@kocsan

Blog Entries
    ...and here's the best I could do for the Charter Induction Ceremony:

That's Don Hutson, they tell me.
    @kocsan

Ice Bowl.

Classic NFL Films selection.

Blog Entries
    6 is killing it. Fantastic selections. Hadn't even thought of the initial HOF ceremony, to be honest, but it was a complete oversight. Not sure I'd have taken it in my spot over MNF, but it would have been a fantastic debate. Plus, it allows me to plug myself and Polish as the only two who selected 2 separate members of that class for our All-Time NFL Team last year (he had Hutson and Baugh, I had Nagurski and Hein).

And the Ice Bowl, signified by the final play. Absolutely something I was hoping would fall into the 2nd round.

Can't argue with either 6. Great end to round 1.

Tubbs is on the clock
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Ice Bowl.

Classic NFL Films selection.
    I thought the NFL Films selection was a great pick. When Biggie talked about how he could remember the League before twenty-four hour coverage and the sports variant of 'cable news,' I was thinking that I could never remember a world without ESPN, but I could remember one when their afternoon programming schedule wasn't some melange of sportswriters screaming at each other about nothing. I spent so many rainy afternoons, when I couldn't be outside playing football or baseball or basketball with my friends, depending on the season, watching grainy, archival footage of old pros cobbled together by NFL Films. I loved--and still love--the myths, the hyperbole, the romanticized vision of a violent, unrefined past I never got to see but still felt connected to. The extent of my football playing career was as a wide receiver (read: play relay guy and decoy) and as a defensive back (particularly safety) in junior high, but when I delivered a more or less harmless lick on another ten year old in the service of the St. Christopher Knights, I got to imagine myself as Dick 'Night Train' Lane clotheslining defensive receivers, or when we fought a traditionally better St. Bernadette team to a 0-0 draw in the mud or beat St. Raphael for a league championship, I got to believe that we were following in the footsteps of Lombardi's Packers or my parents' Browns of the glory days of the '50s, '60s, and '80s. It may be mere schoolboy enthusiasm, but that is the joy of football that can only be taught at a certain age and playing as I was after the Browns' move, history became the only real link to the League for me and my city, and I can't overstate the role that NFL Films played in shaping that. Maybe for others it's different, but that's my story.
    Last edited by mkocs6; 05-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    6 is killing it. Fantastic selections. Hadn't even thought of the initial HOF ceremony, to be honest, but it was a complete oversight. Not sure I'd have taken it in my spot over MNF, but it would have been a fantastic debate. Plus, it allows me to plug myself and Polish as the only two who selected 2 separate members of that class for our All-Time NFL Team last year (he had Hutson and Baugh, I had Nagurski and Hein).

And the Ice Bowl, signified by the final play. Absolutely something I was hoping would fall into the 2nd round.

Can't argue with either 6. Great end to round 1.

Tubbs is on the clock
    Thanks, Trumpet. I figured the early Super Bowls and the 1958 NFL Championship would go early, but I was struck at the 'first moments' that were going off the board--the founding of the league, the first draft, the start of free agency--and I was trying to think of what other 'firsts' were left. Obviously, I've gushed over Kaba's nod to the historic preservation work of NFL Films, but it must have been the baseball fan in me that made me think of the Hall of Fame and how great the moment was in 1939 when they gathered in their charter class. Plus, I got to keep my first pick in Northeast Ohio, where it belongs.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    No 6, you're wrong. The AFL/NFL merger has played the most monumental role here. With no merger, there's no NFL films, there's no Mnf, there's no superbowls, there's no tv deals.

I'm clearly shamelessly politicking, but the merger was the predicate moment that enabled all the others to happen, other than the old old school picks. And without the merger the league may have disappeared due to strife between the two leagues.

No merger, no modern NFL. The prior moments were worthy picks, but stop gaps to keep moving forward. They weren't events that shifted the paradigm completely. They were stop gaps to keep operating. They were innovations, but they didn't completely shift the paradigm. The merger did.

Thanks gobig for being my technical assistant so far, and posting a video on my behalf! I appreciate it!

Damn Droid!!!
    I would just like to point out that the belief that football before 1970 doesn't matter is an extremely convenient one for a Steelers fan to hold.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    I would just like to point out that the belief that football before 1970 doesn't matter is an extremely convenient one for a Steelers fan to hold.
    Excellent writeup by Andy about the pre-1972 Steelers for those who never read it.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    I would like to point out, that a browns fan just pointed specifically to football before 1970, and how convenient that view is.

I didn't take anything away from the old school picks and their historical significance to the league today, just politicking for what I view as the game changer. The event that formed the league we have today, that cultivated and necessitated tv deals, among others that are still bedrocks of the way the league does business.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    Why rip my singular play Mike and not the one chosen a few picks before mine?
    Because in my opinion, and in the opinion of the majority of the football watching populace "the catch" is a truly transcendent moment in NFL history. It's a sure fire, first round selection. Everyone will agree to that.

The play you selected was a huge play, but in the greater scope of in all of NFL history, in my opinion, its not even close to a first round pick. It's not even a second round pick for me. I can think of at a minimum 10 singular plays that rank in front of this one.

We've still not seen any commentary from you, as to why you selected it. You certainly need not give any, but some personal commentary to add some of your own context would help ...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.