they fall to this spot, but in the end I think it will be Kirkpatrick.

Round 1. WR Rueben Randle, LSU

IMO the #3 WR in the draft and a very good complement to AJ Green. It’s pretty clear they want another deep threat and also someone who can keep double teams off of Green. Randle can do both, and with Simpson now in Minnesota they probably can’t gamble too much with taking a WR later and relying on Binns and Simpson to get them by until a rookie is ready. They need to take a guy who can come in and play right away. Randle is a solid route runner, has deep threat speed, and can win jump balls. And he runs like a deer. I do think they will try to trade down a few spots before grabbing him.

Round 2. DE Jared Crick, Nebraska

Prior to being injured early in 2011, Crick was a borderline first rounder. Some may think this is slightly high for him, but he’s a great fit for the Bengals system. He was primarily a DT in college, but also offers you some pass rush. He doesn’t have the weight to stay at DT in the pros, but can fill a DE/DT tweener role. Has enough of a speed/power combo to challenge OT’s on the outside, and get push on guards in the middle. Relentless motor, which Marvin has cited as a must for his dlinemen.

Round 3. RB Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati

Make no mistake about it, longterm Pead needs to add bulk to his frame, particularly in his lower body if he wants to be a complete back in the NFL. In the meantime, he can have a limited role on offense while also contributing on special teams during his rookie year. He's a dual threat back if he can get his weight up (also needs to improve as a blocker). Have to be weary of Pittsburgh, who really likes him, trading up.

Round 4. OL Ryan Miller, Colorado

A versatile OL who has a good deal of experience at both RG and RT. Can come in and compete for the RG job while also being able to provide depth on the OL. Mammoth size at 6’7” 321 and could probably add another 10lbs.

Round 5. TE Brian Linthicum, Michigan State

A solid pass catching TE that needs to improve his strength to become a better blocker. A guy who likely can stick on the Practice Squad for a year and eventually replace Donald Lee on the roster.

Round 5. S Philip Thomas, Syracuse

A safety prospect that would probably go higher but was kicked off of the Syracuse team for breaking athletic department rules (haven’t seen what). I don’t know if there’s room on the team for another safety, but he could pay his dues on the practice squad for a year and prove he’s not a troublemaker.

Round 5. DE/DT Trevor Guyton, California

Reminds me of Clinton McDonald as a big man with good agility and quickness. Played mostly DE at Cal, but is likely a 4-3 DT at the next level IMO. I don’t know that the team will keep a 4th DT this year, but if they don’t he could be groomed ala McDonald on the practice squad and eventually be a backup to Geno Atkins.

Round 6. CB Conroy Black, UTEP

Don’t know a lot about the guy but he has good size (6’ 182lbs), and if he’d been invited to the combine he’d had been in the top 10 in both 40time (3rd) and 3-cone drill (6th) for cornerbacks.

49ers
    1) Kevin Zeitler, OT
    2) Derek Wolfe, DT
    3) Marv Jones, WR

I never go past round 3. It's just monkeys throwing poo at the wall by that point.

Here's what I'd like for the Bears, but highly doubt it happening..

1. Riley Reiff, OT/G
    2. Vinny Curry, DE
    3. Dwight Bentley, CB
    4. Billy Winn, DT
    5. Markelle Martin, S
    6. Jordan White, WR
    7. Dale Moss, WR
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

I think Reiff is a very real possibility for the Bears. IMO he'll be there at least. Not sure if Curry will.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 04-25-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    I don't like Randle or Crick. Really like Pead, Thomas and Guyton.

I agree with clem about just the 1st 3 rounds.

In a perfect world here's what id love to happen for the steelers.

1st- dontari poe, nt
    2nd- amini silatolu, og
    3rd- mychal kendricks, ilb

I don't think poe will be there. I suspect someone in the top half of the round loves him. I also don't expect silatolu to be there at the bottom half of rd 2. I've read quite a lot about him creeping into the bottom of rd 1.

I'm also pretty sure we will take a rb, a wr, and a qb. With the qb coming in the late 6th or 7th. Charlie batch isn't getting any younger!
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post

1st- dontari poe, nt
    2nd- amini silatolu, og

I don't think poe will be there. I suspect someone in the top half of the round loves him. I also don't expect silatolu to be there at the bottom half of rd 2. I've read quite a lot about him creeping into the bottom of rd 1.

I'm also pretty sure we will take a rb, a wr, and a qb. With the qb coming in the late 6th or 7th. Charlie batch isn't getting any younger!
    I don't see any of those picks happening. I think they'll all be picked earlier. You'll probably end up with Silatolu in the first anyway.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Lions:

1st - Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina
    2nd - Chandler Jones DE Syracuse
    3rd - Mike Martin, DT Michigan
    4th - Brandon Brooks G , Miami (Ohio)
    5th - Robert Turbin RB Utah State
    6th - Forfeited pick
    7th - Blair Walsh K Georgia
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Lions:

1st - Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina
    2nd - Chandler Jones DE Syracuse
    3rd - Mike Martin, DT Michigan
    4th - Brandon Brooks G , Miami (Ohio)
    5th - Robert Turbin RB Utah State
    6th - Forfeited pick
    7th - Blair Walsh K Georgia
    man, I hope you're doing some voodoo magic to make those first two picks happen!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post

1st- dontari poe, nt
    2nd- amini silatolu, og

My best guess is not my preference. If Poe is available, he's their first choice. If Cordy Glenn falls, he's their 2nd. I don't think either get to the Steelers. Three rounds is even a crap shoot, but I'll go 4 for fun.

1st- Dont'a Hightower
    2nd- Alameda Ta'amu (Brooks if Poe goes to them in round 1)
    3rd- (Can I hedge?) LaMichael James (Allen, Brooks, or Osamele make more sense if they fall to round 3, but this is a hunch call that they give the offense a new toy)
    4th- Marvin McNutt
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley