Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft thoughts so far- Steelers

Draft thoughts so far- Steelers

Now that the money rounds are in the books, ill assess, or more aptly give my thoughts on the steelers draft thus far. It won't come as a surprise this post is quite long!

Round 1 was pure unmitigated nirvana. We got a guy, no one thought would fall to Pittsburgh. He will be a day one starter, and hopefully keep Ben in one piece this year. And we got the guy we valued above anyone but the top 5 guys, and we sat in place to do it. Colberts streak of 1st round success, seems (even if its premature) intact.

2nd round is a mixed bag for me. We got huge value. Adams had a 1st round grade, on our board and many others, and we got him at the end of the 2nd. We need good offensive lineman. Our line sucks, has for a long time. Adams has the size and the skill to do the job. My question about the pick is all the red flags. He's inconsistent, and takes plays off. Worse than that he has off field issues. Tattoo gate, and the big dummy failed an open book test, the drug test at the combine.

He has redeemed himself some for the Mary j, by his actions in specific to the steelers brass. He was informed by his agent we removed him from our board completely based on the test. He grew up a steelers fan, and most wanted to land in Pittsburgh. He had the stones to call colbert and request a meeting. They discussed the issues and gave him ultimatums by which he could get put back on our board. I have huge respect for him going after what he wanted, and it makes me feel somewhat better he's made an active effort to correct his problems.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-adams-633466/

I love the value we got here. The kid can play when properly motivated, and motivation is NOT an issue in our locker room. Best case scenario, colon moves to guard (I've thought for a long time his lack of techniques and his extra dose of nasty is better at guard anyway), Gilbert and Adams man the tackle spots, with whoever is best suited on the blind side determined by on field play. Colon plays right guard, because he's nastier than decastro, and decastro plays left guard because he's got better movement skills in the trap and pull game, and better pass block ability. We have an all pro center. We could have gone from a bottom 3 line to a top 10 line.

Worst case scenario, Adams is who we think he is, and colbert gets egg on his face for violating one of his cardinal rules of no red flag players. Wasted 2nd round pick..

Now the 3rd round selection of Sean spence may or may not grow on me based on the rest of our draft. We need a nt. Ta'amu was there for the picking and we took spence. Irritated me a bit. The last true nt available in the draft, one of 2 mind you, drops to OUR late pick in the 3rd (when most mocks have him gone in the early 2nd) when our nt is broken AND 35!!

This is before I bring up he's not very strong, and struggles to get off blocks. Both are predicate factors in being able to be an ilb in our scheme. But watch the game tape and the kid is super productive. He makes plays. He can drop and cover. It's already been stated he's only going to be a special teams player this year.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...-farrior-james

Worst case scenario,he's another keyaron fox, who was a special teams monster for us. It's more value than the last 3rd rounder we picked at lb gave us. Bruce (something) from ucla. Totally useless pick. He did zero, added no value anywhere, so forgive me for forgetting his last name. I want to say Allen.. {he's not worth busting out my Google-fu}

Then it dawns on me. Perhaps this is finally the way we break the cycle of misuse of timmons. Timmons has been so miscast in our scheme its criminal. Mostly due to his experience in the system. I'll explain....

There are 2 ilb positions in lebeaus defense. Mack and buck. Timmons has been the buck. Farrior, now foote the Mack. The Mack calls the defense. Timmons ill assume hasn't been ready for that duty yet, but he's so out of position. The buck is the banger, the guy who absorbs and ties up blockers, while the Mack is the playmaker. The guy who flows to the ball and drops in coverage. Timmons is one of the best cover linebackers in the game. Foote is on borrowed time, and can't be a banger. So timmons gets stuck being under utilized.

If spence can pick up some weight and strength, he can be the guy tied up with blocks (I know he does that well) and timmons can do what he does best. Free to float and make plays. Spence is talented and smart but he's nowhere even close to the physical freak timmons is.

I'm going to hope for the best, and trust in colbert and tomlins picks. For now anyway.. for anyone other than trumpet who read all of that, thanks for reading! I look forward to comments about yellow tinted glasses, and the like

Hoping we get Ta'amu or Chapman in the 4th...
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 04-28-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    Great insight, thanks. Unleashing Tim Mons might be unfair to the rest of the league though. :-)
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Nice job, Mike. My guess is that they have some questions regarding Ta'amu, of which I couldn't tell you exactly why, and have another option in mind later in the draft. If that other option is Josh Chapman, then I'm fine with it. I'm sure there are also a few under the radar guys they've found as late round options. Remember, a guy like Chris Hoke was undrafted, and a bit undersized for the nose, but did a very nice job filling in for them. I'm sure they'll find something that will be useful, then if need be, further address the position next year.

