Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Article: TOP TEN ... BOTTOM FIVE

Blog Entries
    Which is why I said "I" didn't like the pick. I think he would have been there in the early 2nd. None of the teams at the end of the 1st would have taken him, and only a handful of teams picked in front of them in the 2nd. I don't think it was a value pick at all, and they still have nobody to throw the ball to. I hope Trent Richardson enjoys 8 man fronts.

2. The Bengals drafted 10 players that all have a shot at making the final roster. With a lot of their picks they got stronger and smarter, never bad things. They hit most of the areas they needed to and built depth to the young foundation of the franchise. The only position group they missed was LB, so they signed Vontaze Burfict (and all of his issues) as a free agent. Running back was also not addressed until the sixth round with "Boom" Herron of Ohio State, so Colorado RB Rodney Stewart has been signed as a free agent as well. Got value at just about every position in this draft. Will the Bengals make the playoffs back to back seasons for the first time since 1981-82?

Blog Entries
    Points of divergence with you, Turk:

TOP 10 LIKES

4. Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers had to address their O Line. Getting David DeCastro and Mike Adams was prudent, and necessary to the health of Big Ben. I think they had a great draft, picking players I would prefer in red, white, and blue at almost every turn. I hate them for it.
    7. Philadelphia Eagles - I liked the fact that they addressed the defensive side of the ball with 4 of their first 5 picks. With an entire offseason ahead, this team will be dangerous if the defense improves and they don't turn the ball over so much on offense. See above.
    10. Buffalo Bills - I liked their draft. They addressed a lot of needs. I really liked their 2nd round pick Cordy Glenn, he's massive and athletic ( I thought he would go in the first round). This team could break their playoff drought this season, Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have done a nice job putting this team together. I think they were guided by need at the top. I like the back half well enough, I suppose, or at least can't manage a hearty argument. I like much of what they've been doing, but at about a 67% rate. Gilmore I might get convinced on, but to pass up both Melvin Ingram and Vinny Curry makes me grind my teeth.

BOTTOM 5 DISLIKES

4. Miami Dolphins - Didn't like them taking Tannehill this high. I would rather have liked seeing them take Michael Floyd while getting their QB later (possibly Tannehill by trading up from their 2nd rd pick). I just think that they were pressured into taking Tannehill, and that usually doesn't work out as planned. I hate the Dolphins, soooo....
    2. Jacksonville Jaguars - This offense was putrid last year. Taking a punter in the 3rd round over an offensive player just doesn't make sense. Do they think the punter is going to be one of their better offensive players? If so, it could be another long offensive season for the Jaguars. Roadkill is sometimes fascinating.
    1. Seattle Seahawks - I didn't get their draft strategy. They reached in the 1st and 2nd rounds, then drafted a back up at best QB in the 3rd. They have 4 RB's listed on the roster but took a RB in the 4th round.
    Just didn't understand their thinking I guess. Not so much a disagreement except on Wilson, who I think can be fantastic. I think you give Petey too much credit in assigning the word "thinking." I suspect he has a holistic approach, based entirely on on personal chemistry. If his heart rate increases and his face flushes when he meets a guy, he takes him. Dude's goofy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lapham View Post
    The Bengals drafted 10 players that all have a shot at making the final roster. With a lot of their picks they got stronger and smarter, never bad things. They hit most of the areas they needed to and built depth to the young foundation of the franchise. The only position group they missed was LB, so they signed Vontaze Burfict (and all of his issues) as a free agent. Running back was also not addressed until the sixth round with "Boom" Herron of Ohio State, so Colorado RB Rodney Stewart has been signed as a free agent as well. Got value at just about every position in this draft. Will the Bengals make the playoffs back to back seasons for the first time since 1981-82?
    Is there somebody new in the scouting department over there? Seriously.

5. Great list, Turk. And judging by how you felt about how the Redskins, Cowboys and Eagles all did, it's safe to say that the defending Super Bowl Giants have their work cut out for them. But what else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    Is there somebody new in the scouting department over there? Seriously.

well, there are a few new guys added recently.

More importantly, I think its about doing a better job of finding guys that fit your philosophy, not just picking high profile guys because you think you're getting a steal.

Old Bengals would have drafted Vontaze Burfict in the middle rounds. New Bengals waited and signed him as an UDFA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    well, there are a few new guys added recently.
    I suspect the two go hand in hand. That kind of improvement after twenty years is unlikely to come form the same crew (Raiders, anyone?)

8. Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    Any love for the Brown's draft? I think they made gutsy moves in the first round by targeting playmakers. I know they needed wr's but Richardson may end up being the next Adrian Peterson. They don't come along that often. With Weeden they get a guy who's already been a pro athlete. As far as his age, he's a year older than Roger Staubach was when he joined the Cowboys. As to their other picks I have no clue, but if they hit on these two who cares?
    I liked their #1 pick a lot, they just didn't crack my top 10.

9. Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    As for your list Turk, if Andy Reid and Company can get the kind of max value they've gotten with some prior groups, their draft class might end up being the best of all of them. The only real headscratcher is Nick Foles. But given what Reid and Morninwheg have done with AJ Feely, an aging Jeff Garcia and, most importantly, Kevin Kolb, even that pick gets the benefit of the doubt.

Cox will be a day one starter and should be disruptive. Curry adds depth and speed to an already dangerous Wide Nine defensive front. If Boykin has gotten past his injury issues, he'll be on the field in nickel situations and will contribute on ST. Mychal Kendricks (LB) is being compared to former Cal teammate Aldon Smith. They grabbed a couple big midwestern OL in Dennis Kelly (OT) and Brandon Washington (OG) and have hired Howard Mudd who will coach 'em up.

Pretty solid draft for the Squiggles.
    Completely agree, they could move up the list easily!

10. Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    The AFC North will continue to be the toughest division in football after the Steelers, Bengals and Ravens all did a great job in the draft. And the Factory of Sadness will be a bit more sad after the Browns were quintessentially the Browns.

Once again Cousin Baalke mystified everyone with his picks. After last years' success no one made fun of him though. Instead everyone said "well if Baalke likes the guy he must be good..." I'm not sure I like the addition of two speedy midgets but hey, what do I know? I thought the 49ers would Suck4Luck last year.

I wonder if Chandler Harnish will take Ms. Irrelevant up on her offer?

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/crazy-...mr-irrelevant/

This girl's picture should be in the dictionary next to "crazy eyes".
    She has the same look that Jack Lambert had when I looked at him while calling the cadence. I tried to stay away from him ... so my advice to Chandler ... I'm going to have to give him a call!!