Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Article: TOP TEN ... BOTTOM FIVE

1. Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Coming back to Cleveland's trade-up and selection of a running back. Last year:

In retrospect, anyone here think this was a good move? Or a bad move?
    Too early to judge, let this season play out, then we will all have a much better perspective on that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    The short answer to your question is no. However, here is the argument I will make in favor of the Browns' decision. The only receiver who would have truly improved the Browns' corps that we had the ability or willingness to draft was Kendall Wright. They passed on Blackmon to take Richardson, Floyd was going to go in the teens, and Wright could potentially have been available at #22. Wright was a more appropriate choice for the Browns than Blackmon and Floyd because he would have brought a different set of skills (notice, I said set, not level) to the receiver corps. It didn't work out. The rest of the receivers, from Brian Quick to Stephen Hill to Mohamed Sanu, are projects who will not start until--at the earliest--the second half of this season. They have good physical skills, but they are not starters, and I don't think you can afford (if you are the Browns) to draft non-starters at #22 and #37. Here I am judging the offense as a unit. I think a powerful, consistent running game; a stronger, taller, more accurate quarterback; and a durable, competent right tackle will improve receiver player more than any one individual receiver we might have taken at #22 or #37. Unless I am wrong, I do not think Mohamed Massaquoi should be a Y-receiver really anywhere in the NFL (okay, maybe Jacksonville), but I do not think that the Browns were a Y-receiver away from being more competitive. The areas where drafted and where we improved, on the other hand, will have a much, much more significant impact on our offensive performance and our ability to win games.

Going back to the set of skills argument, this is why I think Benjamin was an excellent choice in the 4th round. He gives us something different from what we already have, as a fast, explosive player to bust seams and keep safeties honest.

We need to remember that there's a draft next season, and the season after that. The Browns will have first round picks, unless something drastic happens. It would be nice to use a higher pick on a receiver--it would also have been nice to use one on a defensive end, too--but you can't address every need in one draft. I think we took players at positions which are more important to winning football games than wide receiver is (especially since we're not talking about A.J. Green here).

certainly could have had Alshon Jeffery at 22.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    certainly could have had Alshon Jeffery at 22.
    So? We could have had Alshon Jeffery at #37. He does not make us better than what we drafted. The Browns did not need a big, physical receiver. They have a big, physical receiver. They needed a burner.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Til Greg Little stops dropping every other pass, he's barely a #2. I think the Browns are better than they were. TR is certainly a huge upgrade. I'm personally not a fan of the Weeden pick, although by no means do I think Weeden is a bad player. I just think they drafted him early, and I think that with no proven WRs, either QB and TR are going to be under fire all season.

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    So? We could have had Alshon Jeffery at #37. He does not make us better than what we drafted. The Browns did not need a big, physical receiver. They have a big, physical receiver. They needed a burner.

you honestly think that?

Blog Entries
    When a runningback is drafted as high as Trent Richardson he has to be an immediate game changer or he's a bust, so the Browns draft has that factor. As far as the Weeden pick goes, if he can stay disciplined and play within himself, take what the defense is going to give him, he can be successful, and the Browns become a factor in their division. It's really all on Trent. Remember how the Vikings went to the playoffs with AP and Tavaris Jackson? Jackson read like half the field on a good day. Weeden could be better than that out the gate. In this case, his age may serve him well. This kid is new to the NFL, but it's wrong to consinder him a rookie. Having a grown man at qb could be a good thing. I really think it hinges on the running game. The O line is a unit. Look what the Steelers get done with their guys. If they can coach them up, they can get some production, control some tempo, you know, AFC North ball.

Blog Entries
    You'll get no argument from me that Little needs to improve, but I don't think you draft a receiver because a rookie--who would have almost certainly gotten a first-round grade in 2011 if he had played the previous season--dropped passes. You're certainly right that he (and the receiving corps as a whole) dropped too many balls, and if he has the same problem next season, then we should address it in the draft. Picking Little in the 2nd round in 2011 was a step toward fixing the problem at wide receiver, and I think he deserves more than eight starts' time to adjust to the league. The position of right tackle has been a gaping problem since 2008, and it needed to be corrected as well, so I think we should let Little play enough to know what we have. We may (and I think we do) have something at receiver; we had nothing at right tackle, a position more critical to protecting Richardson and just as critical to helping Weeden as adding a wide receiver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    you honestly think that?
    Yes, I think I've made it abundantly clear that I do. I could be wrong, and I certainly have been before, but I think my logic is sound.
    @kocsan

I would like to send a shout out to the Seahawks and Jets. I was sure Melvin Ingram was going to one of you but somehow fell to us at 18. Everyone in SD applauds your decisions.

10. Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Yes, I think I've made it abundantly clear that I do. I could be wrong, and I certainly have been before, but I think my logic is sound.
    i think you're over-valuing the current crop of WRs and under-valuing the draftees. that's just my gut feeling, do with it what you like. for a team running the west coast offense with the league lead in drops last year wide receiver was a greater need than quarterback going into this draft.

i don't think weeden's arm strength really solves much, especially in the west coast offense, which guys like jeff garcia could run efficiently without a cannon for an arm.

my perfect draft for the browns in order of priority (not round) was richardson 1st, wr 2nd and o-line 3rd. stick with mccoy one more year with those upgrades around him and see what happens, if it doesn't work, then move on to another qb.

as an aside, i heard the same argument about possibly getting rid of mccoy too soon with, dare i say, tim couch, and that he didn't have the tools around him to be successful. i'm certainly not arguing timmy was just a wide receiver away from looking like drew brees, but the brownies have made qbs walk the plank before and carry the team without much support.

the most painful part of the draft for me was the trade down in the 3rd. they had a chance to nab at least one relatively decent receiver prospect at that point and flushed it.

the first pass weeden throws in a regular season game will be dropped, you heard it here first! ;P