I am thrilled with the Mike Adams pick. I pm'd you about possibly stacking the O-Line in this draft depending on how things fell, and getting a true tackle like Adams is worth the risk. The red flags don't concern me much, because it is a good locker room that always seems to get max production out of players. The last 1st round talent they got from OSU with red flags (Santonio) was never an issue on the field, and was a hard worker. That didn't change until he ended up red flagging himself into dysfunction. Hopefully Adams can mature off the field and make this pick a huge steal, but the accountability he showed by requesting that meeting is a huge step in the right direction for a 22 year old.

Do I even need to break down my thoughts on DeCastro? Absolute perfect fit. He's a Faneca/Hutchinson clone, and him replacing Chris "The Human Penalty Flag" Kemoeatu may be the largest upgrade in starters in the entire league, and that's even before DeCastro gets some actual NFL experience to aid his development.

Their selection of Spence was very interesting. I had heard they were high on Mychal Kendricks, and he seems like a similar player, at least in size and production. But while I feel Kendricks would have been meant as a true Farrior replacement, I can see a couple of scenarios for Spence. I could see them bulking him up a bit, and utilizing his skill set to finally unleash Timmons. Moving Timmons into Farrior's old spot will make him one of the top 3 LBs in the league, in my opinion, and is the most important off-season development they can make. Forget about Larry Foote, their best option is to move Timmons, let Stevenson Sylvester take on Timmons old role, and let Foote act as solid depth. Then, Spence can spend the year developing in prep to take on Timmons' former position full time.

The other option with Spence, based on his size and skill set, is that they develop him similarly to how they developed Carnell Lake 20+ years ago. Lake was a LB at UCLA, but quickly developed into an all-pro SS, and was so good in coverage, he (legitimately) earned a pro bowl berth as Rod Woodson's replacement at CB the year Woodson went down with an ACL. Safety was not incredibly strong in this year's draft, but depth at that position is a definite need, so perhaps they were being creative with Spence. Either way, I've completely talked myself into this pick.

From a fan perspective, I'd love to see them nab Josh Chapman at some point, unless Ta'amu continues to fall. That's the biggest goal today. They also may look for another rush LB. Other than that, I expect that much of their focus will on on the offensive side of the ball. Considering Mendenhall's injury, I think they'd like to find a compliment to Isaac Redman, and any 3rd down capability would be a plus. They did just resign Leftwich for a year, but I think that a guy like Case Keenum may be a 6th or 7th round target for them. I can also see them going WR at some point. My personal favorites are Keshaun Martin out of MSU and Marvin McNutt out of Iowa. McNutt is an injury risk, but has a very intriguing combo of size and speed. TE could also be a possibility, although Wesley Saunders has shown some real promise behind Heath Miller. Saunders is suspended for 4 games to start the year, but I doubt that suspension will alter their draft plans at all.

At this point, it all becomes about best available value, but after 2 days, I love that the Steelers were able to take their biggest team question mark, and turn that into an immediate strength. Gilbert/DeCastro/Pouncey/Colon/Adams is a young, nasty, athletic line that is young enough to gel together for years, barring injury. In 3 years, if all falls right, that has the makings of a top 3 unit in the NFL.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    And with Ta'amu now in the fold, this draft has officially hit beyond even a best case scenario for Pittsburgh. I've never been more happy with a draft, and the rest of the picks are all officially gravy. An RB and a potential backup QB would be nice, but zero complaints. Thrilled.

-Marion Motley

do the steelers not still have a major hole at running back, or is it just me?

Blog Entries
    They'll take an RB at some point, but a major hole? No. Redman will be fine, and John Clay and especially Jonathan Dwyer have shown real promise. They could use a back for 3rd down, and a change of pace, but that's about it. And Mendy will be back at some point this year to add to the depth, if nothing else.

The biggest hole remaining on this team is safety depth. The Steelers are saying that they expect that Sean Spence will add weight and perhaps start out as Timmons' backup as the Mack. But despite the Steelers immediate denials, I'm not alone in thinking that they may ultimately groom him, due to his size, speed, tackling ability, smarts, and instincts, as a strong safety.

Let's face it, in rounds 5-7, you're not looking to fill needs, you're looking to get lucky on a player or 2. My guess is they're done with the interior. Save for a QB, I can see them going for athletic guys and hoping 1 or more stick.

-Marion Motley

I'm surprised the Steelers did not take Robert Turbin from Utah State. He would have been a good fit for you guys.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    And with Ta'amu now in the fold, this draft has officially hit beyond even a best case scenario for Pittsburgh. I've never been more happy with a draft, and the rest of the picks are all officially gravy. An RB and a potential backup QB would be nice, but zero complaints. Thrilled.
    I concur 100% trumpet!!! Love our draft haul! I expect a speed back at some point (we have plenty of power backs) , and perhaps a couple wrs. I don't see a qb necessarily now, since we resigned batch and leftwich.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

didn't jonathan dwyer get cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    didn't jonathan dwyer get cut?
    Nope. We have redman, dwyer, clay, batch, and mendy are all on our roster. Mendy will start the season on pup...