Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Moments Draft Thread

I select Super Bowl I

There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

With the 7th pick, I select, "The Catch."

If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Reggie White, et al. v. National Football League, et al.,
    Special_master: Stephen B Burbank
    Case Number: 4:1992cv00906
    Filed: September 21, 1992
    Court: Minnesota District Court
    Office: MPLS Office
    County: XX US, Outside State
    Presiding Judge: David S. Doty
    Referring Judge: Special Master

The case and agreement that is the basis for the 5th era in professional football, and it's most popular. (1st- pre-platoon, 2nd-pre merger, 3rd merger to '78, 4th post '78 - pre FA, 5th post '92),
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

With the 9th pick in the draft, wxwax selects:

September 17, 1920: The birth of the professional football league.

A group of men gathered in Canton, Ohio at the Hupmobile showroom of Ralph Hay, owner of the hometown Bulldogs. Representatives of four Ohio football teams—the Akron Pros, Canton Bulldogs, Cleveland Indians, and Dayton Triangles—meet in a Canton automobile showroom to form a new professional football league. Initially called the American Professional Football Association, the organization will eventually be renamed the National Football League.

Blog Entries
    With the tenth pick in the Draft, Team KMF selects The Creation of NFL Films
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Team Pruitt chooses: The First NFL Draft - 1936.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    Team Tubbs chooses: David Tyrees catch in SB XLII to defeat the undefeated Patriots.
    Last edited by tubbs1518; 05-05-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Alright, Kocs fans. Here we go:

Our first selection: The Charter Induction Ceremony of the Pro Football Hall of Fame (7 September 1963): Located in Canton, Ohio, the Hall of Fame preserves the memory of the sport at the site of the league's birth in northeastern Ohio. The first induction class in 1963 included: Sammy Baugh, Bert Bell, Joe Carr, Earl 'Dutch' Clark, Harold 'Red' Grange, George Halas, Mel Hein, Wilbur 'Pete' Henry, Robert 'Cal' Hubbard, Don Hutson, Earl 'Curly' Lambeau,Tim Mara, George Preston Marshall, John 'Blood' McNally, Bronko Nagurski, Ernie Nevers, and Jim Thorpe.

Our second: The Ice Bowl (31 December 1967), Brown Right 31 Wedge: After a brief conversation with Vince Lombardi, this was the call in the huddle from Bart Starr before he carried the ball into the end zone on the final drive and winning the 1967 NFL Championship, concluding one of the most fabled games in league history. (You'll notice the odd numerical call for a quarterback sneak. Apparently, Starr wanted a blocking scheme on a play normally drawn up for the fullback, but decided to forgo the handoff.)
    Last edited by mkocs6; 05-06-2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: 'Kocs_fans'
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    tubbs has informed me that he will be unable to make his pick today. So Pruitt is now on the clock, and tubbs can catch up when he's able to make a pick.
    Last edited by Trumpetbdw; 05-06-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Going Brown-centric here. 1950 season opener: Browns crush the Eagles in their first game after coming over from the AAFC.

Lazily, I'll let Wikipedia tell part of the story:

After winning each of their titles, the Browns challenged the NFL champion to an interleague championship. Unfortunately for fans, each year the NFL refused.[31] (Of course, by playing such a game the NFL would legitimize the AAFC and risk more prestige.)
    In December 1949, with both leagues financially exhausted but now at peace, a profitable interleague playoff was now both possible and desirable. Although Pittsburgh's Art Rooney, whose Steelers were among the shakiest NFL franchises, publicly advocated such a game, most of the NFL was unwilling to risk defeat at the hands of their vanquished, supposedly inferior rival.[32] Officially, however, commissioner Bert Bell maintained that the NFL constitution barred such a game.[24] The football world would have to wait to see how the Browns matched up against the NFL's best.
    All would not be lost for fans, however. Bell appreciated that the Browns were now an important asset to the NFL, and scheduled a special Saturday night game between them and the NFL’s two-time champion Philadelphia Eagles to open the 1950 season. While not quite an unofficial interleague playoff, what took place on September 16, 1950, was no ordinary regular season game.
    The defending champions of two leagues that had never met on the field were about to play, foreshadowing tensions present in the early Super Bowls of the 1960s. At last the Browns would have the chance to prove themselves, and by extension the AAFC, against the NFL. There was tremendous anticipation from fans and the press, which called the game “The World Series of Pro Football”.[3] Although the game was played in the Eagles’ city, it was not played on their field: because of the huge crowd expected, the game was moved from Shibe Park to Philadelphia Municipal Stadium,[33] site of the Army–Navy Game. Attendance was more than 71,000: more than any previous NFL or AAFC championship game and one of the largest pro football crowds to that date. (This figure also surpasses Super Bowl I and nearly matches Super Bowls II and III.) There was even a most valuable player award, unheard of for a regular-season game.
    As it turned out, “The World Series of Pro Football” resembled Super Bowl III nearly two decades later. As with the 1968 Baltimore Colts and New York Jets, the Eagles were widely considered one of the NFL’s strongest-ever champions, while many discounted the Browns’ success in their “inferior” league. The result was just as shocking: the Eagles underestimated the highly motivated Browns (coach Greasy Neale did not even scout the Browns’ preseason games),[34] while Paul Brown found some previously unknown weaknesses in the widely imitated “Eagle Defense”. The Browns led 14-3 at halftime and dominated the rest of the game to win decisively, 35-10. Quarterback Otto Graham was named the game’s MVP.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur